autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Boat was / sealant

Ive cleaned my gelcoat with duragloss 561,is finishing with 501 enough to protect ? Should I use a sealant or perhaps colonize ALSO on top of the 561 ? 561 then- 501 then ???

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Boat was / sealant

Also what's better collonite insulator or their boat wax for gelcoat ?

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AutoGeek Online!

You could stop here if you like as 501 has sealant qualities with fabulous durability, or go further...

...and wax with Collinite 845, or 476. Since it's a boat why no go with Collinite 885 Fleetwax? Collinite 885 is the longest lasting according to the Collinite website and it's marketed as their top product for boats.

I honestly wouldn't be afraid to use any of the Collinite waxes on cars or boats. All do a superb job at protecting. Couple with the sealant qualities of Duragloss underneath you have the makin's of a killer combo, for sure.
    Bill

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post
    Welcome to AutoGeek Online!

You could stop here if you like as 501 has sealant qualities with fabulous durability, or go further...

...and wax with Collinite 845, or 476. Since it's a boat why no go with Collinite 885 Fleetwax? Collinite 885 is the longest lasting according to the Collinite website and it's marketed as their top product for boats.

I honestly wouldn't be afraid to use any of the Collinite waxes on cars or boats. All do a superb job at protecting. Couple with the sealant qualities of Duragloss underneath you have the makin's of a killer combo, for sure.
    Love collonite paste but its a MAJORRRRRR job on a 32 foot boat. Need to make it manageable and doable.

Is their really any difference in the durability between 845 and 476 ?

Is one easier than the other to apply and remove ?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

No sense in speculating...here you go in order of durability for automotive products...476, 915, 845:
    FAQs » Collinite Scroll down to question #2.

Automotive product selection: http://www.collinite.com/assets/Uplo...electguide.pdf

Marine product selection: http://www.collinite.com/assets/Uplo...elector726.pdf

Recently used 845 on a 25' walk-around cutty fishing boat. Machine applied, thinly, it was a breeze to apply. Slightly more than an breeze to remove and was extremely impressed with longevity and ease of use. Use too much and you have a disaster on your hands. Thin for the win!!!! Unless you detail for a living a bottle will last an eternity...well almost.
    Bill

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

No sense in speculating...here you go in order of durability for automotive products...476, 915, 845:
    FAQs » Collinite Scroll down to question #2.

Automotive product selection: http://www.collinite.com/assets/Uplo...electguide.pdf

Marine product selection: http://www.collinite.com/assets/Uplo...elector726.pdf

Recently used 845 on a 25' walk-around cutty fishing boat. Machine applied, thinly, it was a breeze to apply. Slightly more than an breeze to remove and was extremely impressed with longevity and ease of use. Use too much and you have a disaster on your hands. Thin for the win!!!! Unless you detail for a living a bottle will last an eternity...well almost.
    Thanks !!

Seems like the 845 Insulator and 915 Marine was gives the same durability. Did you do the whole process to the insultator prior to applying ? Was that quick and easy ? The hot water bath and then shaking ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pier-pressure View Post
    Thanks !!

Seems like the 845 Insulator and 915 Marine was gives the same durability. Did you do the whole process to the insultator prior to applying ? Was that quick and easy ? The hot water bath and then shaking ?
    The Collinite 915 is in their automotive line. Big picture...it can be used for boats as well, as can the 885 marine which can also be applied to cars.

Not sure I understand what it is you're asking in your reference to "the whole process."

As far as "hot water" is concerned I did place the bottle in hot water as it was early spring time in northern Ohio when I used the product. About 10-15 minutes then shake vigorously. The product still wasn't a liquid, but I easily squeezed about 3 small dabs...as in squeeze the bottle just so a bit is sticking out of the bottle, then just wipe my finger across it, then prime the pad with what's on my finger.

Trust me...a little goes a long, long way.

One way to see if you have additional product left in he pad is to press the pad against the boat and look at the hull at an angle to light. When you think you're about out of product, press the pad against the hull, look at the hull at an angle to the light and if you see product on the hull...keep moving and spread it out. Do it again...press the pad against the hull and look for product that squeezed out. If you see product there's still plenty of wax to keep working with.
    Bill

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The Collinite 915 is in their automotive line. Big picture...it can be used for boats as well, as can the 885 marine which can also be applied to cars.

Not sure I understand what it is you're asking in your reference to "the whole process."

As far as "hot water" is concerned I did place the bottle in hot water as it was early spring time in northern Ohio when I used the product. About 10-15 minutes then shake vigorously. The product still wasn't a liquid, but I easily squeezed about 3 small dabs...as in squeeze the bottle just so a bit is sticking out of the bottle, then just wipe my finger across it, then prime the pad with what's on my finger.

Trust me...a little goes a long, long way.

One way to see if you have additional product left in he pad is to press the pad against the boat and look at the hull at an angle to light. When you think you're about out of product, press the pad against the hull, look at the hull at an angle to the light and if you see product on the hull...keep moving and spread it out. Do it again...press the pad against the hull and look for product that squeezed out. If you see product there's still plenty of wax to keep working with.
    sorry I meant the 925 Marine line, if that is easier to apply than the INSULATOR one. Im probably going to go with the marine one seems like durability is equal.

Post Thanks / Like

You can use either, 925, or the 845, or any other product of your chosing.

Collinite 845 is listed as an automotive... Read here... Insulator Wax » Collinite ...and an industrial wax...Read here... Insulator Liquid/Gel Wax Protector » Collinite .

Now that you're good and confused about where 845 can be applied, simply read the bottle and use it for which ever purpose you choose...that's the big picture.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Not to add anymore confusion, but have you considered going with DG 601/105 after the 501?

I did this on our boats this spring. Neither stay in the water 24/7 and are stored inside, but the DG seems to be holding up very well. Can't wait to see how they are doing next year. This is Great Lakes environment also.
    2011 Ford F-150 FX4 5.0L -- My Flickr Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast