autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating V2 - 2016 WRX

Some of you may remember my issues with the Blackfire Crystal Coat. I had bought the whole BF CC Kit, and the general consensus seems to be that the LC Wedge Applicators make it difficult to apply the coating as thin as it needs to be. Nick offered to send me another bottle of it, or something else. I figured the spray would be easier, so I told him I would prefer either the DP or the PBL coating. He agreed to send me the PBL. Nick is an awesome dude.

The victim is my 2016 Subaru WRX - Crystal Black Silica...400 miles on the clock.
    PorterCable 7424XP
    5.5" LC Flats - orange, white, black
    Meguiars Ultimate Compound
    Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0

Tonight, I started on the wash, decon, polish process...again. It wasn't bad since it's been less than 2 weeks since I did a full polish and ended up sealing it with BF Crystal Seal. It had rained for all but maybe 3 days since the last polish and seal so I didn't have to get aggressive cleaning anything. I gave it a quick once-over with the Speedy Prep Sponge and I really couldn't tell that it picked up anything. I can't tell that I have any marring or swirls after drying so I'm not doing another all-over polish. I really don't want to overdo the cut/polish this early in the car's life, and burn through the clear in a couple of years. I'm also quickly coming to grips with the fact that my new car (daily driver) won't be perfect, and it will always have little scratches and nicks. I'm hitting whatever scratches I find with Meguiars Ultimate compound, and following with Wolfgang Finishing Glaze. I'm running low on the WGFG so I'm trying to be as sparing as I can. I used more on the hood, chasing hairline scratches, than I had hoped. The roof looked great so I skipped polishing it.

Anyway, I was really anxious, and a bit nervous, to see how the PBL DPC would work so I hit the hood and roof with the BFCC Paint Prep Spray, and started with the PBL DPC. I sprayed little-by-little, spreading it with a gold wax finger pocket. I kept my MF towel on my left shoulder so I could just transfer the bottle to my right hand with the finger pocket, and quickly wipe the excess off with my left hand.

This stuff rocks so far, and the application is super easy. It's really about as easy as BF Crystal Seal. You can feel when the surface is completely coated. The pocket will catch or stick on the bare areas. You just keep working it, spraying as needed, and the pocket will just glide across the paint. I may use it on our neglected 2013 Sienna. It's desperate need of attention. I had planned on using an AIO, but the PBL DPC is so easy to work with, I may go that route.

YMMV, but so far this has been much more enjoyable than my experience with the BFCC almost 2 weeks ago. I'll keep you guys updated, and hopefully post pics when I get it done tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating V2 - 2016 WRX

Never thought about using a finger pocket for this, I love the PBL coating but I use 2-5 applicator pads per car because I keep dropping them. Great idea, and will help with production time too not having to set anything down.
    Finishing Touch Auto (Stayton, OR)
    Ryan Hendricks (Owner) 503-602-8483
    FTA Website

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bonesteel View Post
    Some of you may remember my issues with the Blackfire Crystal Coat. I had bought the whole BF CC Kit, and the general consensus seems to be that the LC Wedge Applicators make it difficult to apply the coating as thin as it needs to be. Nick offered to send me another bottle of it, or something else. I figured the spray would be easier, so I told him I would prefer either the DP or the PBL coating. He agreed to send me the PBL. Nick is an awesome dude.

The victim is my 2016 Subaru WRX - Crystal Black Silica...400 miles on the clock.
    PorterCable 7424XP
    5.5" LC Flats - orange, white, black
    Meguiars Ultimate Compound
    Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0

Tonight, I started on the wash, decon, polish process...again. It wasn't bad since it's been less than 2 weeks since I did a full polish and ended up sealing it with BF Crystal Seal. It had rained for all but maybe 3 days since the last polish and seal so I didn't have to get aggressive cleaning anything. I gave it a quick once-over with the Speedy Prep Sponge and I really couldn't tell that it picked up anything. I can't tell that I have any marring or swirls after drying so I'm not doing another all-over polish. I really don't want to overdo the cut/polish this early in the car's life, and burn through the clear in a couple of years. I'm also quickly coming to grips with the fact that my new car (daily driver) won't be perfect, and it will always have little scratches and nicks. I'm hitting whatever scratches I find with Meguiars Ultimate compound, and following with Wolfgang Finishing Glaze. I'm running low on the WGFG so I'm trying to be as sparing as I can. I used more on the hood, chasing hairline scratches, than I had hoped. The roof looked great so I skipped polishing it.

Anyway, I was really anxious, and a bit nervous, to see how the PBL DPC would work so I hit the hood and roof with the BFCC Paint Prep Spray, and started with the PBL DPC. I sprayed little-by-little, spreading it with a gold wax finger pocket. I kept my MF towel on my left shoulder so I could just transfer the bottle to my right hand with the finger pocket, and quickly wipe the excess off with my left hand.

This stuff rocks so far, and the application is super easy. It's really about as easy as BF Crystal Seal. You can feel when the surface is completely coated. The pocket will catch or stick on the bare areas. You just keep working it, spraying as needed, and the pocket will just glide across the paint. I may use it on our neglected 2013 Sienna. It's desperate need of attention. I had planned on using an AIO, but the PBL DPC is so easy to work with, I may go that route.

YMMV, but so far this has been much more enjoyable than my experience with the BFCC almost 2 weeks ago. I'll keep you guys updated, and hopefully post pics when I get it done tomorrow.
    Please post pics, love those cars

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I finished the coating a little while ago. I'm gonna leave it in the garage until tomorrow. I'll snap some pics when I get it out in the sun.

I had a hard time on the back of the car. Nothing with the PBL coating. The BF Paint Prep didn't want to flash off right where the sun was shining through the garage door windows. It would evaporate too quickly, leaving a film in a couple places. I was running out of clean towels. I hope it doesn't interfere with the coating. If it does, the coating is cake to apply. I may just give the whole thing a "2nd" coat next week just to be safe.

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone used both PBL v1 as well as v2? I ask because I just applied this to my car and I'm pretty sure it's v1 and wanted to hear from people about it that have used either or.

Sorry for the thread jack but hopefully some more good info comes out, Thanks OP.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Has anyone used both PBL v1 as well as v2? I ask because I just applied this to my car and I'm pretty sure it's v1 and wanted to hear from people about it that have used either or.

Sorry for the thread jack but hopefully some more good info comes out, Thanks OP.

Did yours have the little V2 sticker on the bottle?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Did yours have the little V2 sticker on the bottle?
    Mine doesn't have that so it must be the v1.

This is going to be a great test for this as I can't top it with anything due to temps down in the garage and it's not like I'm going to my buddy's shop every weekend to top it, so I'm going to see how it holds up with routine RW and WW's, occasional touch free washes to get into the nooks and crannies as well as underneath the car which is most important out here.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used both. V2 is better in every aspect from ease of application and looks. Can't comment on longevity though as V1 wasn't on long until I used V2, and V2 wasn't on long until I used Uber Ceramic.

Post Thanks / Like

I found application of v1 to be pretty easy, every panel I did had to wipe down afterwards, does v2 eliminate this? I mean it was no big deal to me and wouldn't keep me from using it again which I will, in the spring, unless it holds up so well as far as looks AND durability...stay "tuned"👈

Post Thanks / Like

I found application of v1 to be pretty easy, every panel I did had to wipe down afterwards, does v2 eliminate this? I mean it was no big deal to me and wouldn't keep me from using it again which I will, in the spring, unless it holds up so well as far as looks AND durability...stay "tuned"
    I used v2 at the SoCal meetup with Mike Phillips a week ago. He said he wipes the surface a minute or two it after applying it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast