autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

what to use to clean suede???

what to use to clean suede???

What is best to clean suede and condition? I have a set of integra type R seat in my civic just won't to kept them clean.

Mike Phillips

Re: what to use to clean suede???

Quote Originally Posted by BILLY_BLING View Post
    What is best to clean suede and condition? I have a set of integra type R seat in my civic just won't to kept them clean.
    Welcome to suede...

Do a search using the word suede as I think I saw someone post a successful method they used to the forum but don't remember where.

Usually you're limited to a vacumm and a lint brush as applying most cleaning liquids is going to alter how the suede looks.

Here's a website that discusses how to work on Alcantara, which I think is functionally like suede.

General washing instructions

Washing

Stain Removal

The stain removal link does a good job of breaking down stains into either Water-soluble stains or Non Water-soluble stains and the remedies.

Still doesn't read like it's easy and you have to be careful so anyone reading this thread and trying to remove stains out of Alcantara use your own judgment when following the instructions from the above website or any website.

Good luck...

Post Thanks / Like

think you so much Mr. Mike you always have an answer for my questions

Mike Phillips

***Bumpity Bump***

Decided to give this a blue clickable link to itself so anyone can share this thread quickly and easily in any other thread on the Internet...

Explained here....

How to share an article using a blue clickable link

opie_7afe

i wonder if steam would be a viable option for suede but fear it might mess up the fibers like it does to my microfiber towels i use over my steamer head.
    edit: just skimmed through the links mike posted they say not to use steam, well now i know!..

Post Thanks / Like

I see in the link it talks about lukewarm water, would an extractor with no soultion be a viable methond to clean say suede inserts in seats?

Post Thanks / Like

Here's my experience with my own car. Note I've never tested this other than on my own vehicle, so take this with a grain of salt.

My 2011 Charger R/T front seats are leather on the outer surfaces, with suede on the inside of the seat and the backrest.

I spritz just little Wolfgang Spot eliminator on the suede (just a light, quick spray, NOT too much,) and I let it sit for a min or two.

Then I use my Bissel little green machine with heated water only (no cleaners added to the LGM,) and I spray the hot water on the suede and and then immediately extract everything.

It works great and I got compliments from my family on how nice the interior looked and how nice it smells.

One thing I noticed the first time I did this; the water comes out of the end of the LGM and over-sprays a bit onto the leather. As soon as I'm done spraying water onto the suede I wipe down any excess water that got onto the leather. And I repeat after the extraction as some water still tends to get onto the leather.

I would of course suggest testing a small, out of the way spot first. I tested a small patch and it was OK so I moved on to the entire seats, but who knows, your fabric may respond very differently.

Also, I've never had terribly dirty seats to clean. Maybe a small spill of soda from my 7 year old son, etc. But generally my technique works for seats that are not very dirty to begin with. If you needed to do major clean up or extraction, you may need other methods.

Good luck!
    Our Lady Of Blessed Acceleration - Don't Fail Me Now.

Alex, from Northern Virginia.