autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: If you can only have one..

Flex 3401 and Hybrid Force Pads. This combination is amazing and has helped me tremendously, especially as a time saver. Well worth the initial cost. I kick myself daily for not having bit the bullet sooner than I did.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Flex 3401 along with Hybrid pads

Post Thanks / Like

Hope you're feeling better 72Malibu and up to experimenting with your new machine!

Post Thanks / Like

For an orbital I would choose the Flex 3401 with some sort of magical 4" backing plate that doesn't shatter. For a rotary I definitely would go with the Flex PE-8 - that thing is amazing!

I primary use the Flex 3401, Griot's Boss G15 and the Flex PE-8 and couldn't be happier with their performance (discounting the 4" Lake Country backing plate).

Post Thanks / Like

I am fairly new to the board, and own a PC. It gets the job done, but it does vibrate, and to do paint correction you must take your time. The ability to change backing plates makes this an extremely versatile machine, and even if I move on to a more advanced machine, the PC can still be used with smaller (3") pads dor tight areas, and I do use it with a very soft brush to clean up the vinyl top on my older car (at slowest speed).

I did see the Junkman's review of the Bosch 1250 DEVS. It is both a random orbital (free rotation spindle, like a PC) and a dual action (forced rotation, like a Flex 3401). It does seem to be the best of both worlds; random orbital or forced rotation at the flip of a switch. It does have a 6" only backing plate though, and I wonder how much replacement backing plates are. I've also never seen one used to detail a car, so it may or may not be suitable for car detailing. It is pretty powerful, at 6.5A. so about 780W. Up here in Canada, it goes for about $350-400. whereas the Flex 3401 is just over $600 The Bosch is obviously not a cheap knock off, and if anything, will have a better support network for parts and repairs, should it need any.

Anybody use one, or seen one being used to do car detailing?

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to see more answers to my OP, and thanks Puckman, I'm feelin' alot better. Drs are happy too. (He was able to get his wife a new car). Got to play with the PC today and did my wifes Acura MDX. I've detailed my own vehicles, friends and family for over 30yrs and have always gotten good results and high compliments, and I did that using products from WM or O'Reilly's. Meguiars and Mothers mainly with a few "cheapie" products for good measure. I was always skeptical of the products sold on Ag and elsewhere but was always curioius if they were worth the price or just over-priced. After watching "Competition Ready", I decided to bite this bullet, with guidance from ya'll. The PC came with Wolfgang products and I used all 3 today. I must say, I have never seen the Acura shine like that!!! I used to have stage 4 autodetailitus, now I believe it has gone to stage 5. Thanks to everyone. Now, if I can get off whatever the Acura "detailers" put on my trim last time it was in the shop. Again, thank you.
    IF IT DOESN'T SHINE, IT ISN'T MINE

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot to mention, I like the PC and since I have nothing to compare it to, I am extremely happy with my purchase. Though, throughout the forum there are remarks of it's vibration, I did not find it unreasonable.
    IF IT DOESN'T SHINE, IT ISN'T MINE

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Porter Cable 7424 XP (and a 72 Malibu as well), and LOVE it. It's been great learning on, very forgiving and yes, can take a bit longer to correct some issues. Come the spring, I'm considering adding a 3401 to the arsenal. I got the chance to use one at a local polishing class, and was very impressed. I see room, and uses for, both. I won't give up the PC. Love it too much.
    "All persons living or dead, are purely coincidental."
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Post Thanks / Like

If only 1 probably the GG6 or the PC. Cheaper and more options with different sizes of backplate and pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 72Malibu View Post
    New member, but have lurked here often and been polishing and detailing my own vehicles (as well as a few for friends and family), for 35 years. I've always detailed by hand, but I am looking at getting my first polisher.

I've seen the GG6 and 3401 seem to be popular choices, but I've also seen that they are paired with something else. I understand why one would have multiple polishers, but can we narrow the field? Basing your choice on using the polisher for personal use, and you can only have one, which would it be? And why?

Thank you and shine on.
    HF (the discount tool place ) DA polisher $ 60. Look on you tube and do the mods...very easy and effective. It's more than good enough and several pro's have them. I also have a GG6 so I have a 3 inch backing plate on one and a 5 inch on the other.

Pads.... I mostly have Lake Country flat pads. I have probably 10 Chemical Guys Hex Logic pads. They use a little more polish but are also very good.

I'm serious about the HF polisher... it's all you need.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.