autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Harbor Freight Tool Box

I work for a Chevy dealer with about a dozen techs. As you might expect, Snap-On, Matco and Cornwell are the predominant toolbox brands. One of the younger guys bought a HF 40" lower box last summer. I asked if he'd do it again and he replied "definitely". He added " I make my living with my tools, so I buy the best stuff I can. The box is just a place to keep them. As long as it holds the weight and the drawers function well, I can live without the big-buck badge. I'd rather own this box outright than be making payments forever on a box from one of the tool trucks."
    Our techs have their own work bays, so nobody has to push their boxes around the shop constantly or use it as a workbench, which is where the pro-level boxes may have a definite edge in durability.
    I'm a Snap-On guy, even though I'm not a pro, but it's hard to argue with his logic.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

For $359, plus a 20% off coupon, I'd say its worth a shot.

I currently use old filing-style cabinets that I buy at auction for $5 each, but they are obviously not perfect for tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Kirk Harrod's Mobile Detailing, Frankfort, KY
    Official Detailer of Camarofest 8 & 9
    No one has detailed more Camaros.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
    Which one are you looking at? Link?
    This one...

72 in. 18 Drawer Glossy Red Industrial Roller Cabinet

I actually got to see it in store, thus what prompted me to ask about them. I was impressed. Initial impression was its built better than my craftsman.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been researching toolboxes lately also. The US General boxes from Harbor Freight are good quality and have received good reviews online. Last week I went to look at Husky and Milwaukee boxes at a Home Depot. The quality of the 40" and bigger boxes at HF is much better than the comparable Husky boxes, especially the stiffness of the side walls, the bigger drawer slides, and the reinforcement where the casters mount on the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
    For $359, plus a 20% off coupon, I'd say its worth a shot.

I currently use old filing-style cabinets that I buy at auction for $5 each, but they are obviously not perfect for tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    I don't think coupons can be used towards tool boxes anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by galaxy View Post
    This one...

72 in. 18 Drawer Glossy Red Industrial Roller Cabinet

I actually got to see it in store, thus what prompted me to ask about them. I was impressed. Initial impression was its built better than my craftsman.
    From everything I have read the quality is far superior to any Craftsman boxes made in the past 5-10 years.

Post Thanks / Like

I have that one with the associated top. For the money it's great. Very sturdy, drawers work well. Has some ok magnetic accessories for the side - paper towel holder, glove box holder, maybe other things.

Overall I'd give it a B on usability and an A+ on value. Some things I don't like:

- Some of the drawers in the top part are very shallow. I know it really shouldn't matter some stuff (like open/box wrenches) lay very flat. Still don't like it. Limits my options. I like my sockets to stand up in my holders. Can't do this in the shallow drawers. I like my wrenches to lay at a 45 in a holder. The biggest wrenches won't fit. If you add foam or liners it's even more challenging. It's not a showstopper, but I'd rather have 1-2 fewer drawers and more space in them.

Bottom part from the link above is good. I wish the bottom drawer was a little deeper. But it's pretty good as is. I want to be able to fit a few more larger items in it. I know have them on a shelf.

Lastly, it's a little taller than I like. I'm not 6', so maybe it's just me. The top of the top box I can see, but it's just a little too tall. 1-2" shorter would be ideal.
    For the money it's very hard to beat. If you're 5'11 or taller it's probably fine.

The other two I really like are the Milwaukee with charging outlets in the top. The very top is much nicer and more usable. That's a nice toolbox for me. Somebody else mentioned that Husky ones. The newer ones look pretty good as well.

If I hadn't already bought this I'd be looking hard at the Milwaukee on sale.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BillyJack View Post
    I'm a Snap-On guy, even though I'm not a pro, but it's hard to argue with his logic.
    Off-topic, but how have you found warranty replacements? My concern with Snap-On is that it seems to rolling-tool-truck driver dependent. Craftsman is ok with replacements. Problem is I longer want many of their tools: a replacement Phillips driver that sucks is of no use to me. Struggling right now to find the right tool brand.

(Maybe this needs its own thread?)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    Off-topic, but how have you found warranty replacements? My concern with Snap-On is that it seems to rolling-tool-truck driver dependent. Craftsman is ok with replacements. Problem is I longer want many of their tools: a replacement Phillips driver that sucks is of no use to me. Struggling right now to find the right tool brand.

(Maybe this needs its own thread?)

Masterforce by menards makes alot of tools in the USA and has a lifetime warranty on them =)
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1234 View Post
    Masterforce by menards makes alot of tools in the USA and has a lifetime warranty on them =)
    No Menards near me. How is the quality? I'm pretty good on wrenches and sockets until I break one. Replacement screwdrivers from Craftsman are worthless. The Wiha and Wera screwdrivers I have are very good. May just get a set and be done. Lowe's and Home Depot have their on brands with lifetime warranty as well. Quality isn't there for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by galaxy View Post
    Dude...just got done looking at a huge tool box at Harbor Freight. Typically their stuff doesn't hold up and I'm skeptical of getting tools and stuff from there, but I gotta say, I was impressed. I'm a Snap-On / Mac kinda guy, but this was descent. I mean even from a perspective that it looked like it might hold up nice. I don't make a living out of mine, so for home use I'm guessing it would be just fine. Anyone have a box from there or any experience? This equivalent tool box from Snap-On is $5,000+.
    We bought my son one. They are good tool boxes. The bearings in the drawers are better than the ones in my Craftman. Good heavy duty tool box.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast