autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What should my next tool be?

Side Note: Since I started using M101 I can't remember when the last time was I used M105.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
    I try to use only what is highly rated. In my arsenal:

Optimum hyper compound and polish
    Optimum compound II and polish II
    Pinnacle advanced swirl and advanced finishing polish
    Meguiars 105 compound, 205 polish and ScratchX
    Chemical Guys V 32, 34, 36, 38 and VSS
    Wolfgang Uber All in one
    CarPro Essence Plus

Pads:
    mostly Hex Logic and Buf n Shine

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    There's great products there for sure.

Those hex logic pads are made by Buff and Shine, so you're good there too.

Some Meguiar's D300 on their microfiber discs can really cut your time down. Follow with the M205 on a polishing pad (I like the blue), and you're set. They also offer an xtra cut disc for really stubborn defects. What I like about it, is that it was specifically designed for d/a, or random orbit tools.

That being said, the Flex 3401, and Rupes line of tools are excellent. I had a 3401, but because I was correcting faster with the PC, I sold it.

I do have a couple of Rupes polishers (Duetto/Mini), with their polishes and pads - absolutely love them. There is a slight learning curve, but once you get past that point, you'll be fine. I can't speak to the Griot's line, but so far they've been getting rave reviews.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post

Some Meguiar's D300 on their microfiber discs can really cut your time down. Follow with the M205 on a polishing pad (I like the blue), and you're set. They also offer an xtra cut disc for really stubborn defects. What I like about it, is that it was specifically designed for d/a, or random orbit tools.

That being said, the Flex 3401, and Rupes line of tools are excellent. I had a 3401, but because I was correcting faster with the PC, I sold it. PC=Porter Cable..faster than a 3401??

I do have a couple of Rupes polishers (Duetto/Mini), with their polishes and pads - absolutely love them. There is a slight learning curve, but once you get past that point, you'll be fine. I can't speak to the Griot's line, but so far they've been getting rave reviews.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post

That being said, the Flex 3401, and Rupes line of tools are excellent. I had a 3401, but because I was correcting faster with the PC, I sold it.

Interesting. I guess before I buy a new machine I should practice with microfiber fads and the PC. Cool! Thanks!

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

With the new MF pads,Flash pads,Thin Pro's etc the PC can outcut a 3401 with Hybrids. The PC without loud has higher opm than the 3401(4800 opm) vs PC(6500 opm). Thats why some members are getting faster correction with a PC over the 3401. Now use those same pads on the new technology Rupes and the cut is insane.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zubair View Post
    With the new MF pads,Flash pads,Thin Pro's etc the PC can outcut a 3401 with Hybrids. The PC without loud has higher opm than the 3401(4800 opm) vs PC(6500 opm). That's the problem..without load, can you cut without load? Dunno never compared the 3401 with wool pads compared to a PC with flash pads.Thats why some members are getting faster correction with a PC over the 3401. Now use those same pads on the new technology Rupes and the cut is insane.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
    I am a part time detailer. During the warm months I detail 6-15 cars per month. I also have a nice car ('16 Camaro) and 2 beaters. The beaters need a lot of correction.

I have a PC7424XP and a Cyclo Pro 5. I have 5", 3", and 2" rotary buffer plates for the PC. I feel like I have mastered those tools.

Which tool would you recommend for me next? Forced orbital? Rotary? Flex, Rupes,

My goals would be faster correction, professional results, and learning new techniques. Price is not really a factor. Good tools cost what they cost.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    I have been experimenting with the Rupes Nano and I would recommend it as "next tool".

It has so many applications I can't begin to list them here.

Main tool I like is the 1" rotary with both blue compound and yellow polish.

They both sling (blue more than yellow), but good results.

Have not used the DA tools much as most of my trials have been on small curved areas.

Today wet sanded 1500 grit some newly painted hubcaps.

They had quite a bit of fine orange peel from rattle can clear coat application by yours truly.

Did one spoke at a time (5 total) and really impressed.

Totally removed the the sanding marks with the blue pad and blue compound.

Did the yellow pad with yellow polish just to see and it even refined it more.

Sure it takes a long time and would not be practical for production detailing, but it gives great results.
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post

Yep. Every time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zubair View Post
    With the new MF pads,Flash pads,Thin Pro's etc the PC can outcut a 3401 with Hybrids. The PC without loud has higher opm than the 3401(4800 opm) vs PC(6500 opm). Thats why some members are getting faster correction with a PC over the 3401. Now use those same pads on the new technology Rupes and the cut is insane.
    Kevin Brown stated the even the 1st Gen 7424 under load was faster.

Honestly, my pads tend to load up before I can complete my buffing cycle sometimes. It's pretty frustrating.

Check out post #2.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...ex-3401-a.html

Post Thanks / Like

Can someone recommend a paint thickness gauge? Thanks for all the responses!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast