autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Metabo or Flex??

To anybody that is worried about using a rotary (hey - I was) all I can tell you is "get one" and keep the speed at 1000 max, as long as you move it, stay off trim, try to keep the pad flat and RELAX!! you will be fine. Your first mistake will occur when you think you've (mastered) it. Never think that, respect the machine and follow the normal good sense rules. After you have a few hours under your belt, you'll learn when to speed up a bit. There are still a lot of variables like polish/pad choices and the degree of correction you're trying to get. Lastly, I have a Makita, I like the side handle over the bail one, I prefer 3M 7.5" pads and Menzerna IP and FFII. But the mac daddy for final polish is 3M UltrafineSE!!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I've come to realize that in my particular situation, the Flex would fit my needs the best
    With the understanding that the rotary is the best tool you can have to tackle anything short of a wet-sanding job, I still think that in reality, I won't be seeking or taking on jobs that would require that kind of paint correction

Currently, I've been using the PC7424 and we all know its limitations Having the Flex to be a step-up from the PC will suffice with the jobs I'll be doing
    I do this as a hobby and to make money on the side. If later on I decide I can expand from a hobby to a part-time business, then I would consider having a rotary
    I actually have access to a Makita Rotary that my friend uses at his shop, and I have learned a trick or two about using it and it's not as bad in terms of being intimidating as most people have been led to believe
    With that said, I do appreciate all the input all of you have contributed with my request and it has helped a lot in making my decision to get the Flex a solid one
    ~Goose
    -Goose
    2007 Avus Silver Audi RS4
    2018 Black Redline Edition Chevy Silverado

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Junebug View Post
    To anybody that is worried about using a rotary ...
    But this was not about "fear of rotary", was it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Junebug View Post
    To anybody that is worried about using a rotary (hey - I was) all I can tell you is "get one" and keep the speed at 1000 max, as long as you move it, stay off trim, try to keep the pad flat and RELAX!! you will be fine. Your first mistake will occur when you think you've (mastered) it. Never think that, respect the machine and follow the normal good sense rules. After you have a few hours under your belt, you'll learn when to speed up a bit. There are still a lot of variables like polish/pad choices and the degree of correction you're trying to get. Lastly, I have a Makita, I like the side handle over the bail one, I prefer 3M 7.5" pads and Menzerna IP and FFII. But the mac daddy for final polish is 3M UltrafineSE!!
    Have you been able to get Ultrafina SE (along with the pad) locally in NC?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123