autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Rotary buffer experience...

I'm sorry no pics on this one

This is more about my first full detail experience ever with a Makita 9227 Rotary

I was called in from a local shop to detail a Dodge pick up truck that was painted over a month ago. This truck had numerous wool pad swirls my PC 7424 with Menzerna and a Meguiars Cutting pad wouldn't touch!

I went over another shop where I borrow my friens Makita 9227 and a 3M foam black pad. I bought some 3M 6064 Swirl Remover and a Bottle of 3M Ultrafina and its blue pad
    Being a little nervous I decided to give it a go. I did real well considering my new experience and judging by the results I've obtained.
    The swirls were gone, and the very fine swirls that left (very fine!) were taking care of with the 3m Ultrafina

I did this truck in a two-day span, I started late Friday, and was only able to finish the 3M 6064 step only. Next day (today) I went to the owners house (the shop was going to be closed today, so he took it home) and he had the truck parked on the driveway. Though I was using a Sears Halogen 500watts light tripod while at the shop, I was still worried I'll be seeing holograms under natural sunlight. To my surprise, there was only a little bit on the upper side of the bedliner. I didn't want to get the pad too close to the line-x seam. I proceeded with the Ultrafina, and came out ~95% free of swilrs. I figure with more practice, I can do better. The remaining 5% swirls were only visible at certain angle, and difficult to see unless you know how to look for them
    It was a Dodge 2500 dual cab (4-door) big sucker!

I'm very encouraged by this experience
    On my first ever limited try with a rotary, I had few holograms. I believe I was using a wool pad at that time, but with the foam black pads, it was night and day, not to mention I finished in less time

The Makita was a little bit hard to manage at first, but I did notice it became more manageable using the Ultrafina and the blue pad. I got used to the weight of the machine, but wouldn't mind trying a lighter one

I've been planning on getting the Flex DA but now I don't know if the Flex DA would take defects as fast, as a rotary and still be able to use the 3M 6064 and the 3M Ultrafina. Menzerna is what I use with my PC, but haven't tried that with a rotary...

So flex, or rotary is now the question?
    I'd like a machine that I can use 6.5" pads, and 3.5" BP for 4" spot pads with

I appreciate all the input, as I want to make a sound decision as to what way I should go

Cheers!
    Last edited by Z06-Goose; 05-25-2008 at 12:27 AM.
    -Goose
    2007 Avus Silver Audi RS4
    2018 Black Redline Edition Chevy Silverado

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rotary buffer experience...

I think the Flex is a logical upgrade to PC/UDM users prior to moving to rotary. I think once youve mastered the rotary or are in a professional setting, likely the rotary is your choice for speed.

I do however admit I like my Flex more than my rotary, but using on well kept cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    I think the Flex is a logical upgrade to PC/UDM users prior to moving to rotary. I think once youve mastered the rotary or are in a professional setting, likely the rotary is your choice for speed.

I do however admit I like my Flex more than my rotary, but using on well kept cars.
    Thanks Scott. For what I've been reading, the adapter for the Flex is already in the works. I'm still weighing my options
    I'll have the Makita for the weekend, so I'll give it a try on my vette today
    -Goose

Post Thanks / Like

the Flex/Edge adapter is available directly from Edge already. Because they machine it into the backing plate, the cost is high and wont likely see at AG soon.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to detail professionally and always used a rotary so I don’t know what kind of results u can get with a PC. But a rotary is, I think, the way to go because you need to generate some heat for some products to work.

Post Thanks / Like

Rotary for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

The rotary is the way to go. For proper paint correction you need a rotary.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I agree. I've done some pretty nice work with my PC, but the rotary is way faster
    I've tried it again today on my vette. The learning curve has had its up and downs. I was able to stick with the speed set at 1800rpm and that worked good for me. I plan on gradually increasing the speed a little as I get more comfortable with it
    -Goose

Post Thanks / Like

Why do you have the buffer at such a high rpm, there really is no need for that. You only need to go that high on a really difficult area, I have rarely gone that high in over 20 years of doing this.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I'm not a professional (nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express), but he are my 2 cents. If you are going to be doing extensive corrective work on a regular basis, then I would go with a rotary. However, if the majority of your work will be minor to medium, I would highly recommend the Flex. I picked up a Flex (and other than the sticker shock) have been completely happy with my decision.

Now, the Flex more than meets my needs, but it wouldn't be my first weapon of choice if I consistently needed to tackle rough/tough jobs. Considering that you already have a PC, if I were you, I'd probably go with a rotary.
    2011 Tahoe

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast