autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Flex 3401: A Machine of Beauty

Yesterday I finally used my new Flex 3401 and all I can say is wow, why did I wait so long?
    Although I am not a pro detailer, I have a full size 1-ton dually truck, a 28' TT (soon to be traded in for a large 5th wheel) and my wife's Prius to maintain. Also, I have a defective front cap on my TT which suffers from premature oxidation. So I was looking not only for more speed, but a little more oomph than my Griot's Garage could provide. No knock against the GG, it served me well and will continue to, now set-up with 4" pads, but the forced rotation of the Flex and more ponies were too hard for me to ignore any longer.
    So the oxidation has gotten really bad and it was time to tackle it since the temps here in Phoenix are now much more comfortable to work in. I started with the LC 6" Hybrid blue wool pad with 3M marine compound which removed 99% of the oxidation, more and faster than the GG. There were a few stubborn spots remaining, so I switched to the LC orange hybrid pad for those areas. Next I went to a white pad and the 3M marine polish which really cleaned things up very nicely with the best shine I have had to date. Finally, I switched to the black LC hybrid pad to apply 3 coats of Meguiars Flagship marine wax. I am under no illusion the oxidation will not rear it's ugly head in a short time, but when it does I now have the tool to handle this task quicker, which at my age and limited time is a good thing. In reality, if I planned to keep the TT, because of the poor cap, I would have it repainted by a pro RV/Truck painter, but not willing to invest the money for a short time.
    I am thankful for the helpful replies to some questions I posed on this forum prior to purchase. Also, I am thankful for the Mike Phillips book which help me better understand this fine machine and become very comfortable with it right out of the gate. Mike's book is a must for any new first time owner of the Flex.
    Sincerely, Bruce
    2015 Ram Big Horn CC 3500 Cummins DRW w/AISIN tranny

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex 3401: A Machine of Beauty

Im in the same boat with you! Just got mine a couple weeks ago and havent looked at my GG6 since. I have a 4" plate and pads for it though so I can use it still! lol
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Hermes1 View Post

I am thankful for the helpful replies to some questions I posed on this forum prior to purchase.
    AGO is unique from most topical forums be they detailing related or any other topic in that there are no bullies on this forum or egomaniacs. Questions are encouraged and answered in a polite and helpful manner as is the reputation of our community. And I know most other forums are not like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermes1 View Post

Also, I am thankful for the Mike Phillips book which help me better understand this fine machine and become very comfortable with it right out of the gate.

Mike's book is a must for any new first time owner of the Flex.

Thank you very much for your kind words and I especially appreciate that you included this in your post.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember answering some of your questions in another thread you posted and I'm glad it's worked out for you. Enjoy your Flex!

Post Thanks / Like

Way cool to see that you are enjoying the Flex 3401. It is a beast of a machine and it is my favorite!!

I too have made my (PC7424XP) my mini-DA. I have set it up to accept 1" Pads all the way to 5" Pads.

Either way welcome to the Flex Force!!

Luke Skywalker
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    Im in the same boat with you! Just got mine a couple weeks ago and havent looked at my GG6 since. I have a 4" plate and pads for it though so I can use it still! lol
    Cool. My GG6 is now fitted with the 4" plate & pads for tight areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Thank you very much for your kind words and I especially appreciate that you included this in your post.

You are welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    I remember answering some of your questions in another thread you posted and I'm glad it's worked out for you. Enjoy your Flex!
    Yes your help was appreciated and thanks again. I am really looking forward to using it some more.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    I too have made my (PC7424XP) my mini-DA. I have set it up to accept 1" Pads all the way to 5" Pads.

Either way welcome to the Flex Force!!

Luke Skywalker
    This is what I have done. I had the GG 3" which I as others have found is under powered and of little use to me, where as the GG6 has good power so with the 4" pads I hope it to serve my needs. I may have to look into also including 1" pads to the arsenal as I already see where they would come in handy for a few applications.
    Sincerely, Bruce
    2015 Ram Big Horn CC 3500 Cummins DRW w/AISIN tranny

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing Bruce. I really love my 3401 as well.