autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Getting ready to buy a steamer.

I am getting ready to purchase a steamer, and would like some input from the autogeeks.

I would like to keep this as close to $600 as I can, but can put off purchasing a ptg to put more toward the steamer. I am part time at the moment, but pushing to grow. I am looking for a unit that will do engine bays, doorjambs, and interiors.

Is the dupray one enough to take on these tasks on a part time basis? Is there a big enough difference between it and the plus to justify the expense? Or is there a machine in the same price range that is better?

Just looking for some feedback from those who use these units, so I don't end up disappointed.

Thanks in advance!

B

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting ready to buy a steamer.

Almost 100 views, and no one has one of these? How bout the vx 5000? More than I wanted to spend, but seems like a unit that will do what I need it to............

Post Thanks / Like

I would get a VX 5000 or google Vapor Chief steamers. They look very comparable

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone has there preference on different tools and techniques which is cool.Ive been detailing since 1989 and I can tell you save the 600 dollars yes a steamer may help you in some situations like letter removal carpet stains etc.I can't get see how your gonna steam a dirty engine or do a interior ,let's say you have 4 hrs to detail a car for 150 to 180 your gonna waste so much time with that,get a good pressure washer effective products and invest in a hotwater extractor,don't get me wrong a steamer is effective but not to detail jams engine interior wheels ,keep it simple.

Post Thanks / Like

Just got a dupray one plus. I got it mostly for around the house. If u call dupray sometimes they have demo units for a discount with full warranty.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with GSKR. a pressure washer is what you want for door jambs, engines, etc. I really like my steamer for interiors. But you can use them on the exterior also. Whichever works best for your situation.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a pressure washer, but am hesitant to soak an engine on a newer car with it. 5% water vapor steam seems like it would be way less risky

Post Thanks / Like

you should stay a way from engines period. I don't mess with them at all,I can't tell you the last time I did one.The only decision I will make is to have a customer sign off that I will not be responsible.If you get the maf sensor or coil packs wet there goes your profit ,to much to cover up and a majority of customers don't pay extra for that service ,even if you charged a extra 120 not worth it.Steamer may be safe to do on a new car but it's to tedious and make sure you charge separate for engine cleaning or classic car engine detailing good luck on your new business congrats.

Post Thanks / Like

Most newer cars are mostly big pieces of plastic under the hood. I would be more worried about using a pressure washer on a older car. Just keep the tip a good distance away and you should be fine.

Steamers have 50-100 psi. They can force moisture into places also. Its totally up to you and what you feel comfortable doing.

Post Thanks / Like

correct anything over 60 to 70k mileage is a problem zone,Cadillacs are the worst.You are right about feeling comfortable ,you will get that gut feeling of yey or ney,I pass all the time the cost to fix the easiest problem will far exceed the profit on the detail that's just me,I worked at a mb dealer for 9 years and had my fair share of engine washing disasters,was working on a s430 got one of the sensors wet 3500 to fix we all learn from mistakes and hope people will listen,stay away from engines.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast