autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Purchasing a Flex XC3401: Could Use Some Help with Pads

In anticipation of ordering a Flex (upgrading from GG 6") I have been reading a number of threads on this forum regarding pads, specifically size. Initially I was getting the idea, the 5" would be a better choice for first timers on this machine and was thinking this would be the way to go. After further using the search feature, I have read where others seem to indicate the 6.5" may be easier on the learning curve so I am confused. As you know this is an expensive investment and as of right now, I am not sure if I want to invest in both 5" & 6.5" pads, unless I can be convinced this would be to my benefit. Here is what I will be using it on: in addition to my wife's Prius, I have a 1-ton CC w/8' bed pick-up truck and a 28' travel trailer and likely to be replaced by a large 5th wheel in the near future.

Finally, from what I have learned the Lake Hybrid pads are a very good choice for this machine, is that true? What about CCS pads? Thank you.
    Last edited by Hermes1; 10-08-2015 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Content
    Sincerely, Bruce
    2015 Ram Big Horn CC 3500 Cummins DRW w/AISIN tranny

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Purchasing a Flex XC3401: Could Use Some Help with Pads

I personally love the hybrids on my 3401. Both the 5" & 6.5" are great. Now if you're only going to be using it on your rides, the 6.5's would be fine. Also since the Prius has a lot of flat surface area. You could just get a smaller BP for your GG6 to use 3"-4" pads for the tight areas. I have used Hydro Techs, CCS, B&S and they all worked well. But IMO the Hybrid is the best foam pad for use on the 3401.

Post Thanks / Like

Hybrids rock on the flex!

I use both 5" on the LC BP and 6.5". The Flex does get warm and I had a issue with my LC BP melting after 3 panels (AG replaced). I now have the LC BPs on both my Flex's and swap out after each panel.

The flex likes to walk a little and the bigger pads multiply it. Not a steep learning curve but different than the GG. After a little time on the machine you'll be good to go with either pad size you choose. So... Bigger pads = more coverage per pass. Smaller pads = slightly less work while using the machine.
    I find myself using 5" pads more often than not but I think I would swap to the 6.5" pads if doing a 5th wheel.

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

We showcase both at our Detailing Boot Camp, and most people end up preferring the 5 inch size because it's a tad smoother.

I would stock up on 6.5 inch pads regardless, because when you polish a vehicle with big, flat panels like a pick up truck, you'll appreciate the larger size.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome choice with the Flex. If it were me I would get both sizes. The 5" Lake Country Hybrids are more of a "finesse" type pad and the 6.5" are more of the "tackling a big job" type pads.

Once you learn the technique of the Flex (able to handle the walking and pulling away); you can do almost everything when you are correcting.

You will realize significant time saving and once you master the Flex in terms of technique; you will never look at another DA the same.

If it were me I would keep the GG 6 and use it for the minor correcting with a 3" BP.

Either way your choice in the Hybrid Pads (5" or 6.5") you will not be disappointed.

As for melting the BP, I have not had any issues what so ever. I do make sure that I will put a little oil on the felt ring just above the BP.

I think the Hybrid Pads were created for the Flex. Additionally, Mike Phillips sells a book on how to use the Flex. I would get that too!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

I would go for the 6.5" pads first. I had some 6.5" hybrids for my rotary and I ordered some 5" pads and the smaller bp when I bought the flex. I should have tried it with the bigger pads before buying the others because I haven't used any of the smaller pads yet. The big pads work great and you can really cover a lot of area with them. Also, once you get the hang of using it, you can get into some pretty tight areas with the larger pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent and helpful replies, thank you all. I think I will go with the 6.5 first and the 5" a little later, since my travel trailer and truck have a lot of surface area to cover.
    Sincerely, Bruce

Post Thanks / Like

Bruce, the Hybrid pads are the bee's knee's on the 3401 without a doubt. You can't go wrong with them. They were designed for the characteristics of this machine.

Seeing as you have larger vehicles to maintain you would be better off with the larger 6.5 pads as they will enable you to cover much more surface area compared to the smaller 5" pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    Bruce, the Hybrid pads are the bee's knee's on the 3401 without a doubt. You can't go wrong with them. They were designed for the characteristics of this machine.

Seeing as you have larger vehicles to maintain you would be better off with the larger 6.5 pads as they will enable you to cover much more surface area compared to the smaller 5" pads.
    This is my thinking and hope, thank you for your reply. As such I will get the 6.5" pads.
    Sincerely, Bruce

Post Thanks / Like

I like green and blue buff and shine pads for cutting and polishing - respectively.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast