autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newby question

Post Thanks / Like

Newby question

So I've been lurking long enough and need to ask a question about polishers...what's the best buffer/polisher for a complete Newby who has never messed with any power tool on paint? Local store sells the flex series and Porter-Cable. Anyone? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newby question

I would say it depends how much you want to dive into this lovely addic... I mean passion. I would say if you aren't sure that a Griots Garage polisher is a good starting point. If feel pretty confident that you will want to do it for a while and maybe you have a daily driver you can work on, the flex is a very popular model.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AGO.
    The Porter Cable is a great starter PC. I have both the Flex and PC. The Flex is a beast. But if your budget is limited you can't go wrong with the PC. I still use the PC and it will always have a place in my detailing arsenal.

The Griot's Garage 6" is also a good starter too.
    But whatever Polisher you decide to get; YOU MUST get Mike Phillips book of how to get a Show Car finish. That alone will teach you what to expect and how to take care of your ride...PERIOD!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info already guys! I can afford the flex but is it better than the pc or the groits?

Post Thanks / Like

Massively better!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mattmann View Post
    Thanks for the info already guys! I can afford the flex but is it better than the pc or the groits?
    The Flex is in a different league...it is the only "forced rotational" DA on the market.

All others are "free floating" DA's. It will take care of correcting and polishing in 1/2 the time the PC will. I cannot comment on the GG6" as I have never used it. I would assume it would be about the same.

If you have the $$ get the Flex....additionally, get Mike Phillips book on how to use the Flex too!
    CJ
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same dilemma.

Went with the flex as overtime you will want to upgrade to the flex. Might as well get it now and never look back

Kamakaz above is the one who helped me back then too and i'm really glad I went with the flex. Its a beast, there is a learning curve but you will learn it in no time at all! (Thanks Kamakaz )

Post Thanks / Like

There are a ton of threads dealing with your question. If you want to get a good overview of opinions do a search and you'll have plenty to read.

IMO someone new to machine polishing should get the Griots Garage 6" (GG6) polisher, equip it with a 5" backing plate and 5 or 5.5" pads. With the right polishes it has the torque to handle anything you throw at it without worrying about the polisher stalling when you apply pressure and on concave surfaces--it also has a lifetime warranty so if something goes wrong 3years down the road just call Griots and they'll either repair or replace it. You can also get a 3.5" backing plate and 4" pads for the tight spaces like bumpers.

Then after you've experienced machine polishing for a while you can decide if you need something like the Flex, Rupes 15/21 or the Griots Boss 15/21 and you'll have more knowledge by then to help you decide which will best meet your needs. And, your GG6 won't go to waste as you can leave the 3.5" backing plate on permantly for the small bits.

Also, here are some threads by Mike Phillips that will help you out: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-phillips.html

Forgot to mention--Griots products are on sale this weekend--I believe it's 15% off and free shipping over $150

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emmjaygti View Post
    I had the same dilemma.

Went with the flex as overtime you will want to upgrade to the flex. Might as well get it now and never look back

Kamakaz above is the one who helped me back then too and i'm really glad I went with the flex. Its a beast, there is a learning curve but you will learn it in no time at all! (Thanks Kamakaz )
    Wow so Cool!! You are Most Welcome!!!
    CJ
    Save the Manual!

Super Member Detail-Impressions's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AGO.
    Pick the drug of your choice, once this detailing has you hooked, like drugs.
    Your CC and wallet will be empty.. haha

Really there are so many choices on the market right now its crazy, and after SEMA I am sure something new and better is around the corner.

If your a young man with good physical shape, you will not be disappointed with a Flex! Its a breast and can handle any thing you throw at it.
    21mm machines do the same thing but with more finesse and pad, compound/polish combo.
    There are still many more types out on the market and its like which car/truck is the best?
    They all do the same thing/polish your car/truck. They all work or would not be on the market.

So pick your drug and join all of us...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast