autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question More forced-rotation DA options...

In a previous post, I was choosing what polisher to move up to from a PC and landed on the 3401 for several reasons you can read in the original post.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...le-7424xp.html

That got me thinking and asking the question: Why aren't there more options out there for forced-rotation DAs? If you want one, really, the only game in town is Flex. Newer solutions have come out from Rupes, Meguiar's, and Torq, but they're all free-rotation. Seems like there's a viable hole in these manufacturer's product line. No? Wouldn't we be interested in forced-rotation DAs from other companies? It just seems strange that there aren't already.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: More forced-rotation DA options...

I thought about that before.

I'm surprised Rupes or PC don't make one..
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rose
    I am cursed for life because I can never look at beautiful paint without seeing the defects

Post Thanks / Like

with the larger throw DA coming out years ago (Rupes), i had wondered why Flex wouldn't come out with one and a forced rotation at that. they may have tooled around with the thought, but maybe it wasn't necessary in their findings because the 3401 is a beast in it's own right...
    i am the jump starter.

Post Thanks / Like

I asked a store rep at Griots Garage in Tacoma a few weeks ago about a new forced DA from Griots. The answer he gave me was very, well.........let's say open to the possibility. There is a special event at Griot's in a few days for a big new product announcement. Maybe a new FR DA polisher??

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

I own the Makita BO4060, which gives you the option of switching between forced rotation and normal mode. I purchased over the FLEX a long time ago because it had the ability to be switched to normal mode. Very powerful machine in either mode. The price has sky rocketed in last few years.

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing that needs to happen is for FLEX to make a mini version of the 3401 and its finished!

HUMP
    Carolina Auto Image
    Upstate South Carolina - Premium Exclusive Automotive Reconditioning
    info@carolinaautoimage.com

Mike Phillips

I witnessed first hand the extra steps Flex takes to build a super high quality tool.

I also documented it with pictures. (Did this for Rupes too when I toured their facility last year).

Knowing the kind of punishment the Flex 3401 has to endure, anyone coming out with a copy of the Flex 3401 will have to build in the same type of quality in order to compete.

Germany Flex Plant Tour Pictures

Here's my write-up for the Rupes tour... I believe at that time I was the only person they've ever let take pictures of their manufacturing process.

Top Secret Pictures – How Rupes Bigfoot Polishers are made!

Rupes built a gear-driven dual action polisher at one time, I took a picture of it and even held it in my hand.

Rupes Bigfoot Orbital Polishers Virtual Museum Tour - Milan, Italy

In the above write-up I showed a picture and asked....

Would anyone like to guess what type of tool this is?

No one ever took a shot at guessing.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember Todd @ Rupes said during class that the forced rotation DA model was their original design but they moved on to the large throw DA.

Also, there is only so much space in the market to manufacture and sell well built, expensive, purpose built car buffers. Car detailing is a very small piece of the overall tool industry. Rupes and FLEX have cornered the market. The other buffers are Chinese made tools that lets face it... are not built like Rupes or FLEX.
    Autogeek OG. Attended detail fest I/II. Still detailing!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Rupes built a gear-driven dual action polisher at one time, I took a picture of it and even held it in my hand.

Rupes Bigfoot Orbital Polishers Virtual Museum Tour - Milan, Italy

In the above write-up I showed a picture and asked....

Would anyone like to guess what type of tool this is?

No one ever took a shot at guessing.
    I guess you slipped that one past us, Mike! Was that just a prototype or was it actually produced? Did they give you any insight as to why they didn't continue with it?

Quote Originally Posted by ryandamartini View Post
    I remember Todd @ Rupes said during class that the forced rotation DA model was their original design but they moved on to the large throw DA.

Also, there is only so much space in the market to manufacture and sell well built, expensive, purpose built car buffers. Car detailing is a very small piece of the overall tool industry. Rupes and FLEX have cornered the market. The other buffers are Chinese made tools that lets face it... are not built like Rupes or FLEX.
    I guess that's the answer, they either felt their (long throw) approach was better, or wanted to differentiate themselves from the forced rotation approach, or both.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    I witnessed first hand the extra steps Flex takes to build a super high quality tool.

Knowing the kind of punishment the Flex 3401 has to endure, anyone coming out with a copy of the Flex 3401 will have to build in the same type of quality in order to compete.
    So it sounds like it's just a level of complexity and quality that no one, including Rupes, wants to step up to yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast