autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Rolling Stool Caster Replacement?

Has anyone out there replaced their rolling still casters with some beefier wheels? I ask because I have a Craftsman stool that works well, except the wheels get get caught on EVERYTHING. Every crack and crevice, every cord, etc. Poor design for a shoo chair IMO. I was thinking of trying to replace the wheels with some actual inflated ones or something but wasn't sure it if was possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rolling Stool Caster Replacement?

Check out your local hardware store (local or 'HD' type) and just cruz the caster/wheel section. There are gazillions of those things. Warning, they CAN get pricy.

Good luck...

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BillE View Post
    Check out your local hardware store (local or 'HD' type) and just cruz the caster/wheel section. There are gazillions of those things. Warning, they CAN get pricy.

Good luck...

Bill
    That was my thought. Would the wheels on this thing just be the standard casters?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AustrianOak82 View Post
    That was my thought. Would the wheels on this thing just be the standard casters?
    Probably.

On my 'El Cheapo' stool, just a standard 3" X 5/8" thru-bolted type of caster. One thing good about mine is, 6 wheels vice the normal 4 or 5. It will hang up if I try and run over an extension cord (or the like) but diff NOT tippy.

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a craftsmen stool for the last 2 years and it busted this year. The padded seat part busted off, however I just picked up one of these Traxion Pro Gear Seats. It was just delivered on Friday and I used it for the first time this weekend. This thing is awesome! It was kinda pricey, but I feel it was definately worth it being that it will be used a lot and rolls nicer with the larger wheels on my floor.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the exact same scooter. Man that thing is nice, rolls great, lower moving storage tray. The small back rest is nice to lean against every so often.

Post Thanks / Like

I have replaced my casters on my Griots chair twice now. I use Sunline Casters and they are online. Because they are local to me i simply drive over there and pick out my new set. When i talked to the sales staff i explain what i'm replacing and they recommend the wheels i have now. Beefier and slightly rubberized to make the occassional electric cord rollover effortless. Maybe visit their website and you might see something you like. That and maybe a phone call for any questions you have.

I don't know specifically what i have for wheels but they're even better than the last set i got from them. And more durable as well.

I am, in know way, affilliated with this company...just happy with a source for detail chair casters.

Post Thanks / Like

I've gone through about 8 craftsman rolling creeper seats over the past 10 years of detailing...The guys, including myself, just flat wear them out! Either breaking the seats off the pneumatic cylinder, rolling the wheels off, or bearings wearing out... However, I typically buy these stools for $22 a piece... The Traxion Pro Gear Seats look very nice, comfortable, etc...but at $135 a piece, I can buy 6 craftsman creeper seats instead of 1 Traxion Pro Gear Seat...

Of course then the argument is maybe the one Traxion Pro Gear Seat will outlast the 6 Craftsman creeper seats.... Decisions, Decisions!
    Keep Calm... and Detail On!

Eric

Post Thanks / Like

I was also gun shy because of the price for quite awhile, but now after purchasing it I wish I would have done it a long time ago. This seat is so comfortable and rolls around so much nicer I barely go up unless I had to. I have a racedeck style floor in my shop and the craftsman never really rolled around on that very nice, while this rolls around very easy.

You can always get yourself one and make the guys all use the craftsman ones