autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Boat Trailer Detailing w/Marine 31 Waxes, Cleaners & Polishes

"I can't have a glossy boat ride atop a dirty, grungy trailer can I?" was Max's reply after I gave him a perplexed look when he asked me to detail the double-axle trailer to his Albury Brothers boat. I've never been asked to detail a boat trailer and I've certainly never seen a how-to guide on boat trailer detailing so I enthusiastically said "sure!"

Before I knew it Saturday had arrived and I was giving Max's boat trailer some much-needed TLC. The wheels were dirty, the tires dull, and the diamond plate fenders had lost their luster (more on that in a future article). I had a full arsenal of Marine 31 boat care products at my disposal so I didn't waste any time getting Max's boat trailer back in tip-top shape.

This is what I was working with:

I'm an advocate of the saying "it could be worse" - Saturday morning was no exception. As mentioned earlier, I had the complete line of Marine 31 boat care products at my disposal so I approached this job with complete and utter confidence.

Step 1: Cleaning

The first step was to clean the wheels, tires and diamond plate fenders. The obvious choice for this task was Marine 31 Port to Starboard All Purpose Cleaner.

Marine 31 Port to Starboard All Purpose Cleaner is a biodegradable marine cleaner that encapsulates dirt and grime, leaving marine surfaces clean and fresh. Safe for virtually any surface, Marine 31 Port to Starboard All Purpose Cleaner can be used to remove black streaks, mildew, and other common stains that are found in the marine environment. Concentrated formula dilutes according to specific jobs – vinyl, carpet, upholstery, and more!

I started off by thoroughly rinsing the surfaces to be cleaned. For this I relied on my trusty Industrial High Flow Fireman's Nozzle. We've been using the same nozzle since this item was introduced and to say that it has been used and abused would be an understatement. The build quality of the nozzle speaks for itself.

After rinsing the wheels and tires I sprayed them down with Marine 31 Port to Starboard All Purpose Cleaner. As noted earlier, this APC can be used to clean virtually anything - vinyl, carpet, upholstery, wheels, tires, fiberglass, etc.

After letting the cleaner dwell on the wheels for a couple minutes, I used the Daytona Speed Master Jr. Wheel Brush to clean behind the spokes and in the wheel barrel. If this is the first time you've seen this brush in action, stop what you're doing and click the link to go to the website - this brush is a must have.

The face of the wheels were cleaned with the Mothers Wheel Brush while the tires were cleaned with the Tuf Shine Tire Brush. The Mothers Wheel Brush features soft, flexible nylon bristles that safely remove brake dust, dirt and grime without scratching delicate clear coated wheels.

The lug nuts, nooks and crannies of the wheel were cleaned with the Wheel Woolies Boar's Hair Detail Brush. This brush is constructed of an ultra-rugged polypropylene handle that features a non-slip textured surface for superior grip. The feathered boar’s hair bristles are resistant to most cleaners and provide safe, gentle agitation for virtually any surface. Since the brush lacks any metal in its construction, you don’t have to worry about accidentally scratching the surface being cleaned.

The diamond plate fenders were cleaned with the Mothers Fender Well Brush. Like the Mothers Wheel Brush, this brush provides safe, effective agitation for virtually any surface. The long handle makes it the ideal choice for cleaning fenders.

As soon as the wheels, tires and fenders were squeaky clean (literally) I thoroughly rinsed them off.

To avoid any water spots from occurring, I quickly dried the wheels with the Microfiber All Purpose & Wheel Detailing Towel. This towel is soft enough for delicate clear coat finishes and thanks to its black color, a little dirt here and there won't stick out like a sore thumb, causing you to cringe every time you look at the towel.

Step 2: Protecting

After drying off the wheels and the diamond plate fenders (I polished them - stay tuned for future article) I applied a coat of Marine 31 Gel Coat Carnauba Wax + Sealant.

Marine 31 Gel Coat Carnauba Wax + Sealant is designed to provide the utmost in surface protection for gel coat – standard and painted. Real carnauba wax fortified with advanced crystalline polymers locks out UV rays and prevents salt from degrading the underlying finish. Exceptionally easy to apply and remove, Marine 31 Gel Coat Carnauba Wax + Sealant creates a mirror-like finish that lasts.

Marine 31 Gel Coat Carnauba Wax + Sealant makes for an exceptional metal sealant as well, making it the obvious choice for protecting the wheels and diamond plate fenders.

I applied it by hand using a Gold Wax Finger Pocket. These are great because they're super soft and they keep your fingers protected from any sharp edges.

Once it dried to a haze I buffed it off using a Microfiber All Purpose & Wheel Detailing Towel.

Step 3: Finishing Touch

To make the tires on Max's freshly-cleaned boat trailer look as good as the rest of it, I applied a quick coat of Detailer's Gloss Tire Gel. Here's a tip: have someone else take the photo so you avoid making a mess.

Detailer's Gloss Tire Gel provides a rich, dark finish that dries to the touch in seconds. You can apply multiple coats if you desire a higher gloss. I use this tire gel often because its water-based, dries to the touch and will not sling off.

Step 4: Stand Back and Enjoy!

That's how the wheels and tires on Max's boat trailer should look.

Whether you want to remove oxidation on your boat, clean and condition its vinyl surfaces or detail the trailer, Marine 31 has a product that will make the job nearly effortless.

Marine 31 - Waxes, Cleaners & Polishes

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Boat Trailer Detailing w/Marine 31 Waxes, Cleaners & Polishes

This looks nice!

Post Thanks / Like

It's not uncommon for me to receive a PM after I write an article asking what I use to transport all my detailing supplies to and from the Show Car Garage.

Here it is: The Meguiar's Detailing Cart.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking good Nick. My boat trailer will be in need of some TLC for sure when I pull it out of storage. Can't wait to put some Marine 31 to the test !!!
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx View Post
    Looking good Nick. My boat trailer will be in need of some TLC for sure when I pull it out of storage. Can't wait to put some Marine 31 to the test !!!
    Be sure to post pictures!

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a couple more pictures of the Daytona Speed Master Jr. Wheel Brush in action.

13 inch length enables the brush to clean the wheel barrels.

Knuckle guard keeps your hands safe from sharp edges.

Flexible stem enables you to clean the lip on the other side of the rim.

Flexible bristles clean every nook and cranny, including areas on and around the brake caliper.

Daytona Speed Master Jr. Wheel Brush

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that trailer looks fantastic! I am in the process of testing out some new Marine 31 products myself and can't wait to write some reviews!
    Brandon Gardner
    President
    Superior Auto Detailing, LLC.