autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC or GG?

Post Thanks / Like

PC or GG?

So I noticed that for an additional $10 I can get a GG 6" over a PC 7424XP. I know that a selling point on the PC for beginners is that it will stop spinning if too much pressure is applied. The GG touts that the 7 amp motor allows the unit to keep spinning when more pressure is applied. Will any DA stop spinning at some point? I want to get the most for my money, but does the 7 amp GG introduce more dangers than the 4.5 amp PC? I would appreciate some feedback. Remember that I am a beginner and have never used a machine. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: PC or GG?

IMO you can't go wrong with either. However, that being said. Most or at least the majority will tell you to get the Griot's Garage 6" and IMO you can't go wrong. It is a more powerful machine and can have the same adapters and pads like the PC. Additionally, it has a lifetime warranty. Your correcting time will be faster (my assumption) than the PC7424XP.

People on this site rave about the GG 6".

Now a little devil's advocate...I HAVE THE PC7424XP!! Blasphemy!! It has been a wonderful DA for me and I still use it for sealant/waxing. I did upgrade to the Flex 3401 as I felt the PC was on the weaker side of correcting and polishing. It still has a purpose and will always be in my arsenal for detailing.

If I had to do it all over, I would lean to the GG6" as (from what I read and hear) it is the more powerful machine and you could probably correct faster. As for amps that would be a "no-worry" for me.

Whether you choose the PC or GG as a starter...are good choices. You will get many other opinions but do what you feel is the best!!

One thing is for sure...once you start using a DA (any brand) you will be telling yourself "WHY DIDN'T I DO THIS LONG AGO!!"
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Have a GG 6 (with 5" backing plate and 5.5" pads) since I first started machine polishing. It's just as safe as the PC, but won't stall at the slightest curver or crease. There isn't anything it can't handle with the right products, pads (5.5") and backing plate (5").

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    IMO you can't go wrong with either. However, that being said. Most or at least the majority will tell you to get the Griot's Garage 6" and IMO you can't go wrong. It is a more powerful machine and can have the same adapters and pads like the PC. Additionally, it has a lifetime warranty. Your correcting time will be faster (my assumption) than the PC7424XP.

People on this site rave about the GG 6".

Now a little devil's advocate...I HAVE THE PC7424XP!! Blasphemy!! It has been a wonderful DA for me and I still use it for sealant/waxing. I did upgrade to the Flex 3401 as I felt the PC was on the weaker side of correcting and polishing. It still has a purpose and will always be in my arsenal for detailing.

If I had to do it all over, I would lean to the GG6" as (from what I read and hear) it is the more powerful machine and you could probably correct faster. As for amps that would be a "no-worry" for me.

Whether you choose the PC or GG as a starter...are good choices. You will get many other opinions but do what you feel is the best!!

One thing is for sure...once you start using a DA (any brand) you will be telling yourself "WHY DIDN'T I DO THIS LONG AGO!!"
    I too have the PC, and from what I've read, I would recommend getting the GG as well. I haven't used the GG, but the PC is on the weak side, and I often wish it had a bit more power to keep the pads spinning better.

Post Thanks / Like

I would agree with Kamakaz. I first started out with a PC. If the GG machine was available at that time and i knew then what i know now i would've gone with the GG. A DA machine is, in my opinion, a very safe yet much more efficient means to work on vehicle paint. If you were considering a rotary i would be doing everything i could to talk you into a DA considering you have no machine experience. I might also attempt to talk you out of a Flex if you had that in the mix.

Basically what i'm saying is you are the perfect candidate for stepping up your game into the DA arena. Any DA and because of that, get the better of the 2 in my opinion...the GG unit. Once you get it in your hands you will realize how easy it is to use and it won't be very long after some experience and familiarity with it when you want a little more "punch". Get it from the start!

Post Thanks / Like

Another PC owner who recommends the GG. I also upgraded to the Flex. I think if I would have started with the GG with it's stronger motor I probably wouldn't have upgraded...or at least not nearly as soon as I did.

Post Thanks / Like

Well this sounds like a no-brainer! Thanks everyone!

Post Thanks / Like

GG6 is tight. i was honestly surprised at how strong it is.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

with the plethora of different pads and polishes/compounds these days, there isn't really much you can't do with the GG6...
    i am the jump starter.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the PC7424XP and I have never wanted for more power. When it stops spinning, its telling you there is something wrong with the technique. As Mike Phillips once said, if he cant correct something using a PC, he grabs a rotary.

Here are some additional intangibles: The PC is, or at least was Made in Mexico and has a stellar durability reputation. The Griots is made in China and although it has a lifetime warranty, has a higher fail rate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.