autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Flex 3401 with MF pads?

Dear folks, anyone of you using the Flex 3401 with MF pads?
    I have few Meguairs MF pads which I used to pair with 110V2 and I thought I can use it on 3401 to achieve something more.

However I had tried few times and I think 3401 don't really like MF pads! With MF pads, the 3401 is simply too hard to control as it will just run away if you are not flat enough! I also cannot finish out nicely with the MF pads a it always leave me some hologram. LC CC pads that comes with my package is much easier to use.

My own conclusion is, 3401 is so powerful that when used with THINNER pad like MF pads, the CUSHION of the pad is simply not enough to absorb the extra power from the 3401 and make it hard to control, just like controlling a mad cow! It might be good for spot correction though since MF pad is more aggressive than foam pad.

Hope you guys can share your experience! Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex 3401 with MF pads?

Thin MF pads don't work well with the Flex from my experience. Some would argue that MF pads in general don't work well with the Flex.

I find the thicker varieties (ie Optimum or B&S) works better in the sense that they make the Flex easier to control.

Working with MF pads on the Flex actually made my general polishing technique better. It forced me to learn how to keep the pad flat to the surface.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by titanlok View Post
    Dear folks, anyone of you using the Flex 3401 with MF pads?
    I have few Meguairs MF pads which I used to pair with 110V2 and I thought I can use it on 3401 to achieve something more.
    I have used them in the past and I do not like using them on the 3401. Thick or thin, does not matter.

The thin mf pads are better suited on the G110v2. Thicker mf pads play better with the forced rotation of the Flex.

However I had tried few times and I think 3401 don't really like MF pads! With MF pads, the 3401 is simply too hard to control as it will just run away if you are not flat enough! I also cannot finish out nicely with the MF pads a it always leave me some hologram. LC CC pads that comes with my package is much easier to use.
    As mentioned above, I simply do not like mf pads on the 3401. If you need a bit more cut than what a foam pad can provide, pick up some of the Lake Country Hybrid wool pads. The 3401 has the power to effectively use wool.

My own conclusion is, 3401 is so powerful that when used with THINNER pad like MF pads, the CUSHION of the pad is simply not enough to absorb the extra power from the 3401 and make it hard to control, just like controlling a mad cow! It might be good for spot correction though since MF pad is more aggressive than foam pad.

Hope you guys can share your experience! Cheers!
    Agreed. Thin pads do not play well with the 3401.

Quote Originally Posted by psnt1ol View Post
    Some would argue that MF pads in general don't work well with the Flex.
    I am one of those. The Hybrid pads are where its at.

Working with MF pads on the Flex actually made my general polishing technique better. It forced me to learn how to keep the pad flat to the surface.
    Good to hear that this combo improved your technique.

Mike Phillips

This topic was discussed and the different types of pads, (thick and thin), were compared side-by-side in one of our Thursday night projects.

I purposefully set the polishers up with thin and thick pads and had other guys do the buffing so you could get their take on the topic. I had already formed my own opinion.

When the microfiber pad craze hit its peak I had already tested both thick and thin pads and the term grabby was coined to describe the buffing experience when using thin microfiber pads on gear-driven dual action polishers like the Flex 3401 and Makita BO6040.

My findings were thin pads don't work well with gear-driven dual action polishers. Thicker pads do feel better when you buff but you can get everything done with the right LC Hybrid FOAM pads and simply avoid the hassle.

Here's the thread from almost 3 years ago....

2012 Dodge Challenger + Menzerna Color Lock Makeover

From post #2

Test Spot
    Next up we did some testing and I had Robert and Paul compare the Lake Country Ultra Microfiber Pads on identical tools, the Flex 3401.

The difference was that one polisher had the THICK LC Ultra Microfiber Pad and the other polisher had the THIN Ultra Microfiber Pad.

If you want to know which one works best I'll let you post the question and I'll let Robert and Paul tell you their opinioins...

After some testing we buffed out the car using Menzerna SI 1500 with Lake Country Ultra Microfiber Pads on both the Flex 3401 and the Griot's DA Polisher and then followed that using Lake Country 5.5" white foam polishing pads with Menzerna SF 4000 and then sealed the paint using Menzerna Color Lock machine applied using Lake Country 5.5" Blue Finishing Pads on Griot's DA Polishers.

Here's Robert testing out the thick LC Ultra MF Pads and Paul testing out the thin LC Ultra MF Pads

Robert is very good behind any polisher and always focuses on using good technique...

Look at the THICK foam core for this MF Pad...

Below is the thin MF pad as the foam core is much thinner than the thicker version...

NOTE: The linting is normal when breaking in a new LC Ultra Microfiber Pad

Then I had both guys switch keeping all other variables the same except the thickness and thinness of the foam backing of the pads.

Robert with the thin pad...

Paul with the thick pad...

Mike Phillips

Robert and Paul were the two guys doing the comparison testing of thin versus thick microfiber pads, here's their comments quoted from the same thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Impressions View Post

The thicker pad seemed to glide right over the paint and even with the forced rotation of the Flex 3401 it was a pleasure to use!

Thumbs up to LC for coming up with that one

Quote Originally Posted by Sailfish View Post

Thanks Mike, I found that the thick pad from LC was much easier to work with while using the forced rotation of the Flex 3401. T
    he LC pad was not grabby and contoured nicely with the body lines on the hood, front valance, plastic hood nose and wheel area.

Conversely the thin pad though nice was very grabby with any contour change in the body panel.

So if safe is the game I would opt for the thick pads, since I saw no real difference in the thick (LC) pads and the thin pads ability to cut into the clear coat.

There you go... a blast from the past...

If you're going to use microfiber pads on the Flex 3401 or any forced rotation, gear-driven dual action polishers stick with the microfiber pads that have a thick foam backing.

And the car? It came out great....

On Autogeek.net

Menzerna Color Lock Carnauba Wax

Menzerna Compounds & Polishes

Lake Country Thick Core Ultra Microfiber Pads

Lake Country Flat Pads

Flex 3401 Forced Rotation DA Polisher

Griot's Garage DA Polisher

Super Soft Deluxe Green Microfiber Towels with Rolled Edges - 3 Pack

Microfiber Gloves 6 Pairs

Pinnacle Ultra Poly Detailing Clay

Pinnacle Clay Lube

Post Thanks / Like

I have only used the thick BnS pads on the Flex and got great results.

Pre:

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by parttimer View Post

I have only used the thick BnS pads on the Flex and got great results.

The gear-driven tool definitely like the thick foam backing, same goes for rotary buffers too...

Sometime get your hands on some THIN microfiber pads and then add your follow up comments to this thread with your experience.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to use MF pads, your best bet is using them with a random orbital(non-forced rotation polisher).
    '03 Corvette Z06

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Try adding the Meguiar's Foam Interface Pad

Meguiars Unigrit 6 Inch Foam Interface Pad

I have heard this significantly improves the handling characteristics of the DAMF pads on a Flex 3401

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    Try adding the Meguiar's Foam Interface Pad

Meguiars Unigrit 6 Inch Foam Interface Pad

I have heard this significantly improves the handling characteristics of the DAMF pads on a Flex 3401

Very viable option.... the interface pad can also be used with Nanoskin pads for really curvy panels.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast