autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Car cover.. What's the best?

So I need to get a cover but I am worried about it causing swirls or marks. Are there any suggestions to a brand that will really protect and not chaff or mar the finish?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Car cover.. What's the best?

Covercraft.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Bob, I'm suprised you didn't recommend that "bubble" that I remember you posting a few months back.

Post Thanks / Like

Without any doubt, the cover to have is by Covercraft.

I have the NOAH, it's been great so far.

I gather since you're speaking about a worry of chafing-marring, then I'll assume you want an outdoor cover. Of course any outdoor cover can be used in a Garage, or any other setting (Carport-etc)

Go with the Covercraft best, minimum being the NOAH, or the Weathershield, and you will not be disappointed. You'll pay up front, get a little sticker shock, but after you receive the cover, and the cover has been in service for a good number of months, you'll have absolutely no regrets on the purchase.

I live here in New Mexico, where winds are almost a daily occurrence. Yes, fine dusts will get under the cover, I notice this, and just the other day, seen some dusts on the hood, but nothing in the way of marring.

NM winds are brutal, the cover, even with gust guard straps, and security tie down will billow at the windshield-roof area, but this is a Tahoe SUV.

Downside with my cover.... It is large! A smaller cover for a car might be easier to wash in a home washing machine. My Cover is so large, I need a "Heisenberg Drum" to wash it. Reason why, is no laundermat in this one horse hick town has a commercial washing machine large enough.

I've been getting by, by hosing it down, and sometimes I flip it inside out over the vehicle, and spray down with water.

Weather conditions here is about identical if you were parked in the Yukon, without the temp difference. And temps have no effects on such fine covers. The Covercraft NOAH would stay soft and flexible in 120F heat, as it would in minus 35F below.

I sprayed my cover with Aerospace 303 Fabric Guard. When I spray it down, dirts-dusts drop right off the cover. My cover is about 90% waterproof, meaning, I see some water spots on the front and rear bumpers after a spray down, but nowhere else.

I have to get on a ladder, and sop up water pooling on the roof, but no leakthrough there.

Would I buy another Covercraft Cover for any hypothetical future vehicle that was worthy of such protection?
    Darn right I would!

They're the best, without a doubt.

Commonly about a 2-3 week delivery direct from the factory.

If there are any Custom add ons to your vehicle (Superbees, and such) be sure to tell them, and if not pleased with their answers, then press them, or don't buy it.

Who needs to go through the rigamorole of getting a custom fitted cover, then need to send it back for mods-repairs on "your dime".
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Haha, I remember seeing that, yup, not on the list

Quote Originally Posted by spiralout462 View Post
    Bob, I'm suprised you didn't recommend that "bubble" that I remember you posting a few months back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    Without any doubt, the cover to have is by Covercraft.

I have the NOAH, it's been great so far.

I gather since you're speaking about a worry of chafing-marring, then I'll assume you want an outdoor cover. Of course any outdoor cover can be used in a Garage, or any other setting (Carport-etc)

Go with the Covercraft best, minimum being the NOAH, or the Weathershield, and you will not be disappointed. You'll pay up front, get a little sticker shock, but after you receive the cover, and the cover has been in service for a good number of months, you'll have absolutely no regrets on the purchase.

I live here in New Mexico, where winds are almost a daily occurrence. Yes, fine dusts will get under the cover, I notice this, and just the other day, seen some dusts on the hood, but nothing in the way of marring.

NM winds are brutal, the cover, even with gust guard straps, and security tie down will billow at the windshield-roof area, but this is a Tahoe SUV.

Downside with my cover.... It is large! A smaller cover for a car might be easier to wash in a home washing machine. My Cover is so large, I need a "Heisenberg Drum" to wash it. Reason why, is no laundermat in this one horse hick town has a commercial washing machine large enough.

I've been getting by, by hosing it down, and sometimes I flip it inside out over the vehicle, and spray down with water.

Weather conditions here is about identical if you were parked in the Yukon, without the temp difference. And temps have no effects on such fine covers. The Covercraft NOAH would stay soft and flexible in 120F heat, as it would in minus 35F below.

I sprayed my cover with Aerospace 303 Fabric Guard. When I spray it down, dirts-dusts drop right off the cover. My cover is about 90% waterproof, meaning, I see some water spots on the front and rear bumpers after a spray down, but nowhere else.

I have to get on a ladder, and sop up water pooling on the roof, but no leakthrough there.

Would I buy another Covercraft Cover for any hypothetical future vehicle that was worthy of such protection?
    Darn right I would!

They're the best, without a doubt.

Commonly about a 2-3 week delivery direct from the factory.

If there are any Custom add ons to your vehicle (Superbees, and such) be sure to tell them, and if not pleased with their answers, then press them, or don't buy it.

Who needs to go through the rigamorole of getting a custom fitted cover, then need to send it back for mods-repairs on "your dime".
    Mark
    Thanks Mark.
    Yes it will be out doors. I live in Florida, the car is under a carport but between critters, dust, and the sun that reaches it not including the wind, rain, and thunderstorms is is a challenge to keep things protected without a garage.

Post Thanks / Like

I know Florida gets lots of rain, and considerable high winds from tropical storms, hurricanes.

One quality about my NOAH Cover, and this is a very important aspect, is trapping water between the cover and vehicle.

Trapped water can really damage paint, more so than any dusts probably could. Florida is a relatively "dust free" state, but being anywhere near water, either east or west coasts, then blowing sand can also be a problem, and would probably be detrimental to a paint finish if trapped for a long length of time.

Here, we get two kinds of dusts, depending on how the wind acts, and what direction it comes from. One, the common desert dirt, a fine brown dust that covers everything, and two, Gypsum, from the largest Gypsum Field on the Planet, White Sands National Monument, and Missle Range.

The NOAH breathes very nicely, surprising, for how waterproof it is.

I have seen evidence of slight leakage on mine (dried water spots because our water here is horrible, loaded with Caliche), but only at the front and back of the cover. Why this is, I have no idea, could possibly be the sewn seams, or the inherit design of the cover, as it is made up of sewn panels to make, but the water dries fairly quickly because the cover breathes well.

I've noted no leakage anywhere else, even at the roof, where it pools because of the luggage rack. Had the vehicle had no luggage rack, I wouldn't have to go on a ladder to sop up the pooled water, it would run off.

The Gust Guards that Covercraft sell is good to have, but I had noticed the Plastic Clamps were quite wimpy, and it took no time for one of them to break.

I found much better ones at Walmart in the Auto-RV Section where they keep nylon tie down straps, etc, and they are quite substantial and solid.

I used 4 common office spring clamps (like for clipping paper and folders together) at the front air dam, and use the two gust guard cords-clamps behind the front wheels, and in front of the rear wheels.

My vehicle is parked that it faces west, and thus faces the common prevalent winds here.

Post Thanks / Like

Mark

I took your advice and ordered a Covercraft Weathershield HP. Actually dust here is a big issue. I live in the stix and our road is not paved so dirt and dust are constant. They listed this as one of the best for this type of situation.
    I found a coupon for Auto Anything and saved about $80.00 of their price and almost $160.00 of the price from them directly.

Mike will be using my car for a demo on the 14th and I want to make sure I can keep it looking good after that day.

Thanks again for the advice.