autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Using rinseless and waterless washes together.

I always have a spray bottle of D114 handy. I not only use it as a pre soak for rinseless, but also after the initial hose rinse of a 2BW. If I see any bird bombs, spots, or heavy dirt [especially around the rocker panels] I give those areas a quik stream of D114 before I begin washing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trippster View Post
    I like the idea of saving time and effort in washing my cars but am hesitant to abandon the two bucket and go strictly waterless or rinseless due to seeming to be easier to induce scratches. Just curious if any of you guys have tried using rinseless washes (like ONR) and spray on types together. Seems to me that this would add more lubricity to the surface that would help in preventing scratches. Thanks for any feedback.
    I've been doing a modified version of a rinseless wash for several weeks on both our vehicles. Both are black and I'm about as OCD to scratches as anyone. Works great and there have been no resulting scratches or marring. Not even micro marring.

IMO the key is using the correct towels and technique. Here's my thoughts and process:

• Fill a garden or powered Sprayer of your choice with ONR Solution
    • Fill a 3 gal bucket with about 1 gal. of ONR Solution
    • Insure I have a stack of 16" x 16" Eagle Edgeless Blue Professional Super Plush 480gsm Microfiber Detailing Towels.

On my 4 door sedan the large plush towels go quite far. I use anywhere between 6-8 for the entire car. Key is to fold them into four then make one more fold so that you can get a total of 16 completely clean/fresh passes out of a single towel. These hold lots of solution and are VERY Plush.

Both hose/buck and No-Rinse involve a pre-rinse and soak. In the case of a no-rinse system I use a garden sprayer to pre-soak the car with a fine to medium spray pattern being sure to cover every bit of dirt/panel. If you have the room in a garage and don’t mind a mist, you can even use a gravity fed system to feed an electric pressure sprayer and do the same thing. I pre-soak then wash in 5 stages; essentially the same as I do with a hose/bucket in the summer.

1. Wheels – Prevents splashing of nasty dirt up on a clean car
    2. Front clip/nose and trunk/tail next as rinsing them tends to splash the hood/trunk
    3. Hood-roof-trunk, windows. I do windows last in this case since they don’t scratch.
    4. Side 1; one panel at a time top to bottom
    5. Side 2; same

On the sides of the vehicle I tend to do all the top surfaces first then the bottoms being sure to put the lower portion dirty rags in the to-clean bucket quickly.

Steps.

1. Pre-soak, waiting a few minutes for the dirt to be encapsulated, oils and dirt to be broken up and solution to really work.
    2. Quick spray down once more just prior to washing the panel to wash away as much as I can and to get the dirt to flow DOWN/OFF the car. Spray top to bottom
    3. Wipe from top down using only a single pass per clean side or section of a towel. Each towel can be folded to a clean section allowing 16 passes per towel. More than enough for the entire panel or section. Keep the rage sopping wet and splash more ONR/Lube on the rage if needed.
    4. Last thing after each panel is washed is I give it another quick spray down top to bottom in order to push/wash away as much debris as I can. My powered sprayer is awesome for this as when combined with a good fan style spray tip it really works well at rinsing off any remaining aftermath.

I personally do not dry the panels one at a time as I go. Many do, but I don’t. Since I use distilled water, the clean panels blot dry easily and don’t tend to leave any drips or spots but if they do, a final wipe off with a clean dry MF Towel is all that’s needed.

Drying is the key IMO to keeping a car scratch/swirl free. IMO it causes more damage than a poor wash technique as when washing at least there’s more lubricity involved. When I do use a towel, I use a waffle weave towel and I NEVER drag it across the paint. I lay it out and blot it with pressure from my arm, pick up and move it and repeat. ANY wiping is only done with a clean, damp MF and No-rinse treated towel.

Once done I am a huge believer in a high quality detail spray and sealant. Both not only give the car a final spotless and flawless look but help insure future dirt has a layer of something there to help when pre-soaking the next wash cycle.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

^^^ #what'strendingcliffsnotes ^^^

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12