autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gel-coat quality

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    Last post is not totally accurate

If a boat is gel coat, it will not have a clear coat

My Baja had white, blue, yellow and red gel coat. When wet sanded the color comes off white, blue, yellow and red.

Many newer boats, particularly ski/wakeboard boats are white gel coat with stickers for the graphics.
    Excuse me, but it is your post that is not accurate. Certain manufacters do put clear coat over gel coat in order to delay the fading effect of gelcoat. This is typically done on higher end boats such as Outerlimits, Nortech, MTI, Skaters, etc.. For lower end boats such as checkmate, baja, sea ray, Monterey, and such are normally gel. Again, this if from my experience. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

working on a 2007 24 ft pathfinder red and white and its clear coated.pain in the but you can sand it but its thin as is the paint. ps hard real hard paint.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Looked it up...Mastercraft is right; some do have a clearcoat over the gelcoat.

From what I could gather it is a $5,000-$10,000 option.

My boat was only $48k, so needless to say it didn't have clear over gelcoat

Post Thanks / Like
    Washed a Searay sundancer today. Has a black hull. When I was drying the hull I noticed a bunch dirt/dust nibs

Post Thanks / Like
    Whoops darn iphone!! Washed a Searay sundancer today with a black hull. When I was drying the hull I noticed a bunch of dirt/dust nibs and very tiny white specs in places, also what looks like dieback in in areas. Over all the hull looks awesome and has not discolored for the 2 years I've seen the boat there, unlike some black hulls I've seen. The boats about 5years old. I've never buffed it out so I wouldn't know about color transfer or ect..Does this sound like paint or GC. Another observation on a 5-7yo Tiara was, where the non-skid met with the smooth, right at the line it's imperfect and very slightly over laps on the nonskid. The smooth and non skid where slightly diff shades of white, unlike most boats I've where the transition is flawless and maintains the same color. It also polished out extremely easy, seemed like paint to me but sure exactly. Any tips or info would be great

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Theraven View Post
    Whoops darn iphone!! Washed a Searay sundancer today with a black hull. When I was drying the hull I noticed a bunch of dirt/dust nibs and very tiny white specs in places, also what looks like dieback in in areas. Over all the hull looks awesome and has not discolored for the 2 years I've seen the boat there, unlike some black hulls I've seen. The boats about 5years old. I've never buffed it out so I wouldn't know about color transfer or ect..Does this sound like paint or GC. Another observation on a 5-7yo Tiara was, where the non-skid met with the smooth, right at the line it's imperfect and very slightly over laps on the nonskid. The smooth and non skid where slightly diff shades of white, unlike most boats I've where the transition is flawless and maintains the same color. It also polished out extremely easy, seemed like paint to me but sure exactly. Any tips or info would be great

I know some of the newer searays have dark colored hulls so it's quite possible that it is gc. If it was an older searay i would say that it had been painted. The white specs are dried up salt, if the salt is not rinsed off properly (after the boat is used) the sun will actually cause that spotting.

The tiara definitely sounds like it was painted, what you are describing sounds like a tape line.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by master detailer View Post
    working on a 2007 24 ft pathfinder red and white and its clear coated.pain in the but you can sand it but its thin as is the paint. ps hard real hard paint.
    Hi Master Detailer - just wondering what technique you used on the pathfinder project? What pads and product did you use?

Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12