autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Heat Shield/Hood insulation - something to reduce heat

Has anybody installed or done anything under their car's hood to cut down on heat? I know newer cars usually have some kind of insulation, but I have an older Acura Integra that has NOTHING under there. That's the way they came.

Therefore, this hood gets HOT. Very hot. Also pretty typical for this car. Granted it's old, but I've noticed the part that gets the hottest is also the part where the paint looks the worst. It's even more pronounced on other Integra's I've seen and they've lost their clearcoat in the "hot" spots.

Was just wondering if anybody's tried to use any kind of heatshield material before that doesn't suck. I tried using some of the aluminum type that sticks on with self-adhesive. Didn't really help.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Heat Shield/Hood insulation - something to reduce heat

I hear you about wanting to keep in insulated. My 07 BMW has a liner while my 11 BMW dosent. So when the manufacturer was during its testing either the liner didnt make much difference or money was a factor.

You can put in a lower temp thermostat, flush the coolant, and add a radiator additive to lower the temps if you cant get a liner.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you used some Dynamat kind of material. That company (Dynamat) makes a Dynaliner to go over the Dynamat for thermal protection. Eastwood carries this stuff but they only seem to have the Dynaliner in 1/4" although they make it in 1/2" thick.

EDIT: They also make a product called Hoodliner. Dynamat has a dealer locator on their site and I see Summit Racing as well as Eastwood. I've never used this stuff, just trying to help.

Post Thanks / Like

I used the Reflectix brand foil-faced bubble wrap stuff right from the home improvement store, adhered to the hood with silicone sealant. I applied it in the heat of summer last year and it's been great so far. Looks good, easy to keep and very cheap too.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

hmm...Cool...This is similar to what I have now, but it looks like your Reflectix stuff is thicker. Also, maybe in my case, I need to somehow cover the entire underside (including the cross beams, etc.) although it looks neater the way you/I have it now. I need to check Summit as well I guess to see if I can get something better.

One thing for sure, the heat (slowly) kills the paint in my opinion. I think Acura knows this because I saw a pic of a European Integra that DID have a factory heat shield. But of course, no luck in finding that part over here. I'm sure it was a cost-saving thing because they figured no fool would keep the car that long...hah.

Post Thanks / Like

I wrapped my up pipe and down pipe in heat wrap (lava wrap). Until I get my new heat shield (that clears my new down pipe) I won't know for sure.

Detail Fest 2012 Face Book Page
    Club Flex 3401/PE14-2-150
    -Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigez View Post
    hmm...Cool...This is similar to what I have now, but it looks like your Reflectix stuff is thicker. Also, maybe in my case, I need to somehow cover the entire underside (including the cross beams, etc.) although it looks neater the way you/I have it now. I need to check Summit as well I guess to see if I can get something better.

One thing for sure, the heat (slowly) kills the paint in my opinion. I think Acura knows this because I saw a pic of a European Integra that DID have a factory heat shield. But of course, no luck in finding that part over here. I'm sure it was a cost-saving thing because they figured no fool would keep the car that long...hah.
    Last summer I was doing the final prep of my Camino for a judged show, and decided I could no longer tolerate the ugly OEM fiberglass insulation, so off to the local Lowe's to see what was available quick. I decided to give this stuff a try and have been quite satisfied. I took a heat gun to the material and it took far more heat to eventually melt the plastic bubble material than I ever thought an underhood enviornment could generate. It tolerated the August heat without a problem. I was quite concerned about the paint, as my Camino has the 24 year-old original lacquer. IMO, the air space in the ribs does a good job of tempering the underhood heat, so I only insulated between the ribs. This year, I may add a second layer with nicer-finished edges, but I do believe my $15 investment will do just fine.

Bill