autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking for a good car cover

My dad has a '86 chvy that's going to be in a garage for about a year. It will be pritty boxed in.

I want to buy a good cover for the car to prevent it from a years worth of dust. But are are the all the same or is there a quality difference? The temp. is going to be about 60 fahrenheit.

I'm fine whit spending a bit of cash on this.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for a good car cover

Quote Originally Posted by TDK View Post
    My dad has a '86 chvy that's going to be in a garage for about a year. It will be pritty boxed in.

I want to buy a good cover for the car to prevent it from a years worth of dust. But are are the all the same or is there a quality difference? The temp. is going to be about 60 fahrenheit.

I'm fine whit spending a bit of cash on this.

Thanks
    The best is Covercraft, where you'll get a cover that properly fits the vehicle. Other universal types are generally garbage, and very ill fitting.

If the vehicle will never sit outside, that will considerably lessen the cost, even with a custom fitted cover like the covercraft There's really no need then for a waterproof cover for one. Cotton would be one material, but I believe there are lighter materials, which are less bulky, and this mighr be a consideration when it comes time to launder such a cover.

They are sold right here. If there's any custom add ons, such as spoilers, etc, they can make adjustments to further customize if needed. They take about 3 weeks from time of order, to be at your doorstep.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    The best is Cover raft
    ^^^I agree^^^

For your intended purpose, get one of these:

The Covercraft Tan Flannel Car Cover is available in over 400 custom car cover patterns from Covercraft.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Second the motion on Covercraft. If the car is going to stay inside, get the duststop lined version. I have a 69 Shelby of which I am the original owner and it has the original paint, and I am well please with this cover.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow. Some good and quick respons. Thanke you.

I was hoping to find something that's not costum. I'd like to get the cover in the next 6-8 days and I'm in Iceland so shiping is going to take some time.

BTW. Do we nead to take the cover off every month or so or can it just stay on for months?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

You may try calling Covercraft directly. They stock many covers and may be able to work one up for you in a hurry. Also, if the car is going to be stored for a period of time with the battery in it, be sure and use a battery tender. Not a charger, but a battery tender. I store mine for most of the Winter and only start it occasionally in the garage. You want the battery to keep it's level of charge. You shouldn't need to take the cover off at all, and depending on where and how you store it, be sure to also protect it from rodents.

Post Thanks / Like

Covercraft all the way! Ive got their Weathershield HP and have no complains. I second the batter tender, I use detran's tender + on my garage queen and john deere.

Griots' also carries an inflatable car bubble that looks interesting:
    Indoor Inflatable Car Capsule - Car Covers - Car Maintenance - Griot's Garage

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShelbyGT-350 View Post
    You may try calling Covercraft directly. They stock many covers and may be able to work one up for you in a hurry. Also, if the car is going to be stored for a period of time with the battery in it, be sure and use a battery tender. Not a charger, but a battery tender. I store mine for most of the Winter and only start it occasionally in the garage. You want the battery to keep it's level of charge. You shouldn't need to take the cover off at all, and depending on where and how you store it, be sure to also protect it from rodents.

Thanks. I think dad will be starting the car every month if i know him right so the battery will be fine. But english not being my first language what are rodents? Are they like buggs and stuff? Hardly any of that in Iceland but for a few small spiders and flys and ther are non of them active during the winter

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Even though your Dad will probably be starting the car at least once a month, a battery tender is still not a bad idea. With modern batteries they tend to lose their charge if the vehicle isn't driven very often. And, I'm sure the last thing he'd want to do was to be jump starting it every time he went to start it. We live out in the country so rodents to us mean field mice. They try to get into the garage and the stored cars especially during the Winter months and build nests. If you don't have them, then that's a good thing. One less thing to worry about.

Post Thanks / Like

Did anyone mention Covercraft???

The material you choose depends on the environment where you are going to keep your vehicle.
    A garage queen cover is very different than the type of material for outdoor So. Florida weather.

I used a CC weathershield HD for many years in the heat and rain. It's like a outdoor garage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast