autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

heater for a freezing garage...recommendations?

hi all,

the freeze is coming. gonna work in an unheated 3 car garage this season...

any advice on heating device to keep warm?

thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: heater for a freezing garage...recommendations?

Well, I'll jump in here. Questions: where do you live? How cold will it get? How much do you want to spend? You have 3 car garage, and if you are in Toledo, you are going to need either a lot of kerosene or get something better. For years I used bullet industrial "tubo" heaters, and they worked, but the fumes get to you after a while. I had to really seal up the garage [at the time in the Chicago area] to keep heat in, as it was an detached garage. If it had been in the Carolinas?? been a LOT better. It might take 2-3 of those turbos to heat 3 car space...and cannot imagine electic heaters pulling that off--especially the radiant. BUT am not an heating engineer. I would imagine your electric bill would bring someone to the door checking on your usage.

This time, [for 2 car space] I just went for a professionally installed gas heater on the wall, all to code. And it was worth it all. Up to 85 in January in about 20 minutes from stone cold 20 degrees? It has to be turned down or off or I bake. Good luck with your choice..but do it safe, and right. Don't jury rig it just to save pennies.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zkeeper View Post
    This time, [for 2 car space] I just went for a professionally installed gas heater on the wall, all to code. And it was worth it all.
    Definitely what I would recommend. You could also use a 220-volt wall-mounted or standing garage heater. The install would be easier, but it also wouldn't be as powerful and your electric bill would be pretty high depending on how often you work in there.
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

I just use a kerosene heater that I've had for years and have kept in case the power goes out during an ice storm.

2010 Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

You have an outdoor grill with one of those small propane tanks? If you do you can buy a small propane heat element that bolts right on the tank. Much safer than Kero.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
    You have an outdoor grill with one of those small propane tanks? If you do you can buy a small propane heat element that bolts right on the tank. Much safer than Kero.
    I would go with this route as well. of course it never gets too cold here in San Diego but I still own a propane heater to keep people warm when I have a late night BBQ.

You should check out Northern Tool. I got a catalog awhile ago that is running a sale on heaters until Halloween. Maybe you can get some deals there.
    Roland

Post Thanks / Like

First, can you insulate your garage? Some fiberglass bats on the walls and even the ceiling will keep the garage warmer and make it a lot easier to heat, whatever the method.
    Mike at www.GreatReflections.biz
    Vancouver, WA's convenient Mobile Detailer comes to you!

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for all the input so far guys. i'm gonna look into each of your suggestions.

we get midwest freeze your butt off weather here. im pretty sure my garage is insulated. it has drywall, so i have to figure out a way to see if there are insulation batts behind them (anyone know how?)

I like the idea of having something professionally installed, but concerned that will cost quite a bit of coin. i'll check out NT catalog and also the suggestion for a propane heater.

love this forum.

Post Thanks / Like

My buddy has a heated garage, he has his hooked up to the natural gas used in the rest of his house. Bad thing, you need a fan of some kind to circulate the air, or as he discovered, the floor is still way too cold.

Post Thanks / Like

I have one of these and it works quite well in my less that "tight" single car, doesn't take long before I'm turning it down or off completely.

ProTemp Portable Propane Forced Air Heater (40K) at Blain's Farm & Fleet
    Dave
    '00 Tropic Green SVT Contour \ #905 of 2150,
    '06 Grand Caravan SXT

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast