autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: First DA to Apply Wax

Quote Originally Posted by kwwhite1 View Post
    I started with a Harbor Freight DA and with a 20% off coupon that can always be found online ended up costing me less than fifty bucks. It has lasted me several years with no issues. Just a backup idea to the gg6.
    Blah blah blah Harbor Freight. Please try to be loyal to the people who bring us this forum. W/O AG we wouldn't have this forum.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

So this weekend I used the new GG6 on my wife’s White Journey. I used it to put a layer of 845 on it. It was so much easier, went on thinner and looked much better (At least to me it did). It did take a little getting used to but I felt much more comfortable halfway through the car. I wanted to post pictures but I was running late, the holiday, and it rained today when we were out...

So I am planning on tackling my car next (Black Challenger). I am building the courage and was going to use the Pinnacle Cleansing lotion then 845 as suggested and was talking to someone at a party who has a black Camaro SS. We talked detailing for a while. He had done a full correction last year and now this year used Poor Boys Black hole glaze before waxing and said it was the best thing he has used. Said it was not perfect but "hid" 80-90% of the minor swirls then coated after.

Has anyone used PB Black Hole Glaze. I was wondering if it would be a different intermediate step before I take on a correction. My plan would be to wash, clay, iron X, Poor Boys Glaze, then 845.

Last question....I searched for a while but I am assuming I don’t have to tape any edges for fear of burning when applying these two products. I assume that is only when using a pad or product that has cut?

Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kwwhite1 View Post
    I started with a Harbor Freight DA and with a 20% off coupon that can always be found online ended up costing me less than fifty bucks. It has lasted me several years with no issues. Just a backup idea to the gg6.

And Harbor Freight sponsors this forum? Oh that's right, it's sponsored by Autogeek.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jakesxt View Post
    So this weekend I used the new GG6 on my wife’s White Journey. I used it to put a layer of 845 on it. It was so much easier, went on thinner and looked much better (At least to me it did). It did take a little getting used to but I felt much more comfortable halfway through the car. I wanted to post pictures but I was running late, the holiday, and it rained today when we were out...

So I am planning on tackling my car next (Black Challenger). I am building the courage and was going to use the Pinnacle Cleansing lotion then 845 as suggested and was talking to someone at a party who has a black Camaro SS. We talked detailing for a while. He had done a full correction last year and now this year used Poor Boys Black hole glaze before waxing and said it was the best thing he has used. Said it was not perfect but "hid" 80-90% of the minor swirls then coated after.

Has anyone used PB Black Hole Glaze. I was wondering if it would be a different intermediate step before I take on a correction. My plan would be to wash, clay, iron X, Poor Boys Glaze, then 845.

Last question....I searched for a while but I am assuming I don’t have to tape any edges for fear of burning when applying these two products. I assume that is only when using a pad or product that has cut?

Thanks in advance!
    OK, another question I added the Lake Country 5 inch backing plate to my cart and was going to add pads. Just not sure which ones. To apply 845 and potentially the Black Hole, would I use Blue? Black? I used a 6 inch red GG which worked with the 845 but if I am placing an order I might as well add on

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jakesxt View Post
    OK, another question I added the Lake Country 5 inch backing plate to my cart and was going to add pads. Just not sure which ones. To apply 845 and potentially the Black Hole, would I use Blue? Black? I used a 6 inch red GG which worked with the 845 but if I am placing an order I might as well add on

I use the 5.5/6" pads from Megs and for applying the 845, I use the yellow polishing pad. It doesn't collapse with the "weight" of the wax like some 'finishing' pads do (won't mention the brand) and spreads it very evenly and THIN. All I used on my black Camaro is Megs Ultimate Compound and Collinite 845 and it looks great.

GO HERE TO SEE THE PICS
    VVV

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=445958

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don M View Post
    I use the 5.5/6" pads from Megs and for applying the 845, I use the yellow polishing pad. It doesn't collapse with the "weight" of the wax like some 'finishing' pads do (won't mention the brand) and spreads it very evenly and THIN. All I used on my black Camaro is Megs Ultimate Compound and Collinite 845 and it looks great.

GO HERE TO SEE THE PICS
    VVV

!st wash after compounding & waxing - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
    If you get a chance (and money) you should try 915. I would like to know your thoughts between 845 and 915.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davidc View Post
    If you get a chance (and money) you should try 915. I would like to know your thoughts between 845 and 915.

Dave
    I have the 476s, but on other cars I have found it too difficult to apply. Now that I have a black car, I'll try heating it up a bit to soften it and try it again since on black I can now see the ultra thin layers of applied wax. I only use a wax for protection & durability, I get all the appearance improvements from polishing. Once my car is polished out, you can't tell the difference if it's a $200 wax or Turtle Wax on the surface, it all looks good

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don M View Post
    I have the 476s, but on other cars I have found it too difficult to apply. Now that I have a black car, I'll try heating it up a bit to soften it and try it again since on black I can now see the ultra thin layers of applied wax. I only use a wax for protection & durability, I get all the appearance improvements from polishing. Once my car is polished out, you can't tell the difference if it's a $200 wax or Turtle Wax on the surface, it all looks good
    476S is 845 on steroids. I have used 915 on light colored vehicles and it did tend to darken those colors which it was designed to do. Using 915 on a dark color would then supposedly make that color a show stopper, that is why I mentioned trying it on the Camaro. The 915 to me seems a little creamier than 476S thus easier to apply although I personally have not had a problem with any Collinite products.

Dave

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I am finally getting around to posting pictures of my work. Ended up with the following:

GG6 6.5" Red Pad
    Griots Clay
    Blackhole Glaze
    Collonite (x2)

I think it turned out good. Hid a lot of swirls while I get used to using the machine. I applied the wax using from a 1-2 on the dial. At times it seemed hard to keep the pad rotating. Should I use a higher speed to apply the wax?

Thanks to all that took the time to reply and help a newbie.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First DA to Apply Wax-hood-jpg   First DA to Apply Wax-side-2-jpg   First DA to Apply Wax-side-3-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

I would use a 3 - 3.5 to apply wax, because when you're APPLYING WAX, you don't need the pad to rotate, just jiggle. All you're trying to do is evenly spread the wax, not correct anything.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast