autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Machine Polishers correction time(s)!!

First and foremost, this is not a debate of which tool stalls and which one doesn't nor is this a debate of which machine reigns supreme. With that mentioned...

I was wondering about the following in a general sense:

Flex 3401 has been proven to correct faster than the average DA, am I right?!

In comparison to the new long throw polishers on the market, some may make the claim that it has helped them cut their correction time in half

Is this only true when it comes to long throw vs. average DAs since the stroke is nearly doubled/tripled?

What about long throw correction time vs the Flex 3401? Is the difference marginal?

What are your thoughts?

I apologize in advance in case there is already a thread out there about this topic.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Machine Polishers correction time(s)!!

Only thing I've ever seen posted in regards to a real time comparisons was Mike Phillips comparing the Rupes 21 to the Rupes 15. Both the Flex and long throw polishers should correct faster then a free spinning 8mm DA but, I don't think it reduces the time in half. Opinions will be all over the place as to whether Flex or long throw corrects faster and you likely won't get the answer you're looking for. I could give you my $.02 but at the end of the day you need to choose which tool best fits you.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't used a Rupes so I can't comment about them. The Flex 3401 I can. It saves a tremendous amount of time for me. Especially when you compare that to a PC7424 XP. IMO the Flex 3401 is a machine that will reduce your correcting time significantly.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

If you are looking for outright correction power/speed, nothing touches a rotary machine.

Post Thanks / Like

Not to depart from the intended and specific questions comparing certain machines, i will wholeheartedly agree with Mike. The reason i went to a rotary was purely based on correction speed. Forced rotation never gives up the intensity of the effort. While it cuts faster it also has the tendency to leave behind unwanted affects that i sometimes correct with my free spinning DA. With that said, the Flex 3401 employs the forced rotation of a rotary AND utilizes DA to effectively work down better.

With regard to Flex vs. Rupes vs. Boss etc, i can't offer any direct experience with them all to compare correction times however will still say my preference (careful gang...i said MY experience) i am a fan of forced rotation to lower my time spent correcting.

Again, this is just my experience and opinion. I am anxious and open to hear others here.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    If you are looking for outright correction power/speed, nothing touches a rotary machine.
    True story

Post Thanks / Like

And if it comes down to the longer throw machines cover more area given the same pad size, i would guess one could argue it could do more area in less time?

Post Thanks / Like

People need to keep in mind that the Flex is 8mm offset and the rotation is fixed, which maxes out at 480rpm. With the free spinning large throw DA tools, they are capable of producing far more rotation then the Flex 3401.
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, good point Rasky. Given that reminder would you think it has any significance in time to correct?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Puckman View Post
    Yes, good point Rasky. Given that reminder would you think it has any significance in time to correct?
    On a flat panel, all variables the same, I believe the large throw corrects noticeably faster and finishes better too, but It's not a huge time savings. Each has their pros and cons and the Flex can use 4" pads, meaning it can be the only tool you need on some cars, not all. The Flex may work better with a wool pad too, but I've not tried them on the Rupes/BOSS as MF already works so well. Rotation really shouldn't be an issue anymore with the BOSS and especially the new Mark II tools.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast