autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Polishing hatch & port windows

I think there usually Acrylic or Polycarbonate. I've gone over them lightly with a buffer to remove some haze but never accually tried to polish them out in fear of distorting or hazing ruining them. I'm sure it's similar to restoring headlights, usually the windows get scratched and beat up a bit more. Any tips or procedures/products would be great. Anybody ever try polishing Isinglass/clear Vinyl windows. If you look at those things wrong They'll scratch.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polishing hatch & port windows

I just used DG 681 on headlights and was astonished how fast and good they looked afterwards. I used a foam applicator by hand. When I tried to remove it with a MF the haze did not budge. After spraying the light with a QD and using a MF the haze came right off and left a clear/clean lense behind.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by davidc View Post
    I just used DG 681 on headlights and was astonished how fast and good they looked afterwards. I used a foam applicator by hand. When I tried to remove it with a MF the haze did not budge. After spraying the light with a QD and using a MF the haze came right off and left a clear/clean lense behind.

Dave
    Always wondered how that performed. How bad were the headlights? Any before or afters? I have the meguiars plastic polish but never tried it on headlights.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KillaCam View Post
    Always wondered how that performed. How bad were the headlights? Any before or afters? I have the meguiars plastic polish but never tried it on headlights.
    The lights were not to bad. slight yellowing and water spots. I usually have to do a 205 number on them but remembered I had the 681. Scared the Crap out of me when it would not wipe off at first. Sprayed a little QD on the lense and everything was good and slick. Applied the mix of 601/105. Trying another experiment and applied some Opti-Seal over the DG. Rained a little last night and I noticed some spots on the lense which usually required 501 to clean up but a squirt of Aqua Wax took care of it.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, no pics. I really wasn't expecting the outcome to be as spectacular as it was because the 681 did not feel abrasive at all. Does it chemically ?.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Just took some after pics

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    The lights look good. I'm assuming it has some abrasives since it polished plastic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KillaCam View Post
    The lights look good. I'm assuming it has some abrasives since it polished plastic.
    Yeah, after I hit submit I realized what I said. Don't know how chemicals could remove scratches. I will blame it on old age. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Lights aren't bad being 8 years old outside 24/7.

Dave