autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex - first time experience

Quote Originally Posted by mbpress01 View Post
    Dic95. I did the washer mod and it helped slightly. But I really don't believe that you should spend a lot of money to then change the tool to something that the company maintains is not necessary. Sorry but if the company said don't do it you shouldn't.
    I agree.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tenblade2001 View Post
    I just purchased mine (yeah sale)..are y'all using 5 or 6.5 pads?
    I've been using 6.5" hybrids, but I do have the 4" LC plate and 5" hybrids as well. It takes a couple mins to swap out the BP, so I've just made do with the larger pads so far.

Post Thanks / Like

I just purchased mine (yeah sale)..are y'all using 5 or 6.5 pads?
    I have two flexes since I don't want to swap out the backing plates. Saves a decent amount of time. You definitely need both since the 5s are very easy to control on vertical/curvy panels and really great on flat panels. The 6.5s (due to size obviously) will finish a hood, trunk or roof in no time. Also get orange, white and black. I bought too many as I have 20 of each but I usually use at least 13 to do a car (you can never have enough pads). I find I don't use the orange as much as the white since my rides are in good shape. Good luck and please post pictures of the projects you undertake as well as how you like the tool.

Post Thanks / Like

I have two flexes since I don't want to swap out the backing plates. Saves a decent amount of time. You definitely need both since the 5s are very easy to control on vertical/curvy panels and really great on flat panels. The 6.5s (due to size obviously) will finish a hood, trunk or roof in no time. Also get orange, white and black. I bought too many as I have 20 of each but I usually use at least 13 to do a car (you can never have enough pads). I find I don't use the orange as much as the white since my rides are in good shape. Good luck and please post pictures of the projects you undertake as well as how you like the tool.
    I purchased the hydrotech pads based on what I've read (I'm using Menz and WG products) and there isn't a white pad. Am I missing something? I ordered Tangerine, Cyan and Red.

Post Thanks / Like

Not hydrotech but hybrid. See this link. Lake Country Hybrid Power Finish 5 Inch Foam Pads

It is confusing but these are the ones Mike P (in his book) as well as mike aka smack recommends. I try to keep it simple and no need to over complicate. Just buy what the experts recommend.

Post Thanks / Like

I purchased the hydrotech pads based on what I've read (I'm using Menz and WG products) and there isn't a white pad. Am I missing something? I ordered Tangerine, Cyan and Red.
    I think most are using LC Hybrid pads on the 3401. Mbpress is referring to the Hybrid colors. Orange is a cutting pad and white is a polishing pad. The hydrotech pads should be fine as well, but I don't think they hold up as well as the hybrids. I think dlc95 on here uses the hydrotechs on the 3401.

Edit: mbpress types faster than I do.

Post Thanks / Like

Regarding counter rotating, another non-issue from people that probably haven't used it. Counter rotation was nothing and didn't make a bit of difference. It took me, say, 3 seconds, to get used to this machine. That is what makes this tool so outstanding. It spins non-stop no matter hard you press or the angle of attack. I tell you I spent hours with the best Rupes tools and man what a difference Flex is. The pleasure of getting polishing work done far outweighs supposed smoothness, its ridiculous. I am starting to think that these non-forced DAs overtime will go the way of the Dinosaur - they don't make a lot of sense to me if you want to keep your car swirl free in a minimal amount of time. I think the general appeal has been there low cost vs the flex but that is not the case anymore. The Rupes, new Boss, etc are all expensive. Better to spend the extra and just go with something that works. I truly am all in on the Flex.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    Mmmm. Not quite.

There is a reason why you jewel paint with a straight drive circular polisher and not a free floating spindle large throw DA.
    This has been my question. Does the large throw machine finish better that a Flex. I understand there are a lot of variables, but someone very skilled on both machines, will the large throw finish better. I heard that some of the old rotary guys are switching to the long throw machines and getting away from rotaries because the finish between the two are so close. If I can get a better finish with a 21 mm throw machine I want to get one. I don't want to buy one just to have one...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MIsnowman View Post
    I think most are using LC Hybrid pads on the 3401. Mbpress is referring to the Hybrid colors. Orange is a cutting pad and white is a polishing pad. The hydrotech pads should be fine as well, but I don't think they hold up as well as the hybrids. I think dlc95 on here uses the hydrotechs on the 3401.

Edit: mbpress types faster than I do.
    I've used the h20 on the 3401, but prefer them on the PC.

I use hex logics on the 3401 right now (green and blue foam).

Post Thanks / Like

Not hydrotech but hybrid. See this link. Lake Country Hybrid Power Finish 5 Inch Foam Pads

It is confusing but these are the ones Mike P (in his book) as well as mike aka smack recommends. I try to keep it simple and no need to over complicate. Just buy what the experts recommend.
    thanks....That clears a lot up. Thank god I didn't complete my purchase last night (had about $300 in hydrotech pads... for the flex).

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456