autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Coating choice help for 997 GT3

I might be working on a white 2012 Porsche 997 GT3 very soon. He(my uncle)wants it coated and paint corrected. My question is what coating. I know this question has been asked several times, and I've read up a lot on coatings through this forum. But I want to be very sure on this since it will be my first coating application.
    I'm willing to use any of them but for me I really want:

-Looks: It's got to look fantastic. I really want the Porsche white to pop!
    -Protection: The whole point of a coating. Obviously what we are looking for with a coating, but not necessarily 100% of the reason for the coating
    -Value: I want to be able to coat at least the GT3, and my TSX. I would like to still be able to coat other cars as well, but for sure those two.
    -Somewhat easy application. I'm a fast learner so this shouldn't be a HUGE problem

I was looking at PBLv2, DP, Optimum, or Blackfire.
    I wasn't really considering CQuartz since I've heard that it is a little harder to apply, and you really need to maintain it with reload. He lives about 5 hours away from me so I wouldn't be able to do that myself, he would have to. And I don't necessarily want to make him do that. I haven't really looked at GTechniq much, as it seems like it isn't quite as popular here as the others.
    I really appreciate the help guys! I realize I'm going to get lots of opinions, but if they all really are for all intensive purposes the same, then that's ok I guess. This isn't for a show car, just something that me and my uncle are really excited about.
    And if you guys could give me some pointers on other products I need for this. I know ipa, but is there anything else? Also, which microfibers would you guys recommend for buffing high spots. Please recommend ones I can get from AG. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coating choice help for 997 GT3

its a coke/Pepsi or Mercedes/BMW question that has no right answer. Ease of use and looks on white Pinnacle wins although I don't have experience with the others. I use Pinnacle or CQUK on all my coatings and they both deliver for different reasons. UK is MUCH harder to apply so I'd stay clear of that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by medicscott View Post
    its a coke/Pepsi or Mercedes/BMW question that has no right answer. Ease of use and looks on white Pinnacle wins although I don't have experience with the others. I use Pinnacle or CQUK on all my coatings and they both deliver for different reasons. UK is MUCH harder to apply so I'd stay clear of that.
    I kind of figured that.

But for the Pinnacle, does it have to be maintained with the black label line? Or can it just be washed with normal car shampoo and detail spray?

Definitely won't use UK here in Texas!

Post Thanks / Like

C1 & EXO

CQuartz UK

Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

22ple VX pro2. Easy to apply. Nice long cure time 8-10 minutes. 3 years of protection, great looks, great performance. You should be able to get three cars out of 30 ml. Being your first time coating a car you may only get two. You can also go with the 22ple VX pro. It's a little less expensive. 2 years protection. Cure time is 3-5 minutes so still plenty of time to work with it. Another nice thing if you do miss some residue as long as you catch it within a 4-5 hours you can just take more product and go over the area again and remove it instead of having to repolish the whole panel and re coating it.

Post Thanks / Like

I love C1/EXO also and use it regularly. I don't know if I would recommend using them for your first attempt at a coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    I love C1/EXO also and use it regularly. I don't know if I would recommend using them for your first attempt at a coating.
    EXO on its own is ok to do for a first time coating along with CQUK and even Gloss coat. Very easy to apply as long as you work in small sections as you should anyway.
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Evan.J View Post
    C1 & EXO

CQuartz UK

That GTS looks sick!!!! Would you recommend C1 and EXO for a first application though? And can it be maintained easily with non-GTechniq products. He would be washing with CG citrus wash and gloss. He would probably use a CG detail spray

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    22ple VX pro2. Easy to apply. Nice long cure time 8-10 minutes. 3 years of protection, great looks, great performance. You should be able to get three cars out of 30 ml. Being your first time coating a car you may only get two. You can also go with the 22ple VX pro. It's a little less expensive. 2 years protection. Cure time is 3-5 minutes so still plenty of time to work with it. Another nice thing if you do miss some residue as long as you catch it within a 4-5 hours you can just take more product and go over the area again and remove it instead of having to repolish the whole panel and re coating it.
    Haven't really heard of this one. Are those curing times about average for coatings?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Evan.J View Post
    EXO on its own is ok to do for a first time coating along with CQUK and even Gloss coat. Very easy to apply as long as you work in small sections as you should anyway.
    Really? I didn't even think about the fact that I could put EXO on top of another coating. Would it play nice with a PBMG coating?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast