autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Detailing a boat on a lift??

Most boats that I detail are on lifts here. Over the years I've used ladders clamped to lift railings to polish sides. I've also used my 9 ft aluminum ladder in the water and worked my self around boat. I've used a small skiff to do undersides when needed. I purchased a gheenoe for it's stability in the water too. Now I have a kayak that has been working great too. Any other boat detailers have any other tips for detailing a boat on a lift? I liked the portable docks but a yak is easier for me to transport. Alot of boat owners here don't have trailers here because they just drive to marina to have service done. Last week I purchased a aluminum tandem trailer I will allow customers to use while I'm restoring boat. Its a Rolls Axle trailer so adjustment are very easily made to accept most hulls to 27ft. I do charge extra for hull outs. With summer getting close I'm probaly gonna be in the market for a smaller trailer too. Am I missing someting here ? Just wanna make sure I am not missing something obvious besides cleaning them at marina.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing a boat on a lift??

How do you use a kayak. Do you lift it to the level of the boat that you are working on?

Post Thanks / Like

In the right conditions I can stand and wax entire hull with boat lowered half way down on lift. I'm also able to do undeside of hull that alot of others don't. I'm really looking at the Jackson 14 cuda for it's stability. I currently have a wilderness system tarpon 120 yak. The gheenoe is my favorite though. Once you get use to standing up you just pull your self along sides wax on wax off

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by STPETEDALE View Post
    In the right conditions I can stand and wax entire hull with boat lowered half way down on lift. I'm also able to do undeside of hull that alot of others don't. I'm really looking at the Jackson 14 cuda for it's stability. I currently have a wilderness system tarpon 120 yak. The gheenoe is my favorite though. Once you get use to standing up you just pull your self along sides wax on wax off
    You sound like you know what you are doing to me. Good luck in finding a more efficient way

I would love to see a pic of your setup

Post Thanks / Like

The kayak is nothing special but gets you in the water to get the job done. If it's a big job I launch the Gheenoe. It's a Custom Lt25. With a 6inch lift yadayada. For stability it can't be beat and will float in a couple inches of water.Acouple stick it anchors and you are good to go . I'll try and upload a photo. Most boat lifts are in 4/5ft of water so no biggie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Detailing a boat on a lift??-20140220_172901-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by STPETEDALE View Post
    The kayak is nothing special but gets you in the water to get the job done. If it's a big job I launch the Gheenoe. It's a Custom Lt25. With a 6inch lift yadayada. For stability it can't be beat and will float in a couple inches of water.Acouple stick it anchors and you are good to go . I'll try and upload a photo. Most boat lifts are in 4/5ft of water so no biggie
    I was trying to picture the boat on a car lift

I understand what you are doing now

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I was trying to picture the boat on a car lift

I understand what you are doing now

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 16 ft 2x8 with a 8ft 2x6 on the bottom.most lifts are a little longger then 8 ft from rail to rail. Then I use 2 ropes to hold the wood to the lift. This gets me to the end of the boat and 16 ft down the side. Next i take the board and put it on the sea wall to the frist bar on the lift this gets the front of the boat.Same on other side now if there isnt a pear on 2nd side just turn the boat the other way and your good to go.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

AERÉ Work Platform

These guys make an inflatable work float. It's great if you don't have the room to haul around a regular float.

Post Thanks / Like

OP Could you build/attach a semi-permanent wooden scaffolding unit onto your boat

Quote Originally Posted by jdscooby View Post