autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What would be the most effective way to remove Meguiar's #7 Show Car Glaze

I intend on getting this Glaze/polish for xmas and have heard that it is rather tricky to remove

what would be the best way to apply by hand and how to effectively remove this fantastic product.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What would be the most effective way to remove Meguiar's #7 Show Car Glaze

Detail spray or waterless wash removes it easily. Just spray and let sit for a minute or so, and it wipes off. Honestly, water in a spray bottle is just about as effective at removing excess, however, there is no lubricity from water.
    You can use a cotton or microfiber polishing cloth to apply, or a soft towel, folded into small sections. Work small areas at a time until slick feeling, then move on to next area. I like 4x4 inches to 4x8 inches. Any larger and it dries too fast and is difficult to work.

As far as I know, it's always applied by hand. Mike Phillips wrote an article about using it on single stage paint.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ge-paints.html
    Last edited by Blackthorn One; 11-30-2012 at 11:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

If this doesn't "creep you out" you may find some help in here: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...eping-out.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    If this doesn't "creep you out" you may find some help in here: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...eping-out.html
    My experience is that removing of dried on #7 after it is left to soak overnight is far more difficult to remove than wax. It is so difficult to remove that I would not attempt to remove it without at least water, lest I mar my single stage black paint in the process, by rubbing so hard.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JakeyDill View Post
    I intend on getting this Glaze/polish for xmas and have heard that it is rather tricky to remove

what would be the best way to apply by hand and how to effectively remove this fantastic product.
    Just do small sections and don't let it dry. What is your intention with this product?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthorn One View Post
    My experience is that removing of dried on #7 after it is left to soak overnight is far more difficult to remove than wax. It is so difficult to remove that I would not attempt to remove it without at least water, lest I mar my single stage black paint in the process, by rubbing so hard.
    It is a pain to remove if dried. Not sure if Mike mentioned this: If you let it on overnight, the best way to remove it is to reapply more #7 then wipe it off. Basically rewetting the dried stuff with fresh product and it makes that process much much easier.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    Just do small sections and don't let it dry. What is your intention with this product?

It is a pain to remove if dried. Not sure if Mike mentioned this: If you let it on overnight, the best way to remove it is to reapply more #7 then wipe it off. Basically rewetting the dried stuff with fresh product and it makes that process much much easier.
    Indeed using more #7 removes dried on #7 well, but nowhere near as well as using water or detail spray. There is no comparison as far as the ease. Unless there is a reason not to use a detail spray or water, I will use water or a detail spray after the water in order to save money on #7, unless I am going to apply more #7. I admit I have left #7 on for days and have been concerned about dust settling into the#7 and possibly marring the finish if I didn't remove it ever so gently. This is how I discovered the effectiveness of waterless wash, then detail spray, then water.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthorn One View Post
    Indeed using more #7 removes dried on #7 well, but nowhere near as well as using water or detail spray. There is no comparison as far as the ease. Unless there is a reason not to use a detail spray or water, I will use water or a detail spray after the water in order to save money on #7, unless I am going to apply more #7. I admit I have left #7 on for days and have been concerned about dust settling into the#7 and possibly marring the finish if I didn't remove it ever so gently. This is how I discovered the effectiveness of waterless wash, then detail spray, then water.
    Very true but if you are really trying to restore SS paint and saturate with 7's oil's, I find using 7 to remove 7 to be the best way. Seems WW's or QD's remove some of the oils IME.

All comes down to personal preference!
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    Very true but if you are really trying to restore SS paint and saturate with 7's oil's, I find using 7 to remove 7 to be the best way. Seems WW's or QD's remove some of the oils IME.

All comes down to personal preference!
    I concur. WW and QDs do remove the oils, however, water doesn't really remove them.It just removed the dried on paste portion. There is still an oily film left on after using water. As long as you are still in the process of applying coats of #7, simply adding more #7 is the best way, particularly if you cover it with saran wrap, to keep out dust. I believe using a plastic cover might also increase the effectiveness of the absorption as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Work one pannel at a time and use two quality microfiber towels when removing! I like to use one hand to take the bulk of the glaze off and the other towel to finish the pannel to a shine! Your towels will fill up quick so don't be afraid to switch out towels half way around the car!
    Keep Calm... and Detail On!

Eric

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

My intended use of this product is too fill in any remaining cracks and alleys in the clear coat of my paint to further smooth'n the paintwork to create an even deeper wet look and to provide a smooth surface for easier waxing and I assume a more durable coating of wax due to the ultra smooth surface.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast