autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex backing plate question

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Great question Tony.

Before I answer... do you have the adapter kit? Or a copy of my book?

I think I can better answer your question with this information.

I do not have the book.

But.... thanks to my talk with Nick... Er.... Santa I do have the Flex, the LC backing plate kit, the deluxe bag, and a variety of 5" LC hybrid pads.

FWIW I already had a TON of 6.5" pads as well as a few 6" hyrbids.

(If only I can get this pinched nerve in my low back to calm down so I can stand, or bend, or use both legs again... I might be able to actually use to cotton picking thing.)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by cardaddy View Post

I do not have the book.
    Just to note the book has 24 high resolution pictures on pages 6 to 10 plus exact step-by-step directions for attaching either the 4" or the 6" backing plate.

It also includes the exact part numbers for the bolts both factory and Lake Country in case you ever lose or misplace them.

The pictures also show using simple everyday items, in this example a DIME and a QUARTER to show the relative size of the washers that come in the kit plus the pertinent information about not using the wrong washer or space in the wrong place.

I tried to share as much detailed information with pictures in the book to remove any and all confusion. For what it's worth, because we do a lot of backing plate changes with all the Flex 3401 polishers we use in my detailing boot camp classes and Thursday projects, I have a dedicated container in the studio for LC washers, spacers and bolts and one for Flex washers and bolts.

Now on to your other questions/concerns...

The washer from Lake Country is the size of a dime. The washer from Flex is the size of a quarter. You can't fit the stock washer into either of the LC backing plates.

You can fit the LC washer into the Flex backing plate but it's undersized and my guess is if you do use the undersized washer from LC with the Flex backing plate you will put excess stress where it tightens and this could potentially cause a problem.

And I do include a warning that states NOT to use the Lake Country bolt, washer or spacers to attach the Flex backing plates.

Hope that helps and I'd recommend anyone new to the Flex 3401 at the time of purchase also get a copy of my how-to book for this tool. I worked very hard on it and it's full of information, tips, techniques and of course, high resolution pictures of which I took myself.

Click the picture of it in my signature line for more info...

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike P gives great instructions on the LC Backing Plate System....

LC gives none at all with the kit

Are you guys in cahoots to sell more books?

Mike, you should allow LC to include the relevant pages from your book as instructions in their kit. Would probably lead to increased book sales

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a digital book for the flex? I have the iPad book for overall detailing but I just bought a flex

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daviddear30 View Post
    Is there a digital book for the flex? I have the iPad book for overall detailing but I just bought a flex
    This is covered by at least 3-4 posts in this thread. NO there is no digital version of the Flex book yet. There are plans for that to happen, Mike has posted that information several posts above this one.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

1. Just to note the book has 24 high resolution pictures on pages 6 to 10 plus exact step-by-step directions for attaching either the 4" or the 6" backing plate.

It also includes the exact part numbers for the bolts both factory and Lake Country in case you ever lose or misplace them.

The pictures also show using simple everyday items, in this example a DIME and a QUARTER to show the relative size of the washers that come in the kit plus the pertinent information about not using the wrong washer or space in the wrong place.

I tried to share as much detailed information with pictures in the book to remove any and all confusion. For what it's worth, because we do a lot of backing plate changes with all the Flex 3401 polishers we use in my detailing boot camp classes and Thursday projects, I have a dedicated container in the studio for LC washers, spacers and bolts and one for Flex washers and bolts.

Now on to your other questions/concerns...
    2. The washer from Lake Country is the size of a dime. The washer from Flex is the size of a quarter. You can't fit the stock washer into either of the LC backing plates.

You can fit the LC washer into the Flex backing plate but it's undersized and my guess is if you do use the undersized washer from LC with the Flex backing plate you will put excess stress where it tightens and this could potentially cause a problem.

And I do include a warning that states NOT to use the Lake Country bolt, washer or spacers to attach the Flex backing plates.
    3. Hope that helps and I'd recommend anyone new to the Flex 3401 at the time of purchase also get a copy of my how-to book for this tool. I worked very hard on it and it's full of information, tips, techniques and of course, high resolution pictures of which I took myself.
    4. Click the picture of it in my signature line for more info...

1: I'm sure there ARE 24 high resolution photos in the book. But that doesn't answer the question.

2: Yes, it's clear that the LC bolt/washer are made for each other, and that the OEM bolt/washer doesn't fit inside the whole LC 'system'. That part is clear. Lake Country should also include an allen wrench to fit their bolt. You'd think for $50 it wouldn't be a stretch.

3: Actually it doesn't help at all. It's clear with the LC system what bolts and washers go where. But WHAT IS NOT CLEAR is, how many of the shims should be used, and whether they should be used when using only the 4" plate, only the 6" plate, or both.

By and large Lake Country has provided excellent products through the years. Plus they've even stayed ahead of the curve (so to speak) when adapting their products to various manufacturers needs/applications.

The Flex backing plate system is yet another item to show that they've kept up. Yet it puzzles the mind that they've gone as far as to devise that it (the system) needed "shims" but they've NEVER included instructions on using those shims. If there ever was an instance of buyer beware that might be it. (Not to mention something as critical a torque specifications might actually be useful to those that wouldn't mind knowing. You can bet that Flex torques the bolt at the factory to a preset specification!)

4: Yeah... and that'd be a link to buy the book.
    What Auto geek SHOULD have been doing, especially when someone purchases a Flex 3401 & Lake Country Backing Plate System (not to mention a Deluxe Flex Bag and various Lake Country Pads) is instead of throwing in a "free gift" to include the DVD "How to Properly Use Flex Polishers" as well as the book "The Complete Guide to A Show Car Shine" that the NECESSARY book should have been "How to use the Flex XC3401 VRG Dual Action Orbital Polisher". Sure makes sense from where I'm sitting!
    (I'd gladly return the Show Car Shine book in lieu of it.)
    Or..... I'd just be happy to open an e-mail with said photos attached.
    Or maybe the instructions that Lake Country keeps forgetting to include.
    OTOH... It's easy enough to figure out where the bolt/washer goes. (Not like it'll fit elsewhere.) And as for the shims, being as there are 2, it's a good bet that you should use them both. (But if not.........)
    It was actually addressed, WITH PHOTOS in a thread here back in January.
    LC Flex 3401 Interchangable Backing Plate Assembly Instructions
    Too bad that one didn't come from Autogeek or Lake Country.
    Still pulling for the Flex book to actually come with a Flex package order.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Daviddear30 View Post

Not yet but I'm sure it's on a to-do list.

Post Thanks / Like

Why do I even have to use a bunch of shims or adapters to use a 4" backing plate? (instead of the 4 3/8" plate). Can't they make one that attaches in the same fashion as the OEM plate?? Or a pad that fits the 4 3/8" OEM plate?

Neither of the plates that came with my Flex 3401 are any good for most of the pads I use (the 5" and the 5.5"). The small backing plate is TOO big for the 5" hybrid pads, yet too small for the 5.5 pads. And the bigger plate is also too big for the 5.5 pads. Frustrating.

I don't want to goof around with a bunch of adapters that make the plate stick out from the machine. As it is now, I hate the Flex for this reason.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123