autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

scratches (imbedded)

I'm not having any luck removing the unfelt scratches in my gel coat. I'm using (aggressively) the 7424XP, an orange pad and Meguiar's 105 compound.

Does anyone else have a suggestion on what to try next?

This is a 2012 boat and I've noticed these scratches since day 1. What is the possibility of the scratches being underneath the gel coat? In other words, a bad fiberglass job that has been gel coated??

Again, I cannot feel these scratches, but they are a painful eyesore in just the right light and angle.

Here are some links for your review of the scratches.

http://www.cs2photography.com/s1.jpg

http://www.cs2photography.com/s2.jpg

http://www.cs2photography.com/s3.jpg

http://www.cs2photography.com/s4.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: scratches (imbedded)

Im not very knowledgeable in boat polishing but I would have to think you need to go with something more aggressive like the LC thin wool pad and I would think that you would need more in way of a tool as well like a flex or a rotary.
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed. PC isn't going to get it done. If that's your only choice you will need MF pads.

A better choice is the rosary buffer. You might be able to rent one or I've read Harbor Freight has an affordable one.

Traditionally RB W/wool pads is the combo for gel coat. You should read the info in the marine threads. Some of those scratches look pretty deep.

Also see if moderators can change tour thread title to indicate gel oat or a boat.
    Semper Fi
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like
    Those look horrible! Could be Shoty gelcoat fabricating. You can feel them at all? They look like marks from rubbing aginist the dock or trailer.( cant tell where the scratches are from the picture)The boat was never re-gelled or painted at some point or a repair the wasn't properly filled and then gel coated. If you could feel them you'd have to level out the scratches by sanding then compound, polish ect.. From what I've seen on tv boats are made backwards , the make mold first, then spray the gelcoat, then spray a few layers of fiberglass resin. The factory could have messed up really bad, but seems unlikely, and what ever happened, did so at a later point. I'd take it back to the dealer or salesman of its still in warranty have then repair it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try No.7 Polishing Compound and you'll see outstanding results.
    Find it anywhere, it's all I use on gel coats
    Give it a shot, heck it can't be beat for 5 bucks.
    cajundetailingbykevin.com
    vpcajun@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Theraven View Post
    Those look horrible! Could be Shoty gelcoat fabricating. You can feel them at all? They look like marks from rubbing aginist the dock or trailer.( cant tell where the scratches are from the picture)The boat was never re-gelled or painted at some point or a repair the wasn't properly filled and then gel coated. If you could feel them you'd have to level out the scratches by sanding then compound, polish ect.. From what I've seen on tv boats are made backwards , the make mold first, then spray the gelcoat, then spray a few layers of fiberglass resin. The factory could have messed up really bad, but seems unlikely, and what ever happened, did so at a later point. I'd take it back to the dealer or salesman of its still in warranty have then repair it.
    These scratches have been here since day one of receiving the boat. I've tried to correct them on my own, but have had no luck with the tools I've mentioned (the DA, the meguiar's M105 and the orange pads). I can't feel these at all, the finish is very smooth.

I may try the more aggressive rotary and some wool pads before asking the dealership for help.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Best of luck

Post Thanks / Like

Mike
    Should be able to tell you his thoughts tomorrow when he sees this but I know a DA is not powerful enough for sure.
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Evan.J View Post
    Mike
    Should be able to tell you his thoughts tomorrow when he sees this but I know a DA is not powerful enough for sure.
    Do you know how to bring Mike's attention to the thread?

Thank you

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by master_photog View Post
    I'm not having any luck removing the unfelt scratches in my gel coat. I'm using (aggressively) the 7424XP, an orange pad and Meguiar's 105 compound.

Does anyone else have a suggestion on what to try next?

This is a 2012 boat and I've noticed these scratches since day 1. What is the possibility of the scratches being underneath the gel coat? In other words, a bad fiberglass job that has been gel coated??

Again, I cannot feel these scratches, but they are a painful eyesore in just the right light and angle.

Here are some links for your review of the scratches.

http://www.cs2photography.com/s1.jpg

http://www.cs2photography.com/s2.jpg

http://www.cs2photography.com/s3.jpg

http://www.cs2photography.com/s4.jpg

From the looks of the scratches in the pictures, they were in the mold or in the prep work when the boat was painted.

I'm logging off for the day, my eyes are bugging out, but see this article, same kind of idea...

Here's what Dieback or Shrinkback looks like in fresh paint

I don't think you can fix this unless the coating you're working on is thick. I do troubleshooting by placing a tape-line on an affected section and then buffing on only one side of the tape-line. Real quick you can see if you're "affecting" the surface and removing the defect or not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast