autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Flex 3401 is Frozen with the BP Plate attached.

I take the BP plate off and the motor spins just fine. I put the backing plate back on and the motor engages. but the plate doesn't budge. I have clearance all the way around. What is baffling to me, is what is supposed to move. Is the inner ring supposed to spin? Mine is frozen and that may be it. But not sure.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex 3401 is Frozen with the BP Plate attached.

Do you have the LC plate system for it also? Kind of a long shot, but that screw is longer. I'm not sure if that would cause the problem or now. Using the LC plate without the adapter plate might, but I don't think you would have plenty of clearance if that were the case. Did it seize up while running or you went to use it and it wouldn't go?
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    Do you have the LC plate system for it also? Kind of a long shot, but that screw is longer. I'm not sure if that would cause the problem or now. Using the LC plate without the adapter plate might, but I don't think you would have plenty of clearance if that were the case. Did it seize up while running or you went to use it and it wouldn't go?
    Don't have the LC Plate. Looking at the "system" it appears as though the Flex Ring that is inside the 3401 should spin. You drop the backplate in and it lines up with the flex ring. My flex ring does not budge and I suspect that is the issue, but can't tell.

Mike Phillips

You're positive the backing plate is seating properly against the rectangular spindle?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the backing plate's is aligned with the rectangle. When I press the trigger I can hear it trying to spin, but it just freezes as though something is holding it back. What is baffling to me, is the motor spins with no plate, as soon as I bolt on the BP it freezes. My first guess was the flex ring gear that the BP engages is frozen, but cannot find anyplace where it says it is supposed to move. If it doesn't then what is it's purpose?

Post Thanks / Like

the outside ring doesn't turn. As the backing plate turns from the center it runs in the gears around the outside. How old is the machine? The felt ring looks pretty new. The center piece around the bolt hole looks like it's seen some excessive heat though. Hard to tell in the picture, but it looks like the steel in the center has a bluish tint. It also looks like it may have some melted plastic around the rectangle seating area. Does the steel have a blue tint or is that dirt or oil on it?
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Mike Phillips

Is the Lock Button on the top of the head of the tool in the down or "locked" position?

As in somehow it jammed?

That's what I would look for because that's what it sounds like. The lock button is to lock up the gears to hold everything in place while you loosen or tighten the backing plate bolt.

Post Thanks / Like

I am so sorry I have not responded, the shop has gotten incredibly busy, even with all the rain we have here in Northern CA.. I discovered I have a bent shaft, obviously one of my team dropped it. We loosened up the backing plate and you can see the shaft is on a tilt. When the backing plate is loose it will spin and but rub where the shaft is bent. Tightened down, and this is obvious it simply jams and won't rotate. I found a site that has parts, so I am ordering a new shaft.
    Thanks for everyone's help