autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Flex XFE Owners, What's The Verdict?

The updated XFE7-15 has been available for several weeks now and I know from reading the forum that several members have purchased them, however I have not seen many detailed reviews or recent in-depth discussion of the polisher. Some members have hinted at follow ups to their initial use, but they have yet to do so. I have also searched outside of AGO also with limited success.

Are you happy with your purchase? Pros, cons, recommendations?

I realize that those who live in colder climates may not have much time spent using the polisher, but what about the rest of you? I am considering adding the XFE to my collection (3401, PE14, PC).

TIA

Mike Phillips

Re: Flex XFE Owners, What's The Verdict?

Hi Dan,

I know you're looking for others to chime in on this but I do want to add...

We used them on two classic Lamborghinis owned by Adam Corolla last week for our TV show and they did a killer job of removing swirls and scratches.

Wait till I post my pictures and videos.

Until I get to them, Freddie Cruz created this thread with a lot of pictures of these tools in action...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...y-vol-2-a.html

Post Thanks / Like

Subscribe

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike, I had missed that thread. Very cool!

Post Thanks / Like

I bought one of kits on 1/21, but I haven't done much with it yet. I haven't done any real correction, and have only put on a few finishing products just so I could use it. This is my first experience with a long-throw polisher, and also my first real experience with anything other than the PC 7424.

My initial impressions are that it is very smooth, very easy to use, and it feels good in your hand. The tool doesn't fight you at all, so I don't think fatigue will be an issue with this. It is definitely more powerful than what I'm used to. I did notice that it runs pretty warm even in the brief sessions I was using it. I initially tired it with the stock plate and 7in pad that came in the kit, but that felt too big for a lot of the car. I switched to the 5in plate and 5.5in, and that's probably what I'll use 90% of the time.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought one which I've used a couple times. I also got the 5" plate. It is a very smooth running machine. It has the bearing balancing system. Another thing you notice right off is that it's very quiet. The quietest machine I've ever run, well other than my ibird lol. As far as adding it to a 3401 and PE14 I think it would be a great addition. However you do have the long throw stalling thing, personally I don't have any issues, especially with the 5" backing plate. I put it right there with the Rupes Mark II as far as power. The body is an inch or so shorter which does help maneuverability some. I was looking for issues with heat since this was a big problem with the first version. I didn't notice any heat. Ambient temperature was about 60.
    The machine is a winner! If I were going to run the 6" plate I would run a 6.5" pad which I believe is the largest the manufacturer recommends, if my conversions are close. I would also recommend a thin bad if going 6.5" it should help the power.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

i had a chance to use it on the set of Competition Ready on one of those Lamborghinis. I wasn't blown away (only the PE14 has done that, and I own machines from The Big Three (Flex, Griots, Rupes)), but I liked it enough to want to keep playing with it. We used it with thicker pads, and with those it felt a little like the 3401 with thick pads, that is some minor vibrations but nothing that is unpleasant.

As is, I felt it was pretty smooth while doing correction work. It felt light in the hands, and as far as I remember, no "walking" or odd feeling with it.

I really want to try it with some thin pads next.

edit: oh yeah! It IS pretty quiet

Post Thanks / Like

I will wait until the HD model comes out
    2011 Compass Latitude Bright Silver/ 2017 Nissan Rogue SV AWD Premium Glacier White
    REFLECTIVE IMAGE DETAILING

Post Thanks / Like

It seems so quiet from the videos I've seen.

Once I reintroduce the 3401 and PE14 to my arsenal, I will add one of these too.

Post Thanks / Like

As Mike states we were able to use these machines on Adam Carolla's 2 beautiful Lamborghini's. I keep own the FLEX 3401, GG6 and a porter cable. I've been looking for a long throw, did this if the bill??

So first and foremost I've been personally debating between the griots BOSS and the rupes for a long throw, when I found out that I'd be able to use the new flex 15mm long throw I was thrilled.

Size, the unit is not long like the other 2 brands, it has a shorter wheel base and I like that. It felt very balanced and light weight as well.

Power, this had plenty of power as justjesus stated we used thicker pads but with the long throw I was covering a noticable amount of more panel per pass, which throw me off at first since I'm so used to the 8mm throw.

Overall feel, the grip for me was not good, I had to keep resetting my hand which I normally don't have to do on my other Polishers so that was off putting. The vibrations compared to the 3401 were like night and day. The 3401 works you out it's an awesome polisher but it's a work out, the xfe was much smoother and was/would be easy to handle for long hrs and hrs during a job.

So would I get this polisher?? Idk, why? Because I still want to try the griots and rupes before I pull the trigger for sure. The xfe was a great machine and holds up to the FLEX name and quality

Sent from my Pixel using Autogeekonline mobile app

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast