autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Flex 3401 - First use

I received my new Flex 3401 a few weeks ago and have been itching to try it. I know I can't do a full detail until spring, but still I wanted to play with my Christmas present!

The weather last week was the pits and my Nelly was looking sad. I removed the crud and mag chloride and just knew she needed another coat of NXT to last for a while. Yesterday the temp went up to 63F - I decided this was my window of opportunity!

I gave Nelly a good bath (thanks Autogeek members for recommending the grout sponge from Lowe's - great sponge!) and broke out the Flex to apply the NXT with a blue LC pad. This was my baptism with the Flex.

I found the Flex 3401 very easy to use - it only took a couple of minutes to get the feel of it. The balance is very good and after 15 minutes I was able to control the Flex on the roof and trunk using only one hand. I tried different speeds to apply the NXT and felt most comfortable at four to five. Using the Flex significantly reduced the time I spent applying the NXT, as in it cut my time by an hour. I finished under the halogen lights in my garage just as the sun set last evening.

While the blue pad seemed to soak in more NXT than I would have used when applying by hand, the Flex put down a nice thin even coat which buffed off very easily, easier than when applied by hand. However, after using the blue LC pad for this task, I think the red LC pad is what I should have used.

One other big benefit for me - after using the Flex to apply the NXT my arthritic hands didn't bother me anywhere near as much as after doing the job all by hand. That alone is worth the price of admission. Can't wait for spring when I can try out the Menzerna polishes.

The snow is forecast to begin falling again in about six hours...

Regards,
    GEWB
    Linux Reg. User #206357 (Feb. '99)
    "Can't get there from here."

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex 3401 - First use

Glad you're liking the Flex, I sure like mine. You may want to try Megs 21 2.0 next time - and use a red LC pad. To me, it has a bit more staying power than NXT.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your suggestion re: Meg 21.

But first I need to use up 3/4 bottle of NXT 2.0 (which looks great on Nelly's pearl white paint).

Regards,
    GEWB

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you like the flex. It is a very good machine, and I like using the cobra cross grove pads with it too.
    Ed

Moderator/Consultant for Autogeek.net

To achieve excellence, excellence cannot be rushed. Technique is just as important as the product used.
    While my approach takes more time, the results are far superior.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HighEndDetail View Post
    Glad you like the flex. It is a very good machine, and I like using the cobra cross grove pads with it too.
    Hello Ed -

Thanks for your reply. My "starter" pad inventory is (1) LC orange, (2) LC white, (1) LC blue, (1) LC red and (1) Cobra X-cut blue. In the spring I will need to do a job with Menz IP and Final Polish/sealant.

After that my routine will be more in line with sealant every six weeks, maybe a topper wax in between (not sure about that) and a Final Polish/sealant every three months. With that routine what Cobra pads would you recommend?

Regards,
    GEWB

Post Thanks / Like

Nice purchase, im still using pc7424 ...
    This user has been banned for being too awesome.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good. I just got the Flex for Xmas. Can't wait to try it out. I'm waiting now on Menzerna polishes from Autogeek. I've used a Porter Cable with Pinnnacle polishes for 3 years or so.... The PC definaetely made a big difference on my car but hope the Flex makes things even easier/faster.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Sounds good. I just got the Flex for Xmas. Can't wait to try it out. I'm waiting now on Menzerna polishes from Autogeek. I've used a Porter Cable with Pinnnacle polishes for 3 years or so.... The PC definaetely made a big difference on my car but hope the Flex makes things even easier/faster.
    Congrat on getting a Flex. Your work will step up a level from the PC just as I found out. Have fun and enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on to all the new Flex owners .It is an great machine and definitely a big step up from the PC. Enjoy !!!!!!!!
    Ron !!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Junebug View Post
    Glad you're liking the Flex, I sure like mine. You may want to try Megs 21 2.0 next time - and use a red LC pad. To me, it has a bit more staying power than NXT.
    Mike at MOL says NXT 2.0 and M21 are nearly identical. M21 is supposedly more rotary friendly. I wonder why people get different results.

(I assume this is the DA version of the Flex).
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast