autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Detailing the Gelcoat on an RV – What about the decals/graphics?

So I’m about to go to work with my PC 7424xp on my RV to remove some light oxidation. Having never detailed an RV before I’ve done a few test spots (by hand) with great results. I used this product (given to me, I know nothing about it), and finished it with Marine 31 Gel Coat Carnauba Wax + Sealant and was amazed with the results.

I then tried (by hand) Pinnacle XMT 360 and then finished it with Marine 31 Gel Coat Carnauba Wax + Sealant. Again, I was amazed with the results. Then I got to thinking…what about the decals that are all over this thing?? It would be hard to machine polish around them…..so if I didn’t get carried away, would I harm or burn through them? It sure seems like it would? Again, a test spot by hand showed that while a little color was on the towel, decal was deep, glossy, and looked much better.

I did a few searches, but didn’t come up with much, but it sure seems like this would have come up before…? Can someone point me in the right direction? If I screw this up the wife is going to kill me and then I won’t get the cars done…

Thanks! Below is the project...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing the Gelcoat on an RV – What about the decals/graphics?

You asked the question I had pondered as I polished my RV last weekend. The RV is my first detailing attempt, beyond the uninformed washes and waxes I had done through the years.

I researched for a couple months before I embarked on the journey. I chose a Flex 3401, Pinnacle XMT 360 and LC green pads. After much research, and thorough inspection of my RV's surface, which I concluded was mild oxidation, I felt confident enough to begin. The decals did pose the one last unknown though. I plan on doing my best at hand washing them, but they seem too delicate at the edges to attempt anything more aggressive. Informed opinions would be welcomed by me too.

Here are a couple shots. I worked in sections. I finished about 1/5th of the unit last weekend. I'll probably finish the remainder this weekend. I taped as I went. It seems like a lot of work, but it is called detailing, so it's all part of the game.

The Flex / XMT / Green pad combo worked great. The wife and I admired the glossy side for a while. The information I learned on AG was priceless. I began by working low, in order to learn the tool and the product. Once I had a feel for the Flex, I moved higher. I had fun and the end result - so far - looks great!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Looks great!

Post Thanks / Like

Some decals hate to be touched!

I know that is of no help, but some manufactures say, NO product. Whereas others say no problem.

Is there anything that came with your RV that advises one way or the other? Maybe give a dealer (one that has your brand) a call and see what they say.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Do a test spot on them. The biggest issue I heard of is having the decal edges start to peel and the wax/sealant gets under the edges. Last summer I did wax my RV, Decals and all with my PC and didn't have any issues waxing anyway.