autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Should I get two buffers?

I love Rupes machines but even my mk2 experiences pad stall

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice! Its almost overwhelming how many options there are as far as pads and compounds, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdqgp View Post
    you can use the traditional thicker pads from a DA on the 3401. I'm currently using the stock I have without issue.
    The 3401 is great for using up your thick 7" pads from back when that was what was available for your (original) PC and you don't know what to do with now.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Nick 93 View Post

I just did a youtube search and found the autogeek video on the Flex 3401. Looks to be very impressive.
    This one...

I will be doing some more research but so far I'm fairly convinced on this buffer. I'd rather invest in a good buffer to begin with than invest in something I do not like. I heard that DA buffers take different pads than rotary buffers; does the flex take both or is it one or the other?
    The FLEX 3401 can burn and turn all types of pads but in my opinion the best pads are the Lake Country Hybrid pads. You can use the 6.5" Hybrid pads with the FLEX 3401 right out of the box then later get the Lake Country 4" Backing Plate Adapter and then you can burn and turn Lake Country 5" Hybrid pads and even 4" pads if you're careful. There are tons of articles on all these topics here on Autogeek.

Also, there's a how-to book that explains everything you need to know about doing both show car detailing and production detailing using the FLEX 3401

Paperback

How to use the Flex 3401 for Show Car Detailing

Or ebook

The paperback book on the FLEX 3401 is now available as an e-book for fast easy download.

Only $14.95

Click this link to get your copy...

How to use the Flex XC3401 VRG Dual Action Orbital Polisher

My boat detailing book also puts a LOT of emphasis on using a FLEX 3401 for removing oxidation on gel-coat boats.

Paperback book - How To Detail Boats With Marine 31 by Mike Phillips

Also I had some more questions on pads. Usually I use a wool pad on deep scratches but I've seen other detailers that use only foam pads. Are some foam pads as good as cutting as the wool pads are? Can they take out scratches that are fairly deep?
    The rotary buffer with a wool pad and a quality compound will remove paint faster than any other tool.

That said, "yes" you can use a wool pad on a rotary buffer, here's a recent article I wrote specifically on this topic....

Almost as fast as a rotary buffer but a lot safer - What is it?

What is almost as fast as a rotary buffer but a lot safer to use?

The Flex 3401 with a wool pad!

So you want to do some major correction work huh? Remove years of neglect that has left millions of swirls, scratches, oxidation and water spots in the paint? Or, you're working on a gel-coat boat and you need to remove years of heavy oxidation?

Then get yourself a Flex 3401 and a Lake Country 7.5" Electrified Wool Polishing pad. No matter how hard you press against the Flex 3401 because it's a gear-driven orbital polisher there's nothing you can do that will stop the pad from both rotating and oscillating and that means you can do what I call,

Power through a detail

Then to increase the cutting speed and power, get a wool pad for your FLEX 3401.
    Even though they use the word polishing to describe the 7.5" Electrified White Sheepskin Final Polishing Pad - don't be fooled, it still cuts like a son-of-a-gun because it's a WOOL pad.

Fibers are a form of abrasive be they wool cutting or wool polishing pads.

Electrified?
    The word electrified means Lake Country has taken the extra step to electrify the wool which removes the natural sharp barbs found in wool creating a pad that cuts fast but finishes with less scouring of the paint. This is a real benefit when buffing thin, scratch-sensitive clearcoat finishes.

The FLEX 3401 with a wool pad

Before

After

Faster than any free spinning dual action polisher no matter what the shape of the panel or condition of the paint and safer than a rotary buffer.

On Autogeek.com

FLEX 3401 Dual Action Orbital Polisher

7.5" Electrified White Sheepskin Final Polishing Pad

Hope that helps...

Post Thanks / Like

/thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdqgp View Post
    ^^ this. I use a 3401 for most everything now and have a smaller Porter Cable 7424xp that is a dedicated 4" unit.
    This is what I have. I love the Flex XC3401 VRG. I got the HD version with the 25' cord. It saves on having to use extension cords.
    AZ Mike aka "Repeat"

Post Thanks / Like

I had a DA and just recently bought a Flex 3401. The Flex does everything! I sold my DA to a friend and will never look back. I've done 4 vehicles with it now and love it more and more each time I use it. Not to mention it is shaving time off of my detail jobs!!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Once you start gearing up you will find that 2 might not even be enough.

Having a DA and a rotary is a great start. You will probably want a 3rd polished fitted with a smaller backplate to do small areas as well. Of course you could switch the backplate on one of your polishers but personally I find the time that takes to do really annoying so I prefer to have a 3rd polisher dedicated to that.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again everyone for the advice! This forum is incredibly helpful. Hopefully only one buffer will do for now as they are a bit expensive. Eventually I will probably invest in another though. So far I'm pretty sold on the Flex 3401 and now just looking for a good pad and product combo to use. So far looking to go this route as it has the pads I want and the products seem good Wolfgang FLEX XC3401 Ultimate Polishing Kit

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again everyone for the advice! This forum is incredibly helpful. Hopefully only one buffer will do for now as they are a bit expensive. Eventually I will probably invest in another though. So far I'm pretty sold on the Flex 3401 and now just looking for a good pad and product combo to use. So far looking to go this route as it has the pads I want and the products seem good Wolfgang FLEX XC3401 Ultimate Polishing Kit
    Can't go wrong with the Flex. For pads, just make sure not to purchase flat pads. They will make the machine walk on you and it's very annoying.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast