autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What's the best Clay bar?

Another vote for the Nanoskin Mitt and block. I also used the Glide for the lubricating agent.

Post Thanks / Like

You asked about clay bar. Clay Magic. 'nuff said.
    2008 Toyota Tacoma 410,000 miles and still going strong.

Post Thanks / Like

Ricardo
    2011 Compass Latitude Bright Silver/ 2017 Nissan Rogue SV AWD Premium Glacier White
    REFLECTIVE IMAGE DETAILING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brehkop View Post
    I am looking for the best and easiest Clay bar to use. Any suggestions my fellow car enthusiast?
    Are you claying to remove a specific type of contaminate or just the typical road and airborne fallout?

The best clay bar is the one that doesn't get dropped on the garage floor, but you'd likely want a mild clay bar if it's just for routine claying. If on the other hand, you'd be removing heavy contamination like paint overspray etc. you might be better suited with a medium or aggressive clay bar.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ezriderga View Post
    You asked about clay bar. Clay Magic. 'nuff said.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HD.Detailing View Post
    In the USA, a clay bar is a clay bar. the only difference is the grade. It does not matter if a certain company sells it.. All companies buy from the same place and label it their own.
    I don't think that statement holds true anymore since the clay patent expired. To the best of my knowledge Ricardo wasn't available in the U.S., and Optimum didn't start offering their clay bar until after the patent expired. That tells me that there possibly are some differences besides the aggressiveness.

As far as the Nanoskin Autoscrub and the S.M. Arnold towels, stick with the fine grade. And make sure you have plenty of lubrication, and don't apply more pressure than necessary. This will help mitigate marring. For soft clear coat, dark paint, and doing small area decontamination, I usually reach for Pinnacle's ultra fine poly-clay. I haven't used any other brands' fine grade to compare it to but, for me on maintained vehicles, I prefer it over rubberized clay alternatives. I also like the ability to feel the surface become smooth and see what contamination is coming off the paint onto the clay; the autoscrub and S.M. Arnold towels don't allow you to feel the paint as well IMO.
    Now if you are doing larger, flatter, heavily contaminated panels then there is now beating the Autosrub on a DA. Or if you have some very stubborn bonded contaminates, like oxidized iron particles, then again the Autoscrub is going to be the best choice.
    If you have the money then maybe a fine/ultra fine clay bar, a fine S.M. Arnold towel or a Nanoskin product, and a Optimum eraser.
    Shaun Shines Automotive Detailing, VIRGINIA BEACH, VA. http://www.facebook.com/ShaunShinesDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

I like Clay Magic and Gliptone's Body Bar.

Post Thanks / Like

Since my cars are never heavily contaminated, I have only used mild clays up till now.

The two clays that I have found to be the best are:

Pinnacle’s Ultra Poly Clay is the single finest clay composition available today. Use auto Detailing clay to deep clean car paint, glass and chrome.
    Riccardo Yellow Detailing Clay

Quote Originally Posted by HD.Detailing View Post
    In the USA, a clay bar is a clay bar. the only difference is the grade. It does not matter if a certain company sells it.. All companies buy from the same place and label it their own.
    Even before the patent expired this wasn't exactly true: companies had clay designed to their own specifications and those could vary a bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, that seems like what Meg's and Mother's had done for their clays.
    Shaun Shines Automotive Detailing, VIRGINIA BEACH, VA. http://www.facebook.com/ShaunShinesDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunD View Post
    I don't think that statement holds true anymore since the clay patent expired. To the best of my knowledge Ricardo wasn't available in the U.S., and Optimum didn't start offering their clay bar until after the patent expired. That tells me that there possibly are some differences besides the aggressiveness.

As far as the Nanoskin Autoscrub and the S.M. Arnold towels, stick with the fine grade. And make sure you have plenty of lubrication, and don't apply more pressure than necessary. This will help mitigate marring. For soft clear coat, dark paint, and doing small area decontamination, I usually reach for Pinnacle's ultra fine poly-clay. I haven't used any other brands' fine grade to compare it to but, for me on maintained vehicles, I prefer it over rubberized clay alternatives. I also like the ability to feel the surface become smooth and see what contamination is coming off the paint onto the clay; the autoscrub and S.M. Arnold towels don't allow you to feel the paint as well IMO.
    Now if you are doing larger, flatter, heavily contaminated panels then there is now beating the Autosrub on a DA. Or if you have some very stubborn bonded contaminates, like oxidized iron particles, then again the Autoscrub is going to be the best choice.
    If you have the money then maybe a fine/ultra fine clay bar, a fine S.M. Arnold towel or a Nanoskin product, and a Optimum eraser.

Nanoskin products are more expensive upfront but wayyyyy cheaper in the long run if you think about how many uses you get out of them.
    Brian Dubinsky
    ELITE: Luxury Detailing + Paint Protection
    Maryland - Northern VA - DC

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast