autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Tesla and OptiCoat Romance w/ Questions

Hello Everyone!

Been a long time since I have been on the site. Quick background was a weekend warrior with detailing. Currently own 2 trucks. One a 4 door LTZ Silverado and a tacoma single cab. I had the good ol' opticoat prior to the change to the new formula. I Detailed and put it on myself onto the Silverado and love the results. Proud of the job I did if I do say so myself. Now to present day (3 years later) I'm going to be buying a Tesla 70D and want it opticoat. I see formula for it has changed and curious was you guys think of it now. I want the same effect as I currently have. I also have considered taking the Tesla to a detailer to have them apply it. The detailer is authorized through Optimum and the website, Big D's, says there opticoat and opticoat plus. Opticoat plus they say last 7 years and can't understand what make the two different since I would assume its same product. can anyone of you out there tell me what I am missing? I love how Opticoat works at least original formula and don't know how well this new formula is and how durable and long lasting it is. I'm willing to put in work myself if I have too but rather have it done professionally just to save my time.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tesla and OptiCoat Romance w/ Questions

The Opticoat Plus is a topcoat on top of the regular Opticoat, to give it more gloss and slickness. I'm guessing it's similar to the Gloss-Coat consumer product.

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing last for 7 years.Do it your self with uber or glosscoat super easy.

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately only authorized installers can apply opti coat, so unless you have some left over you applying it yourself is no longer an option. I used to be an opti coat installer and can personally say that I never saw a discernable difference appearance wise between Pro and Pro Plus.
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VP Mark View Post
    Unfortunately only authorized installers can apply opti coat, so unless you have some left over you applying it yourself is no longer an option. I used to be an opti coat installer and can personally say that I never saw a discernable difference appearance wise between Pro and Pro Plus.
    Why did they stop selling it? Is it not on auto geek anymore? If so, what a shame. Works amazing on my current vehicle

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAMAROZL1 View Post
    Why did they stop selling it? Is it not on auto geek anymore? If so, what a shame. Works amazing on my current vehicle
    Oh, sorry I missed that part of your question. You're talking about Opti-Coat 2.0, which was the consumer version of Opti-Coat Pro.

There was a big stink a couple of years ago about non-authorized installers using Opti-Coat 2.0 and people thinking they were getting Opti-Coat Pro which carries a warranty. So Opti-Coat 2.0 was dropped and replaced by Gloss-Coat, which is a semi-permanent product (3 years).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAMAROZL1 View Post
    They sell Gloss-coat, but it is not near as durable or scratch resistant.
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Gloss-Coat® is your only option as an end user as Opti-Coat® Pro and Opti-Coat® Pro Plus are pro only. But Gloss-Coat® is redicilously easy to apply and lasts for 2+ years. It's very glossy and slick feeling (prep is key).

Opti-Coat® Pro Plus adds instant "pop" and better contact angle heading to the base coat of Opti-Coat® Pro. Where Opti-Coat® Pro get glossier over the first week as it cures, the Opti-Coat® Pro Plus is super glossy right away.