autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Harbor Freight Tool Box

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    No Menards near me. How is the quality? I'm pretty good on wrenches and sockets until I break one. Replacement screwdrivers from Craftsman are worthless. The Wiha and Wera screwdrivers I have are very good. May just get a set and be done. Lowe's and Home Depot have their on brands with lifetime warranty as well. Quality isn't there for me.
    Excellent quality. All best grade steel made on craftsmans industrial line supposedly. I can send a link to sets I bought
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    Off-topic, but how have you found warranty replacements? My concern with Snap-On is that it seems to rolling-tool-truck driver dependent.
    No problems with Snap-On warranty here. I've called and had a couple very old items replaced no questions asked. Sent me a ratchet rebuild kit and a brand new screw driver that I broke the tip off. Just call them from the website. Obviously they have to mail it, but still hassle free. They didn't even want any old parts sent back.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to love craftsman. The stuff I have from 20 years ago is great. Any hand tools I've bought in the last 5 years have been junk. My wife got me a nice tool box with ball bearing slides, and it's held up well. I probably buy a matching top before they're gone. Especially after this was announced: Stanley Black and Decker Buys Craftsman

Most of the tools that I need sparingly, or are some sort of one-time-use specialty item come from HF or Northern tool. Both sell decent stuff, that gets the job done. I'm sure the same can be said about their tool boxes.

Post Thanks / Like

^^^I'm pretty sure a lot of their tool as of recently, before the acquisition, are already made from Stanley.

Post Thanks / Like

I just went and looked at the US General toolbox at Harbor Freight this evening. The drawers are not quite as smooth as the more expensive ones but the cabinets feel heavy and good quality. I will probably pick one of the $329 boxes up. Didn't have my truck tonight.

Post Thanks / Like

Northern Tool has a sale right now and they usually have better quality than HF. Im thinking about getting this work cart.

Ironton 4-Drawer Tool Cart — 500-Lb. Capacity | Work Carts| Northern Tool + Equipment

This one looks equivalent to the OP's HF chest

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...1343_200581343

Post Thanks / Like

While I did mention master force tools, their boxes are also decent quality from the reviews.
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pilotpip View Post
    I used to love craftsman. The stuff I have from 20 years ago is great. Any hand tools I've bought in the last 5 years have been junk.
    Quote Originally Posted by anonymoususer View Post
    ^^^I'm pretty sure a lot of their tool as of recently, before the acquisition, are already made from Stanley.
    <Tool rant>
    It depends on the tool. My Craftsman screwdrivers have always been iffy - way too soft. Took me until a few years ago to realize that unlimited replacement crappy screwdrivers are worthless. Rather than getting free replacements I finally learned it's better to just get good drivers. My Wiha and Wera drives don't wear out. I also learned about JIS. I worked on motorcycles for years and had no idea why I kept stripping Phillips screws. (I detest Phillips and all it's various, subtle variants.)

Based on ~40 years of experience and some reading, Craftsman tools have always been made by somebody else. The manufacturer depends on the tool and when you buy it. And even then it depends on on how they spec'd the tool - a good tool company could still make a crappy Craftsman tool.

There are some Craftsman pliers being sold now that are clearly OEM'd from Knipex, who arguably make the best pliers available today. Getting those during a Craftsman sale is a great deal. The only issue is if you take them back in 10 years for a replacement you have no idea what you're going to get if they've stopped sourcing those from Knipex. For this reason I see the Craftsman warranty as low value. The industrial and pro tools from Craftsman can be better. Still have to look closely at the tool. Most of these were still made in the U.S. last time I checked.

I've mostly moved on to other brands and don't buy a lot of tools anyway, but I would consider the Craftsman industrial or pro. Rather than hoping my Craftsman ratchet is made my Facom or Matco, I'll just buy those brands.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

Post Thanks / Like

I work as a professional automotive technician. When I got into the auto repair game back n 94, I was all about THE BOX. I felt that, if I had a nice expensive box, the seasoned techs would take me seriously.
    The only thing I learned was that the tool truck guy was serious about my money every week.

I got out the game around 97, and stared doing computer work, as the tech bubble was just getting started . I made dam good money, but when it all went to hell, I ended right back in auto repair.

Only this time, I was smarter.

I started my career....AGAIN...but this time with a Craftsman box I picked up on Black Friday 2002. Kept it until 2006. Sold it and went and got a Harbor Freight 42" tool box, with side cabinet for both sides, and the top chest. Total was $854. I still have it.

I went last year and get the 72" tool box. The metal is a little thinner than the boxes I got in '06, but it holds my tools, and that's all I need it for. I have a $1800 Snap-On roll around that has all my essential tools in it, as it's easier to roll them around then to constantly make trips back and forth to my home base tool box.

When the snap on guy saw my box, he was kinda mad. How come I didn't get one of his boxes, he asked. Because this box was less than $1,000. That's why. But it holds over 50k in tools and diag equipment. I don't need a 20k box and a $500 a month payment for something I can't drive.

I spend my money where I need it most...in QUALITY TOOLS THAT HELP MAKE ME MONEY!! In all my years, I've never seen a toolbox turn a wrench, or diag a check engine light.

That being said, the harbor freight tool boxes are dam near second to none. They are affordable, well made, hold up over time, and they will retain their value for the remainder of your life, granted that you at least take SOME care for it. I also have 3 of the 5 Drawer Rollaround Service cart. One at home, one for my diagnostic scanner and lab scope, and another that is loaded with some decent tools for my helper.
    I may get made fun of every once in a while....but it's no laughing matter when I take trips, buy neat stuff, and always have cash on me. When the guys ask me how I always have money for stuff, I always tell them...because I'm not making payments on a box for 5 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Boom. Best post of the thread right there. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Kirk Harrod's Mobile Detailing, Frankfort, KY
    Official Detailer of Camarofest 8 & 9
    No one has detailed more Camaros.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast