autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pondering the Rupes LHR 12E Duetto...

Does Rupes even need a warranty? I very rarely hear any complaints about them failing.

I only have a Duetto and do not use their pads or polishes, but have been considering using the Boss Creams and pads with it. For some reason I'm not really interested in using the Rupes system as a whole.

Post Thanks / Like

^ no tool is bulletproof and anything can happen at anytime. warranties are a piece of mind especially when you take in consideration how expensive a tool ($300+) can be as well as how often you may use it (maybe a few times a year). i also take in consideration of the companies reputation and customer service as well. i like to give my hard earned money to honest people that deserve it. everyone has that choice and to each his or her own. to the OP, good luck with your choice!

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    If stalling is any concern to you, any free spinning random orbital has the potential to stall, in which case you might want to take a serious look at the Flex 3401.
    as it's name implies, it's a beast (powers right through) and has had a proven track record (close to 10 years or so) with it's tank like build quality and performance (they've had a repair facility here in the states (NE) almost from the beginning). it only stops when you want it to....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    has had a proven track record (close to 10 years or so) with it's tank like build quality and performance (they've had a repair facility here in the states (NE) almost from the beginning). it only stops when you want it to....
    Rupes has been in business manufacturing quality tools for 70 yrs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Rupes has been in business manufacturing quality tools for 70 yrs.
    was talking about the polisher not the companies history...

Post Thanks / Like

Pondering the Rupes LHR 12E Duetto...

was talking about the polisher not the companies history...
    My grandpa had an 8mm Rupes "Foot" back in the days. He would have to crank it on like a little lawnmower. No lie. Lol.

Post Thanks / Like

If you've decided to chose between the G15 and the MKII 15, get the MKII 15. TRUST ME. I had and sold the G15. It had no balls. The G21 has more torque than the G15, but that's just based on momentum of the larger throw, as they have the same size motor. The MKII polishers are clearly the best choice for long throws. Use a washer with any long throw you buy.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    If you've decided to chose between the G15 and the MKII 15,
    Kinda where I'm at...right now.

Not sure why but I *want* the Rupes over the G15...but have learned that sometimes my *wanting* overshadows the true best choice. "Know thyself...".

Comments like yours help remove the doubt...

So subjective...

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

just keep in mind that any DA that is not forced can/will stall on curved/contoured panels unless you adjust accordingly, pick the polisher that best suits your preferences on what you like about it...

Post Thanks / Like

just keep in mind that any DA that is not forced can/will stall on curved/contoured panels unless you adjust accordingly
    Yep, and sometimes, even with proper technique, it will still stall. You can't do anything about it. That's the nature of non-forced DA's.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

just keep in mind that any DA that is not forced can/will stall on curved/contoured panels unless you adjust accordingly, pick the polisher that best suits your preferences on what you like about it...
    Strangely enough, I kinda look forward to overcoming that obstacle through improved technique.

Having only been at this for 6-7 months with the GG6 I've concentrated on dark colored cars, the more neglected the better. Results, in my amateur opinion, have usually met my expectations and often exceeded them. Unfortunately it usually takes quite a bit of time and physical effort.

However I'm not yet anywhere near
    a high level. Hoping that a more advanced machine will force me into better habits. Pad stalled? Figure out why and adjust/modify/learn better techniques or find the best way to adapt or work around it.

I see some of these pros using machines, making them dance over the surface with amazing results...it's a craft, almost a performance if you will. The subtle dips and swings of the machine at the end of a single pass, the light touch as the pad/rotation does the work, the symmetrical, overlapping curves/circles of polish left in the path of the pad...all very ethereal but somehow mesmerizing.

Wierd...maybe... but since it's just a hobby I can chart my own course, set my own objectives.

Spent the last year throwing products at the situations to get the results...wanna spend next year adding technique to get better results...with a better machine. A chance to learn something new using a upper-level tool. Now that ive found a more defined set of product 'types' I like and am familiar with I'd like to upgrade the machine to use those products more effeciently to produce even better results...eventually.

Both the Rupes and BOSS 'systems' kinda take some of the product angle out of the equation so perhaps I can initially focus on technique and efficiency, bringing some of the other products into the mix once ive become somewhat proficient within the 'system'.

At this pace, maybe I'll have a clue in 2 to 3 more years. Pondering the Rupes LHR 12E Duetto...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast