autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Question My 1st RV Detail is next week...

1997 holiday rambler vacationer. 32 ft

Painted aluminum with clear coat.

It's in ok shape. The customer is going to be the guy I'll rent space from so I'll put some solid time into it.

Biggest thing is what appears to be built up dirt stains coming off the roof. Really, he just wants the white paint to look clean.

While he isn't too demanding, I want this to be a showcase for potential RV owners. There are no time restrains and the vehicle is parked indoors at the shop all the time.

He bought it used just last year and it's clear it's been out in the elements a good bit...if not most of it's life.

Being painted aluminum, (this is what guys on an RV forum told me) with what should be (?) standard auto paint and clear paint I'd think I can use my auto supplies without issue.

Is the above accurate or should I get some RV specific stuff anyway?

My plan was to one step it and seal it with WGDGPS.

Still using a porter cable so it will be sow going, but no rush...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My 1st RV Detail is next week...

Quote Originally Posted by DeansDetailing View Post
    1997 holiday rambler vacationer. 32 ft

Painted aluminum with clear coat.

It's in ok shape. The customer is going to be the guy I'll rent space from so I'll put some solid time into it.

Biggest thing is what appears to be built up dirt stains coming off the roof. Really, he just wants the white paint to look clean.

While he isn't too demanding, I want this to be a showcase for potential RV owners. There are no time restrains and the vehicle is parked indoors at the shop all the time.

He bought it used just last year and it's clear it's been out in the elements a good bit...if not most of it's life.

Being painted aluminum, (this is what guys on an RV forum told me) with what should be (?) standard auto paint and clear paint I'd think I can use my auto supplies without issue.

Is the above accurate or should I get some RV specific stuff anyway?

My plan was to one step it and seal it with WGDGPS.

Still using a porter cable so it will be sow going, but no rush...
    Kind of confused here ,you say it's clearcoated aluminum is it white gelcoat or white fiberglass.

Post Thanks / Like

I would try a paint cleaner wax...ime that got those nasty streaks off from the roof dripping. Bet you won't need more than that.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

Seems they sell a product marketed specifically for the "black streaks"

McKees RV Black Streak Remover

GSKR: I think it really is just painted aluminum. Felt like aluminum siding that's on houses. However, a clear coat of paint was added to it, according to the new owner. Here were the replies I got from an RV Forum when I inquired about the material on this RV:

"A lot of Holiday Ramblers have an aluminum skin. Not saying they all do but the ones I've seen do."

And...

"My 1997 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 34 foot had painted aluminum, no clear coat, fiberglass caps were gel coat not painted, decals were decals, not painted on. I believe that is how all Vacationers of that era were done."

Regardless, I'll start with the basics and do a test spot and see what's what next week. I have HD CUT, HD ADAPT, HD POLISH, Wolfgang UBER, XMT 360, Wolfgang Finishing Glaze, and a few I'm forgetting.

Between that and LC White, Orange pads and Meguiars MF Cutting Disc and Xtra Cut MF Discs, I should be able to handle it. If not, I'll get what I need.

My instinct is that the added clear coat is VERY thin. My plan is to wash it as I would a very dirty vehicle with quality auto shampoo and paint safe APC in the foam canon. Finally getting a pressure washer. :-) Will test one section with my entire method first.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

When doing an aluminum RV becareful to NOT scrub hard on black marks or around trim as you can leave a scratch/indention in the soft aluminum. I had an employee once use a nailbrush around the trim leaving indentions all the way around each trim.
    As mentioned above there are several products that remove black streaks.
    Through years of experience I have found three products that work well on aluminum.
    (If you are going to wax after) use Barkeeper's Friend it is an extremely fine abrasive and is cheap.
    Second any good compound will remove it.
    Third if really bad, I will use a sulphoric acid based cleaner diluted in a bucket of water (but have a waterhose nearby to rinse immediately). Boat bright, the Worx (most toilet bowl cleaners), or just buy a bottle of acid at hardware store.
    Ad for the white roof....I use dawn with bleach then laundry soap with a piece of floor buffer scrubber to get under a/c and hard to get areas. Becareful that mixture becomes slippery. Do not use any oil based products on a rubber roof it eats them.
    Good luck on your first RV I prefer to do them and do as many as 15 a week. It's extremely lucrative.
    M O O S E