autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Detailing carts ?

I've searched through the site and found very few threads with any photos or info. I'm looking into getting a detail cart put together based on a HF 24x36 cart based on a member here: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...d-my-cart.html

Otherwise I haven't been able to find much.

Post photos of yours?

2. Thanks Dan Tran thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing carts ?

Here's one from another site......there are links to several different carts:

Autopia Forum - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum

Post Thanks / Like

I was trying to search for my post on my homebuilt cart, but apparently the old posts got lost in yesterday's forum upgrade. Here's a pic of mine:

I was originally going to use the HF 16"X30" 3-shelf cart, but came across a few 18"X24" heavy aluminum trays, so I built it myself. The bottom section is enclosed on three sides with thin plexiglass to keep my MF's clean, with a clear plastic curtain for easy access in the front and some foam board dividers to keep the mf's sorted.
    The middle section has a few bins for applicators, but there's enough open space to set down a polisher or two.
    The top tray has some sections cut from mailing tubes that will keep bottles from tipping when it's being moved or also serve to stuff in a towel that's getting reused, as well as some clay bars in baggies. They're held in place against the tray with binder clips. Scraps of various size plastic tubing are glued to a piece of aluminum to hold the small stuff, such as small brushes, swabs and polisher wrenches. I've been using it for about a year and I'm very happy with the layout so far.
    I recommend getting the cart of your choice and before you get elaborate with design, do a detail or two as a test. That's what I did. I found my first priority was to have a mobile table, just so I have a place to set things down, rather than on the car or on the ground and have easy access to the things I grab on a repeated basis. I don't need to carry around the entire contents of my supply shelves. I'll load up the chemicals, tools or pads I need at that stage of the job, then refresh when I move to the next stage. I'll often use an LED spotlight in a fixture I can clamp to the cart and move around as needed as a swirl finder.
    I hope this helps you in your design. Fell free to reply with any questions.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be afraid of using a metal cart, for fear of it getting bumped and scratching paint. I'd probably want to at least wrap some foam around the edges just in case. Regarless, I can't use a cart anyway, as I have no garage and my parking space is on a slope. Even with locking wheels it'd be too much of a hassle to move a cart out from my house.

Post Thanks / Like

I work in my garage and driveway, both of which are dead level, so rolling hasn't been an issue. I did buy some rubber strips that I'm going to cover the legs with, just in case. If I had a sloped work area, I'd leave casters off two legs, so I can just do a lift and move on the remaining casters.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

BTW, that's a nice looking cart.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought 4 of them years ago from griots.They were plastic and super cheap like 40.00 bucks.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome posts guys. I'm looking for a central location I can put my "usual" go-to stuff in and keep a rotation as well as put what I will need on a specific car in.

Whatver cart I put together, I plan on having foam wrapped on the edges as to not scrape anything it may come in contact with.

Post Thanks / Like

I was just looking at carts too. I like this one from Harbor Frieght for $80. It even has a nice drawer in it to hold product or microfiber towels...

Steel Tool Cart w/ Locking Drawer