autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3D/HD Compounds/Polishes clarification

Quote Originally Posted by hdez View Post
    AFAIK, their new formula just prevent dusting on some scenarios where people were getting it, their cut/gloss abilities remains the same.
    This is true.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think anyone answered this guy's original question, which I'm also interested in hearing. What's the difference between HD Cut+/Polish+, 3D Ultra Compound/Polish, and AAT Rubbing Compound/Finishing Polish and why would you use one over the other?
    2005 Honda S2000 | 2008 Acura MDX | 2015 Honda Fit EX

Post Thanks / Like

different formulas, perhaps. This is certainly the case with the AAT stuff, as it's their newest offerings.

Check out their (3d/HD) channel on YouTube. I'm pretty sure I've seen them cover those different combos

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post
    I don't think anyone answered this guy's original question, which I'm also interested in hearing. What's the difference between HD Cut+/Polish+, 3D Ultra Compound/Polish, and AAT Rubbing Compound/Finishing Polish and why would you use one over the other?
    I used to have a catalog but tossed it in the garbage and from what I recall from a banner on the catalog was seeing this in reference to the correction of their polishes.

HD Cut+/Polish+ = Fast

3D Comp./Polish = Faster

AAT Comp./Polish = Fastest

AAT is also aimed at the body shop and HD is aimed at the detailer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I used to have a catalog but tossed it in the garbage and from what I recall from a banner on the catalog was seeing this in reference to the correction of their polishes.

HD Cut+/Polish+ = Fast

3D Comp./Polish = Faster

Guz answered everything accurately and is right about AAT being FASTEST and is aimed at body shop/fresh paint, where HD has longer work times, easier to use, and is more geared towards detailers. All 3 lines of abrasives are body shop safe as well as fresh paint safe.

While the information above is correct, 3D ultra compound and ultra polish are flip-flopped with HD Cut+ and Polish+. 3d ultra compound/polish is FAST and is the lowest priced abrasives 3D international produces and is meant to compete as a competitively priced abrasive geared toward production body shops. The 3D ultra abrasives have a longer work time, less abrasive load, and are heavily lubricated so they tend to preform best on gel coat due to the extra lubricants in the polishes.

HD cut+ and Polish+ are what 3D says is FASTER. I have used every polish and compound 3D international has developed and have gone through AT LEAST 32 ounces of each, including 3D ultra(Fast) and AAT(Fastest). But I can honestly say that the HD line is the best of both worlds and provides both the ease of use and long work times of the 3D ultra line AS WELL as the correction power of the AAT line. I truly believe that if you need a compound heavier than HD Cut+ you would be better off using a compound from a different brand entirely. For me, every polish 3D international makes is incredible. But they just do not have a compound with the cutting ability of compounds like M100, M101, or Menzerna SHC 300.

Hope the helped!!!

3D Ultra=Fast
    HD=Faster
    AAT=Fastest

Post Thanks / Like

HD Cut+/Polish+ = Fast

3D Comp./Polish = Faster

Quote Originally Posted by mwoywod View Post
    Guz answered everything accurately and is right about AAT being FASTEST and is aimed at body shop/fresh paint, where HD has longer work times, easier to use, and is more geared towards detailers. All 3 lines of abrasives are body shop safe as well as fresh paint safe.

While the information above is correct, 3D ultra compound and ultra polish are flip-flopped with HD Cut+ and Polish+. 3d ultra compound/polish is FAST and is the lowest priced abrasives 3D international produces and is meant to compete as a competitively priced abrasive geared toward production body shops. The 3D ultra abrasives have a longer work time, less abrasive load, and are heavily lubricated so they tend to preform best on gel coat due to the extra lubricants in the polishes.

HD cut+ and Polish+ are what 3D says is FASTER. I have used every polish and compound 3D international has developed and have gone through AT LEAST 32 ounces of each, including 3D ultra(Fast) and AAT(Fastest). But I can honestly say that the HD line is the best of both worlds and provides both the ease of use and long work times of the 3D ultra line AS WELL as the correction power of the AAT line. I truly believe that if you need a compound heavier than HD Cut+ you would be better off using a compound from a different brand entirely. For me, every polish 3D international makes is incredible. But they just do not have a compound with the cutting ability of compounds like M100, M101, or Menzerna SHC 300.

Hope the helped!!!

3D Ultra=Fast
    HD=Faster
    AAT=Fastest
    Excellent, guys! I have gotten wildly misleading information on these products when they've been compared and this seems to set the record straight with me.

I was wondering because I'm currently looking for an alternative to M105 which I've used forever. Extremely fast cut and great results, but everyone knows the removal problems with it and I'm just at my wit's end on dealing with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post
    Excellent, guys! I have gotten wildly misleading information on these products when they've been compared and this seems to set the record straight with me.

I was wondering because I'm currently looking for an alternative to M105 which I've used forever. Extremely fast cut and great results, but everyone knows the removal problems with it and I'm just at my wit's end on dealing with it.
    Have you considered M101 seeing as you are familiar with M105.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, definitely m101 is the best but m100 is even cheaper than m105 and 90% as good as m101. I love m101, just wish i could buy it by the gallon.

Post Thanks / Like

I have. My biggest problem is I've read countless things about M100, M101, and M105 and there's nothing consistent about that info. I don't like using something unless I have a good idea about the product.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hdez View Post
    I'm looking for a compound/polish combo to do my headlights restorations and I'm planning to get the 3D/HD products since I've been using HD Adapt and HD Speed with great results on paint, but I don't want them to use them in the headlights since HD Speed has sealant (HD Poxy) and I want to use a different LSP on the headlight (DLux).

After researching 3D/HD products I found these:

Combo 1:
    • HD Cut or HD Cut+ ($32 for 32oz)
    • HD Polish or HD Polish+ ($32 for 32oz)
    • Notes: Their most commercial combo

Combo 2:
    • 3D Ultra Compound ($25 for 32oz)
    • 3D Ultra Polish ($25 for 32oz)
    • Notes: Not sure what is the difference between this and the combo 1, just that they are cheaper.

Combo 3:
    • AAT Rubbing Compound ($50 for 32oz)
    • AAT Finishing Polish ($50 for 32oz)
    • Notes: Adaptive Abrasive Technology that allows perform faster. I've read that this is mostly for body shops that do paint leveling correction on fresh paint. That could be the reasong for the high price.

I'm looking for the best combo that gives me the best result on the headlights, since the plastic material is different from the clear coat, maybe something more abrasive will work best.

Also, has anyone has experience using MF on the headlights? Or is it better the foam pads.

Thanks
    32oz the smallest u can get? why not get something made for headlights?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast