autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Off-Label: Rinseless with CG Synthetic Detailer

Out of curiosity, I've been playing around with different detail sprays as alternatives to dedicated products. As a hobbyist, I don't mind experimenting, and quite enjoy mixing products together to see what sort of results they would yield. Some were duds, while others were surprisingly good/great. The latest experimentation is using CG Synthetic Quick Detailer as a rinseless.

Theoretically speaking; using a detail spray to clean finger prints & light dust/build up is technically doing a waterless. Add soaked towels to the mix and you'd get a hybrid rinseless (as many other, including myself, are doing).

Solution: 1 oz CG SQD to 1 gal of filtered water. 16 oz CG SQD as pretreat.

Paint: 8 rolled edge washing microfibers, 1 damp drying towel, 1 buffing towel.

Glass: 1 damp glass towel + 1 dry glass towel (final buff).

Wheels: 1 dry 700 gsm.

The following morning (after a 20 mile freeway round trip). Still relatively dust-free, considering it's been sitting a whole day prior + all the pollen floating around:

The above is my favorite 'test spot.' It's pretty much at eye-level, convenient reflection; easy to catch/spot marring.

Observation:

The solution itself doesn't feel very slippery. I was a bit nervous, to tell the truth. From the slickness scale of 1 to 10, it's a 7. Not exactly confidence-inspiring. Once pretreated and a soaked towel touches the paint, however, it feels on par with UWW+ rinseless. Also, straight CGSQD might be too strong of a pretreat. I could see dried streaks if not work quickly. Once buff they disappeared. I would probably cut the product 1:1 on my next go round.

As a quick wheel touch up/wipedown, this thing is quite impressive. The way it attacks the break dust would make you think it's some sort of an APC. Spray. Wipe. Shine.

Drying:

Initially it felt a little grabby. Once the liquid is wicked away, it flashes dry quickly & quite slippery - reminiscence of D114 drying stage. Pat drying is might be preferable here.

Conclusion:

Not 100% sure if I would use this exclusively as a waterless, but so far I really like the results I'm seeing. If anything it's nice to know that it could handle the job & in case of an emergency. I wouldn't have a problem rotating it with my other rinseless products. Smells nice - that of grape punch/Fanta. It leaves a beautiful candy-like shine, and smooth to the touch comparable to Prima Hydro (another excellent product).

Thanks for reading, and I welcome criticisms.

ps
    LSP is a two month old 4* UPP. Almost time for another layer.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Off-Label: Rinseless with CG Synthetic Detailer

Nice work. Seeing as it didn't mar that CGM Subie paint, I'm sure it would be safe on most anything else.
    On side note, I'm still lovin the V7/BSD!

Post Thanks / Like

Superior job well done on both the detail and using/finding new potentials within the products you have

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    Nice work. Seeing as it didn't mar that CGM Subie paint, I'm sure it would be safe on most anything else.
    On side note, I'm still lovin the V7/BSD!
    Thank you! Yes, these Subie paint are something else. Sneeze and you'll scratch it. Stare at it too long and there goes a dent. lol

An awesome mixture, isn't it? I can't take credit for it. A huge thank you to Loach for the suggestion. And I was ready to put BSD in the dark corner under the sink, too.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesboyy View Post
    Superior job well done on both the detail and using/finding new potentials within the products you have
    Thank you for the kind words! As a hobbyist, my skills are no where near many here. I don't mind trying new stuff, taking some risks. It simply give me an excuse to bust out the PC and put more seat time in should I goofed.

Forgot to put this one in - used towels and 1 gal bucket (ok, tupperware). Very handy for GD method; easy to haul around. I dunked two/three towels in at a time as I work around the vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like

It started sprinkling as soon as I pulled out of the garage last evening, so I backed up and took advantage of the situation; snapped a few shots of the beading.

Post Thanks / Like

Off topic

I see you have upgraded to Brembo calipers. Did you do anything to improve the soft pedal feel?

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool idea. Thanks for sharing. Subie looks great

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blkSRT View Post
    Off topic

I see you have upgraded to Brembo calipers. Did you do anything to improve the soft pedal feel?
    I have a Cusco master cylinder brace & stainless steel braided lines before upgrading to Brembos. Pain in the butt having to deal with the air pump (emission) during the install. To be honest, I did not notice any difference with the brace. The lines, however, are worth the time & effort over soft OEM. Much better feel, along with ATE Super Blue. The next upgrade is an STi brake booster. If I could do it all over again I would do the booster + lines together and maybe the brace.

Quote Originally Posted by haris300 View Post
    Very cool idea. Thanks for sharing. Subie looks great
    Thank you! It's my DD, and as I see it - my best friend. Got to treat your best friend with kindness.

This is actually a third off-label rinseless experiment for me. The two prior were 3D Final Touch and Meg's Last Touch. Both came out well, but I think CG's is a lot glossier and better at beading.

Post Thanks / Like

Like your style with the XT and with the thought you put into the mods.

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice shots and nice write up, nice beading shots, always nice to see a properly protected car while it's drizzling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast