autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to use Griot's Garage to detail your car - A detail job Richard Griot would be proud of!

I noticed you used the 5.5" "thicker" orange pads instead of the 5.5" BOSS "thinner" orange pads. I've used both of these pads on a 8mm random oprbital and I feel the thicker 5.5" orange pad rotates better than the thinner BOSS orange pad. Why? The thicker orange pad is a bit more firm, which doesn't allow the pad to bog down as much. Do you agree, Mike?
    '03 Corvette Z06

Mike Phillips

Re: How to use Griot's Garage to detail your car - A detail job Richard Griot would be proud of!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe@NextLevelDetail View Post

A1 write up

Thanks Joe, takes a little time do these types of how-to articles. I appreciate the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post

I noticed you used the 5.5" "thicker" orange pads instead of the 5.5" BOSS "thinner" orange pads.

I've used both of these pads on a 8mm random orbital and I feel the thicker 5.5" orange pad rotates better than the thinner BOSS orange pad. Why?

The thicker orange pad is a bit more firm, which doesn't allow the pad to bog down as much.

Do you agree, Mike?
    Yes I agree that a stiffer thick pad will rotate better than a thicker soft pad.

As for pad rotation over all for these thicker Griot's pads the key is the Griot's simply has the power to rotate them. That's another plus for the Griot's 6" DA Orbital Polisher over other similar 8mm options.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

Yes I agree that a stiffer thick pad will rotate better than a thicker soft pad.

As for pad rotation over all for these thicker Griot's pads the key is the Griot's simply has the power to rotate them. That's another plus for the Griot's 6" DA Orbital Polisher over other similar 8mm options.

Thanks!

With today's pad/polish technology, I think people underestimate the correction power of the 8mm random orbital(especially the GG 6"), even on hard clears.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    Thanks!

With today's pad/polish technology, I think people underestimate the correction power of the 8mm random orbital(especially the GG 6"), even on hard clears.

Lots of new people to machine polishing all the time and they haven't been around long enough to know millions of cars have be de-swirled using only the first generation Porter Cable.

I was there when it was introduced so I remember. The key thing is great abrasive technology followed by the right pad for the tool and the job. Then technique.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome write up not one detail left out! May i ask how long does it take for you to create these articles? i see many all over AG and are VERY VERY helpful! Thanks mike for everything you do for the site!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Thenissanguy View Post

Awesome write up not one detail left out!

May i ask how long does it take for you to create these articles? i see many all over AG and are VERY VERY helpful!

Thanks mike for everything you do for the site!

Thanks for the compliment.

Just to note... somewhere in the forum world Joe Fernandez gave me credit for coining therm write-up as it's used in the forum world. This would be back in the early days of Autopia when I started posting complete step-by-step write-ups including before, during and after pictures of the products, tools and process.

Thanks Joe. I rarely see others give due credit where credit is due in the online detailing world. Most of what I see is other guys stealing stuff or sharing stuff with no mention of where they got it.

As for time?

I don't know, a few hours not including the time it takes to actually do the work on the cars. Mostly it's looking through ALL the pictures taken and picking out the pictures that are in focus and tell a story.

After that the pictures must be

• Named
    • Have the fluff cropped out
    • Resized
    • Uploaded to the gallery
    • Inserted into a thread
    • Add the words

It's the pictures that tend to take a long time and because for most people figuring out how to make pictures magically appear in a thread is difficult this is my guess as to why others don't do this, including other guys in the industry that are "Instructors".

I'm the only guy I know that teaches a comprehensive car detailing class and boat detailing class that also posts full write-ups from the classes.

I'm also the only guy I know that's a recognized trainer in the industry that writes full blown how-to articles with pictures on a forum.

Anyone can post a pictures and a few sentences to Facebook, that doesn't require any time or skills. With Facebook it's incredibly hard to actually share an article with formatted text and pictures in a linear fashion. That's where a real forum excels.

That and Facebook is what I call fleeting, that is whatever is posted disappears after a few minutes with all the new posts piling on top of it. It's hard to find something posted more than a few hours ago and hard to link to anything specific.

One thing for sure... everyone on Facebook is an expert now days.

Post Thanks / Like

��������������������

Post Thanks / Like

Mike another one that you hit out if the ballpark. Thank you. Phil

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Griots Garage sent me those screw plugs about a month ago... the GG6 look so much better.. Baby Boss lol

Post Thanks / Like

^ are they selling them separately?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast