autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

LSP - The Definition and the story behind the term

LSP - The definition and the story behind the term

Copyright ©PBMA - AutogeekOnline.net® All Rights Reserved

Back in the early 1990's I used the term LSP when talking to a customer about detailing their car and as I used it in conversation it meant,

LSP = Last Step Product

Last Step Product means the last product to be applied and then removed off the paint before making the final wipe and then returning the keys and the car back to the owner and saying, it is finished.

Some people have thought that it means Last Step Protectant and it can mean that if you want to use it that way but it originally meant Last Step Product and there's a distinct reason for this, let me explain.

While most detailers work on cured paint, that is a car that has the original factory cured paint, my work included clients with freshly painted cars, or clients that didn't want their car's paint sealed with either a car wax or a paint sealant.

When working on freshly painted car, that is paint that is less than 30 days old, there is not a single paint manufacture that recommends sealing the paint before at least a minimum of 30 days air-cure has passed to insure any and all solvents or other ingredients used to thin and spray the paint have had a chance to outgass unhindered.

Car Waxes, Synthetic Paint Sealants, or Hybrid products, which is a blend of both natural protection ingredients combined with synthetic protection ingredients, no matter which one you use, all three types act to protect paint by doing a number of different things but one of these things is they seal the paint by coating over it and depositing their protection ingredients onto the surface.

It is this coating over and sealing with a sacrificial barrier coating that paint manufactures recommend a waiting period of at least 30 days and sometimes 60 or 90 days as recommendations differ between paint manufactures.

Because some of my work would involve sanding and then compounding and polishing paint that is less than 30 days old, the Last Step Product wold be a fresh-paint-safe Glaze or non-abrasive Pure Polish, not a wax or paint sealant.

Also, some of my customers owned cars that were on display only, never driven and instead of using a wax or paint sealant to lay down a coating of protection, they would request the car only be polished using a Glaze or non-abrasive Pure Polish.

Most companies that create products for use in body shops where fresh paint is sprayed also offer fresh-paint-safe Glazes and/or non-abrasive Pure Polishes and these types of product can be used on both fresh paint and also on cured paint if a person so desires. Because they are fresh-paint-safe, or "Body Shop Safe", they are usually water soluble and offer no protection in the way you think of a Car Wax or Synthetic Paint Sealant offers protection.

The point being, when I coined the term LSP, in the context I was using it, it meant Last Step Product because not all my last steps included applying a protection product like a car wax or paint sealant but instead included fresh paint glazes and polishes.

Anyway, that's what the term meant, the last product you apply before you make your final wipe and the job is finished.

Now days in the discussion forum world most people use the term in a way that means Last Step Product or Last Step Protectant but in both instances the words Product and Protectant are used in the context of a paint protection product like a car wax or paint sealant.

Perfectly okay by me, I just thought I would share the original meaning behind the word.

Cleaners versus No Cleaners
    There has also been instances where people would define the term LSP to mean Last Step Protectant and the word Protectant specifically meant a finishing wax or a finishing sealant, not a cleaner/wax of any type.

If you're doing production detailing work and you're using a one-step cleaner/wax or cleaner/sealant, and this is the last product you apply to the paint, (and usually the first and only product you apply to the paint), then in a situation like this it's completely possible for a cleaner/wax to be the LSP, as in the cleaner/wax is the Last Step Product.

As near as I can track down, here's the first use of the acronym LSP on a discussion forum that dates to October 25th, 2003 and it was by me when posting to a thread about a new paint sealant that ended up becoming NXT Tech Wax.

!!!!! Meguiar's Lab Sample "d"!!!!! - Page 3

Post #68

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips
    Tomorrow, If I'm lucky, I will be meeting the owner of one of the original Batmobiles. If I'm even luckier, the owner will give me permission to detail his treasure. If I am granted this blessing, (a detailers dream come true), I will not hesitate to use this next generation of polymer technology as a last step product, (LSP), after first massaging-out the existing defects and bring the surface to a super smooth, high gloss finish.

And that's the story...

2. Likes Dano shine, PM5C liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: LSP - The Definition and the story behind the term

Aaa~ so that's what it really meant. I would be one of those who thought LSP is the waxing/protecting part. You made it all clear Mike! Good story shared! Enjoyed reading them! Thanks!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by shineshine View Post
    Aaa~ so that's what it really meant. I would be one of those who thought LSP is the waxing/protecting part. You made it all clear Mike!

Good story shared! Enjoyed reading them!

Thanks!

Hi shineshine,

Was working on the glossary of my e-book and just found your reply to this thread...

What did Paul Harvey used to say...

"Now you know the rest of the story" -Paul Harvey

Post Thanks / Like

I need to know did you get to detail the bat mobile?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by FlawlessJ View Post
    I need to know did you get to detail the bat mobile?
    I've buffed out Nate Truman's recreation of the Batmobile. It's actually as accurate as any of the originals and everything works. Most of the originals don't run.

Nate tracked down the identical parachutes used on the original and also the World War II Camera seen below the jet turbine...

Nate's is a daily driver that damn near causes accidents all over Southern California every time he takes it out.

This is Nate's Batcave and that's me buffing...

After buffing it out the first time, (it was a swirled out mess), I asked Nate to bring it to Meguiar's for an Extreme Makeover along with my friend Dane's "Joker Truck".

Then I invited all our forum members to come down and help out as that's my style... I could do all the cool cars I work on by myself but instead I invite others to join in the fun...

Batmobile Extreme Makeover - Pictures & Comments

The Joker Truck
    Machine Dampsanding

Hand-sanding the curve in the door panel...

Working around the truck...

I actually sanded and buffed this truck twice because of damage and customizations over a couple of years it was being built. The cab was cleared with one type of clear and the bed was cleared with a different paint system and no one told me. I figured it out pretty quick when I found my sanding marks were easy to remove out of the cab but difficult to remove out of the bed.

As a detailer, you always need to be ready for the unexpected...

I arranged to have a number of my customer's bring their cars to Meguiar's while I worked for them for "Extreme Makeovers" and just to give my forum friends a chance to work on some cool cars... we did an extreme makeover on my buddy Nate Trueman's 1966 Batmobile recreation and I though it would be fun to have the "Joker" meet the "Batmobile"

Photos Courtesy of Meguiars Online
    (Anytime I use a picture from my days at Meguiar's they request a reference)

I take a lot of pictures but find taking pictures in the dark a little challenging but you get the idea...

Batmobile meets the Joker Truck

Better than all of the above was watching my son play in it all night long while it was at Meguiar's.

Rand

7. Likes Dano shine liked this post
    Mike Phillips

And while we're talking about Batmobiles...

Every Batmobile I've ever seen is a swirled-out mess. Nate's was that way before a little TLC. Saw one and took pictures of it at the Petersen Museum and it was a swirled-out mess.

There's one in the John Staluppi Museum and it's completely hacked to death with swirls... most of the cars in the Staluppi Museum have swirled-out, horrific paint jobs.

I met John a couple of times and even gave him a copy of my book and made him a general offer of being willing to help him in any way including working with his people that work on his cars and never heard from him again.

Cars of Dreams

Last time I walked through the museum it was very crowded so it was hard to get good shots of any of the cars. To be honest I was so let down in the quality of the finish on the cars I didn't even want to invest the time in trying to get pictures of the cars. Here's what I got for the Batmobile...

All the paint looks like this...

It's a shame to have such a cool car in his collection and have it look so horrible...

9. Likes RiverDog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great story Mike!

Post Thanks / Like

Can dp poli seal be used as a final lsp

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
    Great story Mike!

Well it's true. What I shared is exactly where the term LSP came from. It's kind of cool to see it become a part of our normal detailing discussion not only on this forum but on all forums and even outside the forum world.

Quote Originally Posted by Irishwoodchuck View Post

Can dp poli seal be used as a final lsp

Yes, of course!

Mike Phillips

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast