autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Test Spot Technique Advice Needed

Now that temps are starting to get warmer and the days are getting longer, it's time to wage war on swirls developed over the winter.

This spring I'll be doing some correction on two of my cars I've never polished out. I've also now have two choices of polishes and compounds to choose from, which will actually give me enough variety to do some true testing. However, this leaves me with questions on exactly how to test from least agressive to moreso.

I'll be using LC Flat pads in orange, white, black, blue. For products I have the Meguiars UC/UP Combo and the Blackfire Duo.

I get that I should try the polish(s) with the white pad, but if that doesn't get me where I need to be, should my next test be with the polish on the orange pad or the compound with the white pad? It's the transitions between pads/products where I get a little hazy.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Mike Phillips

Re: Test Spot Technique Advice Needed

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post

I get that I should try the polish(s) with the white pad, but if that doesn't get me where I need to be, should my next test be with the polish on the orange pad or the compound with the white pad? It's the transitions between pads/products where I get a little hazy.
    Both polishes are fine cut polishes, that is they are not very aggressive at all.

If the polishes don't work fast enough or efficiently enough with the polishing pads then go right to the compounds with the cutting pads.

Both compounds are very safe and in context, foam cutting pads are also very safe.

It is a good idea to do a test spot. When we buffed out my wife's SLK350 we found the Wolfgang Finishing Glaze, (a fine cut polish), together with a polish pas was all that was needed to de-swirl a Ceramiclear finish.

Test Spot
    I asked Robert to do the Test Spot using Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover with a Tangerine Hydro-Tech Polishing pad on the Flex PE14.

Inspecting with a Swirl Finder Light
    The results looked phenomenal but the pant looked good to start with.

Second Test Spot
    I did the second Test Spot, which we should have done the first time, (my fault), only this time I used the same type of pad but went less aggressive with my product and tool. For this test spot I used a 5.5" Tangerine Hydro-Tech Flat pad on the Porter Cable 7424XP and Wolfgang Finishing Glaze.

This comb removed whatever light swirls, scratches, oxidation there was on the paint so this is the combo we used over the rest of the car. It's kind of nice to have a car where the paint isn't completely filled with deep swirls and scratches for once.

What are you working on?

Post Thanks / Like

One Hobbyist to another

The polish/compound is more important than the pad. I just did my car and tried a white pad with Menz 1500 and it didn't give acceptable results. I switched to an orange pad with the same polish and it made very little difference. I then switched to Megs U/C with a white pad and bingo good results with little problems with U/C.

Having said that, you can ask and study, but you have to go polish the car to see what works. Good luck and enjoy the experimentation.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: One Hobbyist to another

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

What are you working on?

Thanks for the great info, Mike!

One car is a dark-ish gray '10 Mazda3. The paint has a lot of metal flake, so i'm not too concerned with minor flaws showing up on that one. As is, I'm having a really hard time finding any swirls in it's 4-year old paint, but I do have some minor scuffs and mars that I'd like to knock out.

The other car is a '14 VW GTI in Black metalic/pearl. The pearl/flake is really small and does nothing to hide defects. The car was new this fall which puts me in the position of knocking out the factory/dealer swirls along with the winter abuse. This car is the one I need to be the most careful with since everything done, whether good or bad, will really show!

Quote Originally Posted by Centexhokie View Post
    The polish/compound is more important than the pad. I just did my car and tried a white pad with Menz 1500 and it didn't give acceptable results. I switched to an orange pad with the same polish and it made very little difference. I then switched to Megs U/C with a white pad and bingo good results with little problems with U/C.

Having said that, you can ask and study, but you have to go polish the car to see what works. Good luck and enjoy the experimentation.
    Thanks for the tips. Both cars are pretty small, but I can see a lot of time sunk into trying things out and then getting it right.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Re: One Hobbyist to another

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post

Thanks for the tips. Both cars are pretty small, but I can see a lot of time sunk into trying things out and then getting it right.
    When I do my cars I have chosen to enjoy the experience of the correction and the finishing rather than look at it as time sunk. If you can approach it that way the experience while being work will be enjoyable. I hope you can enjoy the journey as well as the end product. Don't forget to post pictures and a write up to help the next guy/gal since that is what this forum is all about.