autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Pad Washer Review

I saw the Pad Washer in use at the Autogeek booth at the SEMA show this year. It seemed like anybody demonstrating polishing products had one at their booth. Autogeek had one at their booth too and I got to hear the inventors of the product talk about it a lot. So I decided it was worth giving it a shot. Holy cow!! Why didn't I get one of these sooner??? This is an absolutely awesome device that is a must have for anyone who uses a machine to polish their vehicles.

The product actually serves multiple purposes. It is a pad washer, pad dryer, wash bucket, and grit guard all in one. If you take out the center device that elevates the grit guard above the water level then it is a great wash bucket. Put the grit guard in the bottom and you get the added benefit of being able to scrub your mitt before going back to the car to keep washing. And we all know how much of a pain it is to wash out your pad and go back to polishing with it still damp. Spinning it on the highest setting will still only get so much of the water out. So this product is really a very versitile and useful purchase.

I let my son do the initial inspection and test fitting of everything. It got a big thumbs up from him. The thing I was really curious about is how intuitive this product was. If a 5 year old can figure out how to put it together and understands how to use it, then I am pretty sure anybody will be able to figure it out.

After we got it put together and understood the rules, I put it to the test. It is the end of my detailing season and I had a lot of pads to wash. I rounded up as many as I could find and got ready to clean them. I think I might have missed a few in the garage somewhere... I could have sworn I had a couple more blue ones.

I did learn something interesting through this little experiment. I picked up my Porter Cable 7424 first to do the job, but I think the Flex 3401 is a little better at getting them clean. The entire motion of the Flex is gear driven and the pad doesn't stop spinning just because you put a little pressure on it. I cleaned a couple with the PC, but then I used the Flex for the rest.

I started at 20 after the hour and I put the last pad back on the shelf at a quarter till. It took me maybe 30 minutes tops to wash and dry every one of these pads. And that is considering I had to switch from the Edge 2000 adapter backing plate on the Flex to the velcro one halfway through.

After I poured out the water there was quite a bit of... something left in the bottom of the bucket.

I would say that is just proof that it works! Every one of those pads had been sprayed out, so this is also proof that spraying a pad cleaner and hosing them off isn't enough to get them clean. If you value your pads and want them clean then this is a must have product! Even if you don't care that much about your pads, if you hate polishing with wet pads and the resulting mess that they cause, then you still need to get one of these. It is a new must have recomendation for OCDetails.com for sure!
    .....www.OCDetails.com.....
    Obessive Compulsive Details
    a.k.a. Jngrbrdman

Copyright © OCDetails.com All Rights Reserved

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pad Washer Review

Looks like i am going to have to get one of these.
    No more supercharger,i now have twin turbo,s.

Post Thanks / Like

I think everybody should get one of these. I mean, 30 minutes to effectively clean and dry over 30 pads is impressive. Some of them may still be stained from the nasty vehicles I've used them on, but there isn't any polish or paint left in the foam itself. The Edge pads don't dry as easily as the velcro ones do, but those are all very dry pads as well.
    a.k.a. Jngrbrdman

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a difference between this one and the other pad washer i think that LC has out...

Al

Post Thanks / Like

The LC version is very very different. I'd be afraid that one would chew up the pads if the gears got caught. What I find interesting is the video on their website says there are minimal moving parts, and yet there are eight toothed wheels and a large rotating gear that all have to have free spinning motion in order for it to work. The Grit Guard Pad Washer has no moving parts period. Well, unless you consider the springs under the cups that hold the Grit Guard above water. The other thing that is nice about the Grit Guard version is the ability to push it back down for more water if you need to scrub it really well. The LC version is rigid and not adjustible unless you break out the screw driver. Both washers are fully assembled when you get it out of the box, but only the Grit Guard washer is tool free use. Before I got this one I considered the LC pad washer and did a little research on it. The thing that really sold me was that half a dozen booths at the 2008 SEMA show were using the Grit Guard washer and they had also done the same research. I spoke to many people who had also done the research and the opinion of everybody who had compared the two was that the Grit Guard Universal Pad Washer was the winner. I try to stick with products that have informed and objective people using them and refering them to others.
    a.k.a. Jngrbrdman

Post Thanks / Like

I agree it is a great tool to have.I purchased mine over the summer after comparing the 2. I liked it because of no moving parts to wear and that it can be used with any of my machines.I'm really happy with that decision.It is a must have tool for those that machine polish regularly.
    Ron !!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a LC Pad Washer and after seeing this Review i will buy the Grit Guard Universal Pad Washer instead !

The LC Pad Washer is a great product only problem that it will eventually wear your pads out ! That's just my IMHO !

Post Thanks / Like

That's how I felt about it! It is one of those products that after seeing it in action you just seem to forget about anything else out there. Simply put, this is the kind of tool a detailer would have designed. It doubles as a bucket so that you don't have to haul one of those with you and it gets your pads clean as well as not wrecking them in the process. Great tool!
    a.k.a. Jngrbrdman

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks OCDetails !

Must get one !

Post Thanks / Like

And i have had this LC Pad Washer since 2001 and it's starting to fall apart !

I does a great job in cleaning but wears pads out quicker than you can blink an eye !

I emailed LC about this problem and all they had to say was it was probably my polishing technique ! Now with over fourteen years in the detailing business he's trying to tell me it's my polishing technique ! What a joke !

I polish top end sports exotics and this guy's now try to teach me how to polish ! That i call poor customer service ! I love there pads but there Pad Washer leaves much to be desired ! Just my 2 cents worth !

Regards Mario

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast