autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

How to clean road salt......

What is the best way of cleaning off road salt with little or no damage to the paint? Right now it is 10* with a wind chill of -1* outside and 12" of snow on the ground. My truck is coated with about 1/4" of salt ....thanks PenDot!!!

I was thinking about using the self cleaning car wash and just using the rinse to remove the salt and grime.

I would appreciate any help.

thanks
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Use a pressure washer first to spray off as much as you can!

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^^ good option, or if you don't have a pressure washer, go to a touchless car wash and let it spray off the salt. It is also a good idea to go to one that offers a "undercarriage rinse". This will help spray the salt off under the car.

Then, take it home and give it some love.
    What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about???

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure that this is the best way but it works for me under similar conditions. I take my truck to the car wash and only use the rinse cycle at the drive through bay. I initially spray it down to get the salt off and then spray DP 4-in-1 (1.5:32 ) all around. Then go around again with the spray rinse. Of course the entire time I'm fighting ice build up but at least I'm getting all of the nasty salt off my truck. Then I go home and us DP 4-in-1 as a rinseless wash. Works like a charm. You can go through a touchless wash and get the undercarriage done, the only thing that I don't like about that is that the rest of the wash follows and I don't like all of those chemicals to go on my truck. I wish I could just the undercarriage wash only but that's not an option.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was at Wal*Mart today and saw a Karcher pressure washer (1500 psi) for only $96. I came SO close to buying it as I've read a lot of positive reviews on the unit.

I would highly recommend getting one, especially for the environment you live in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by P1et
    I was at Wal*Mart today and saw a Karcher pressure washer (1500 psi) for only $96. I came SO close to buying it as I've read a lot of positive reviews on the unit.

I would highly recommend getting one, especially for the environment you live in.
    Wow, that's a great price. Must be an older model because I know I've seen other 1500 Karcher's for around 130-140. The 1400 is only $87 and that's the one I'll be getting.

Road salt is pretty easy really. Doesn't take much for it to jsut rinse off.
    If you do go to a car wash, just do it yourself and only use the regular water to get most of the stuff off. Then wash it yourself with your supplies. Those car washes, especially the touchless, the soaps are very very harsh. Will wipe your LSP off like nothing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys......I was not planning on using the cash wash soap. I was thinking of picking up a pressure washer, but right now my hose bip is burried under snow.

Thanks Again

Ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blckbrd
    Thanks guys......I was not planning on using the cash wash soap. I was thinking of picking up a pressure washer, but right now my hose bip is burried under snow.

Thanks Again

Ken
    Mine is probably in the same place at my parents'. A certain relative feels if it isn't theirs, it's free game to abuse or whatever they want to do with/to it.
    "Now don't tell me you're the one they kept..."-Moe

"Naw, I'm the one they threw away."-Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    just wash your car the same way you would in the summer time. Make sure you spray the car down really well before you start using your wash mitt because there is probably alot of sand all over your car. I dont think you need a magic spray like a secret mixture of QD to water of anything like that.